Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 21,833 times

Advertisements

Hey all from North Carolina. I'm looking to start a new life and family in North Carolina. I'm soooo tired of Ohio, particularly Elyria and I was wondering how things were down there. My fiance wants to move to somewhere near chapel hill so she can start a bakery there, I work retail and have lots of experience but I also work on computers, so I'm wondering where I should start as far as job hunting and apartment hunting. So how is it? I've heard North Carolina is beautiful. ANy and all help is appreciated. Hopefully you're new neighbors- Jon and Missy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Start job hunting now. What few jobs there are will be hard to find right now.

May be monster or career builder?

It is beautiful here, but so are a lot of other places.

It is being employed that makes it even more beautiful.

Best of Luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
^ What he said. In this economic climate, go where you can find a job, not where "you heard it was beautiful." Lots of places are beautiful, but NC has almost 11% unemployment, and that doesn't even count the thousands from out of state who are sending applications here as well. Job competition is pretty fierce in most fields, and there are still layoffs almost every week somewhere.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Well I'm 21, I have 4 1/2 years working in retail *grocery at Giant Eagle* I've done grocery, dairy, frozen foods, night crew, lot attendent, cashier, video store rental, photo lab tech, security, Front End supervisor and a few others. So finding a grocery job at least part time wouldn't be that hard for me right?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,347,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Frostbite View Post
Well I'm 21, I have 4 1/2 years working in retail *grocery at Giant Eagle* I've done grocery, dairy, frozen foods, night crew, lot attendent, cashier, video store rental, photo lab tech, security, Front End supervisor and a few others. So finding a grocery job at least part time wouldn't be that hard for me right?
Wrong. What do you think our "under-employed" residents are doing?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,298,657 times
Don't set your expectations too high. New surroundings don't mean a new life.

Does Missy have the capital to start a bakery? Or is that more of a long-term goal?

Do you have savings to live off of in case you can't get a job?

If you already have jobs, maybe it would be good to further your educations while you wait for the economy to improve. That can be done with less expense in your home state.

On the other hand, maybe for the two of you, a move would be perfect. If you've already chosen Chapel Hill, try posting in the Triangle subforum - there are a lot of regular readers/posters who will give you good information.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Frostbite View Post

Contact local stores like Food Lion (HQ in Salisbury NC) and Harris Teeter.

There are some Krogers here and smaller IGA like Edwards Foodliners.

Also west side of state has Ingels Grocery.

Bakeries have tough competition ad CH is very expensive to get in the real estate market.

Where you Find employment

beauty is there.

Don't stop looking
Don't come without income.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,737,872 times
I was talking with a manager in the local Harris Teeter the other day about a job this summer, for my daughter. His advice.

Call the Customer Service Manager at the store you wish to apply to within the last 4 or 5 days of the month. Talk to that person. After you have talked, then submit your application (all HT apps are on line). They only keep apps 30 days, and generally make hiring decisions near the first of the month.

Hope this helps. I think there are lots of states as pretty as NC, but I know getting a job right now in this state is VERY DIFFICULT.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 12-27-2009, 02:12 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,023,354 times
I just recently relocated from OH to NC this year, but the relocation only happened because we both had a job lined up. By the way, Elyria is not the WORST place to live. I lived just outside, near Grafton, in 2007-2008. Then I moved out near Bowling Green.

At any rate, my best advice is to get in with a company that has work in NC so that you can be an internal transfer. You'll have to pay your own relocation expenses, but you'll eliminate the not having an income problem. We both did an internal transfer through Time Warner Cable (corporate headquarters in Charlotte, NC). Otherwise, getting a job will be difficult because you're competing with everyone else in the area that is already here also looking for a job. The mindset is to give locals priority consideration.

Also, there are a few things about NC that you wouldn't realize while you're on the outside looking in. For one, it is A LOT more expensive to live here than it is OH. Yes, OH has high utility bills, but NC has high personal property taxes on things like the car you drive. The income tax is higher. Rent is a lot higher. Just a few things to consider.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM

Many thanks goes out to everyone who has offered helpful advice. I had a sit down talk with my fiance and finally asked her why she wants to move to NC out of everywhere we could go, and she simply told me "I feel a calling there".... not sure what that's supposed to mean but the move has been postponed until I can secure a proper job and living arrangments before I move there. As for the financing the bakery there are several private investors looking to sponsor her start up mainly from her catering to different events. LOL, thats one thing I can say for the woman... the good lord gave her the gift of baking :-D

Oh, and even if we dont move there we are still getting married in North Carolina in May
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina