Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,258,269 times

Advertisements

We live in south Greensboro not far from Pleasant Garden. We're in a subdivision on Randleman Rd. that's barely in the city limits. It wasn't in the city limits when we bought our house. I reckon the city just had to have those extra taxes. But we're doing okay. So...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 02:59 PM

543 posts, read 1,818,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hug631
I have nocited that everyone moving to NC are very happy to move. All of the families out there, the ones with CHILDREN, are you guys concerned a little bit about schooling? are guys doing the research on this? am I missing something here? Do we have more single people or couples with no children moving to NC? As far as I understand (at least from this forum) schools suck in NC
I am getting so discourage to move just by reading all the posts about this...
Just in general Mecklenburg County schools get a bad rap in here all the time. It's the same folks repeating the same thing and they heard it from someone else. I could be wrong but I haven't actually heard from many parents in here whose kids are going to Meck county schools.

Not all schools are created equal. There are good schools in Meck county you just need to pick the right place to live to go to the right schools. Busing which was a problem due to open school choice has pretty much been removed from most of the suburbian schools ( this will also help with overcrowding and portable classrooms). Schools that are at capacity with neighborhood children are not open for school choice anymore. All students are now guaranteed a seat in their home school and will not be shipped off.

Every school system has their drawbacks. We've talked with about 40 parents at the schools our kids will be going to in Meck county and it's about 90% good 10% bad. We have friends who've lived down here for a few years and they like the schools that their kids go to even claiming that they are better than the school they came from in Massachusetts.

One other thought. It's not all about the schools either, there's a certain amount of parenting involved that can even help a child in a bad school acheive success.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,061,213 times
Quote:
One other thought. It's not all about the schools either, there's a certain amount of parenting involved that can even help a child in a bad school acheive success.

I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for making that statement. I, for one, am a true believer in public schools and making them work for you and your family. That involves heavy involvement from the homefront. My involvement tends to be more than some, due to having a child with intense special needs.

Last edited by Yac; 07-26-2006 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-26-2006, 04:13 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,708,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
we are originally from Oregon, it is slower paced here than we are usedto, also we get comments constantly about why we dont go to church. My husband is in construction and was actually told to cover his tattoo and go to church and he might get more work. Our neighbors here are really nice, mostly because they to are from other places, but the first neighborhood we lived in after they found out we dont go to church people actually stopped talking to us, this I dont understand.
Which neighborhood was the first one you lived in? Was it also in the Apex area?

This is the stuff that worries me.

I don't have any tatoos but I have piercings and I don't go to church.

I'm definitely not looking at moving to any suburbs in NC.

Last edited by ITChick; 07-26-2006 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
This is why I'm continuously telling folks from outside the south: if you're worried about the cultural differences and have concerns about the "Bible Belt" stigma, avoid the suburbs and rural areas and live in the city/urban areas. I guarrantee you 100% no one in my downtown neighborhood gives a flying crap about your tattoos or whether or not you go to church. Most of them sleep til noon on Sundays anyways, then follow up with a Bloody-Mary Brunch! And those that do go to church get along with everyone else all the same...your religion is your own dang business.
The very idea that neighbors would avoid you cuz you don't go to church.....or decide whether to hire your husband for construction work based on that....just disgusts me to no end. I would never live in such a place.
I do agree with you. I guess I'm just used to suburban areas (not the rural ones) being a little more forgiving of those that are "different". I guess that's not true in NC.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,791 times
We lived in North Raleigh in Windsor Forest, I like Apex alot more but we still have the same issues just not as wide spread as we had there, we have a few neighbors that have said things, like I need to be saved especially when they do the math and find out I had my oldest (18) at 17.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
We lived in North Raleigh in Windsor Forest, I like Apex alot more but we still have the same issues just not as wide spread as we had there, we have a few neighbors that have said things, like I need to be saved especially when they do the math and find out I had my oldest (18) at 17.
That really sucks. I would hate if my neighbors said things to me like that.

I think I understand now why you are leaving NC. I hope you and your family can find a better place in AZ.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:41 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,791 times
Yea just because you think you want to live somewhere doesnt mean you should, guess we found that out.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,538,809 times
Quote:
Yea just because you think you want to live somewhere doesnt mean you should, guess we found that out.
Try telling that to 90% of the people on this forum.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:31 PM

477 posts, read 1,578,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Try telling that to 90% of the people on this forum.

What area of NC do you live in? What is it about it there that you don't like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina