Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,670 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate from Massachusetts to North carolina, but I am looking for a neighborhood that has plenty of art amenities. I am an artist myself and love theaters, live music and eco-conscious people. Could someone tell me where can I find that in NC? Also, I need affordable living! Perhaps I am asking for too much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Hi Cara,

I think there are a number of places in NC that would suit you. The first place I thought of is Asheville--it has a thriving arts community and plenty of eco-conscious people. However, I think housing is generally a little more expensive there due to the demand, but I'm sure you could find something in your price range.

Winston-Salem is known as the "City of the Arts", as it has a very active arts community. Of course, the larger cities (Charlotte, Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh) will have arts opportunities just because of their size, but it may be more "spotty" in some than others.

I think most of the college towns would have decent arts opportunities and live music venues--Chapel Hill and Boone come to mind. But there are also many smaller towns that are trying to build and support their arts communities, places like Siler City, West Jefferson, New Bern, Hendersonville, among others.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara37 View Post
I want to relocate from Massachusetts to North carolina, but I am looking for a neighborhood that has plenty of art amenities. I am an artist myself and love theaters, live music and eco-conscious people. Could someone tell me where can I find that in NC? Also, I need affordable living! Perhaps I am asking for too much....
Is there a specific reason you are looking at NC in particular, since you seem to have narrowed it down to the state but no further? That seems odd to me--usually one finds a city they like, whatever state it's in. Anyway, if there is a reason you are hell-bent on being in NC, Carrboro is a very eclectic, artsy kind of town, and it's not far from Durham and Raleigh where there are lots of theatres and "city" Arts groups. Asheville, also,is known for its "artistic" community.

However, in NC, the "artsy" places tend to be the more expensive areas, simply because proximity to all that stuff is good for property values.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:51 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
I saw on a UNC/TV show recently that there's a lot of artists and art studios in an around the Seagrove area.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Superk, are you referring to the pottery studios in Seagrove, or did the show say that other types of artists are locating there? Just curious, as I haven't heard about many artists there other than the potters. Of course, the potters alone make it an incredible place, but it would be that much better if other types of artists are locating there.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
You might contact the NC Arts Council and ask them--these are folks whose job it is to support the Arts (of all types) in NC and they would of course be attuned to the climate.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 PM

101 posts, read 357,317 times
Seagrove has literally hundreds of potters--they are the primary artists there.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 AM

15 posts, read 32,599 times
The Triangle offers a lot just because of it's size. It certainly doesn't hold it's own against major U.S. cities, but it's got a neat mix of arts because of the different towns/neighborhoods. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is more "down home artsy" - small venues, galleries etc. Raleigh has a few theaters and concert venues and a newly renovated art museum. I'd actually look at certain parts of Durham. Durham can be high in crime, but if you get in the right neighborhood, it's really nice. I think they're really investing more in the arts there and it's up and coming. They just built a new performing arts center, have a lot of galleries, a more local feel. The American Tobacco area is really neat.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 23,147 times
Default Artsy Southern Pines

If you're looking for a nice small town, you might want to think about Southern Pines. It has lots of small "artsy" boutiques and galleries.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Asheville, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina