Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:50 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,389,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
we are originally from Oregon, it is slower paced here than we are used to, also we get comments constantly about why we dont go to church. My husband is in construction and was actually told to cover his tattoo and go to church and he might get more work. Our neighbors here are really nice, mostly because they to are from other places, but the first neighborhood we lived in after they found out we dont go to church people actually stopped talking to us, this I dont understand.
This is why I'm continuously telling folks from outside the south: if you're worried about the cultural differences and have concerns about the "Bible Belt" stigma, avoid the suburbs and rural areas and live in the city/urban areas. I guarrantee you 100% no one in my downtown neighborhood gives a flying crap about your tattoos or whether or not you go to church. Most of them sleep til noon on Sundays anyways, then follow up with a Bloody-Mary Brunch! And those that do go to church get along with everyone else all the same...your religion is your own dang business.
The very idea that neighbors would avoid you cuz you don't go to church.....or decide whether to hire your husband for construction work based on that....just disgusts me to no end. I would never live in such a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 12:56 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,791 times
Yea it has been interesting for sure, he isnt having a problem in AZ, I do have a neighbor now that is very into religon and wouldnt come to our christmas party because I was allowing people to drink, and has asked me if I a mready to be saved, I just say no need thanks and move on.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:58 PM

477 posts, read 1,578,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
This is why I'm continuously telling folks from outside the south: if you're worried about the cultural differences and have concerns about the "Bible Belt" stigma, avoid the suburbs and rural areas and live in the city/urban areas. I guarrantee you 100% no one in my downtown neighborhood gives a flying crap about your tattoos or whether or not you go to church. Most of them sleep til noon on Sundays anyways, then follow up with a Bloody-Mary Brunch! And those that do go to church get along with everyone else all the same...your religion is your own dang business.
The very idea that neighbors would avoid you cuz you don't go to church.....or decide whether to hire your husband for construction work based on that....just disgusts me to no end. I would never live in such a place.

But what is life like in the city of Charlotte? I thought many on here said don't live in town but in the suburbs. Im confused. I have a tatoo and we don't go to church. Not that I won't, just haven't found one im comfortable with here in AZ. I dunno, maybe the "south" isnt for us.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 PM

477 posts, read 1,578,796 times
Quote:
We are off to Arizona, hot I know!

Now Im not so sure.I am originally from Northen California(very liberal) and I live in AZ. I have been looking into NC and I know I have to draw my own opinions when I go out there but the things that you have said are really resignating with me. I may PM you......

Old 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75
Now Im not so sure.I am originally from Northen California(very liberal) and I live in AZ. I have been looking into NC and I know I have to draw my own opinions when I go out there but the things that you have said are really resignating with me. I may PM you......
Not a problem PM me we can talk

Old 07-24-2006, 04:58 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,577 times
Quote:
we are originally from Oregon, it is slower paced here than we are usedto, also we get comments constantly about why we dont go to church. My husband is in construction and was actually told to cover his tattoo and go to church and he might get more work. Our neighbors here are really nice, mostly because they to are from other places, but the first neighborhood we lived in after they found out we dont go to church people actually stopped talking to us, this I dont understand.

Better not head to Gilbert then. If you don't fit in in Apex we won't fit in in Gilbert.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,538,809 times
I have to say that I like Apex. Atleast I like it a lot better than I liked living in the rest of Wake County.... and I really do think it's sad that it is fast becoming just like the rest of Wake County. Again, recently dubbed "the New Cary".

Old 07-24-2006, 05:58 PM

787 posts, read 3,574,128 times
I live in a poverty county and yet Sharon and Brianna both tested very high on the standardized tests. They were both in the 95th percentile in nearly every area. Sharon's math was slightly lower than Brianna's. But of course, Sharon is a grown woman now and Brianna is only 12 so that might account for some of it. I am not too certain exactly how the testing works with different age groups. But Sharon went on to Peace College in Raleigh and graduated in 2000 with a double major in communications and business. And Brianna continues to do well in school even though she is back in another county with her birth mother now. She was a foster child I raised for 6 years. I never saw any problems with the schools down here. My sister was 3rd in her class and I graduated from nursing school saluatorian in 1980. My other sister was a lost cause. She is 10 years older than I am and ran off and got married when she was 14. Believe it or not, she and the man and 4 kids later are still married. And she has more money than anyone else around her. Go figure. Of course, I have questioned the methods that her husband went to in order to be successful too. But somewhere along the way, he had to learn something.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,258,269 times
I'm a church-going conservative and I would never shun someone just because they had a tattoo or didn't go to church. That's just not right.

As for schools, I'm pretty satisfied with my kids' school. It's not overcrowded (about 15-20 kids per class), there are no trailers, the school usually scores well (I can't think of what it's called), etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 72,674 times
Default where?

what is your area Niki?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina