Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times

Advertisements

Yeah, same thing for me. Being far from family just isn't worth it. I'm not nearly as far as you are, but it's still too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 08:59 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Yeah, same thing for me. Being far from family just isn't worth it. I'm not nearly as far as you are, but it's still too much.
If your family was there, would that stop you from leaving?

Old 07-27-2006, 11:01 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Default Cultural Christianity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
we are originally from Oregon, it is slower paced here than we are usedto, also we get comments constantly about why we dont go to church. My husband is in construction and was actually told to cover his tattoo and go to church and he might get more work. Our neighbors here are really nice, mostly because they to are from other places, but the first neighborhood we lived in after they found out we dont go to church people actually stopped talking to us, this I dont understand.
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. I was a pastor in NC for 12 years and had to constantly confront the "cultural Christianity" that is deeply ingrained in the fabric of Southern Society. Sad to say, just because there are lots of churches doesn't mean there is a lot of Christianity.
I grew up in Michigan and found that as a Yankee, I really couldn't address these issues effectively. I too did not fit in and felt like I needed to move on.
I hope that you some day will meet some authentic believers and not just cultural Christians.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
If your family was there, would that stop you from leaving?
Possibly. I would still take issue with the "tansient community" feel of the area, and DEFINITELY still be sick of the school district. But if family was here, it would be easier. With that logic.... will your family being in NY (or wheve anyone who is reading this is from) make you reconsider you leaving?

Old 07-27-2006, 12:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
Quote:
Possibly. I would still take issue with the "tansient community" feel of the area, and DEFINITELY still be sick of the school district. But if family was here, it would be easier. With that logic.... will your family being in NY (or wheve anyone who is reading this is from) make you reconsider you leaving?
Part of my family is moving down, I know others where close friends all move...A friend if mine is leaving and is hoping her neighbors will become a new family, with so many people that are leaving family, this may hold true.

Family is very important but I cannot make my decision personally based on that as there are other things to consider. If I or anyone if my family is struggling to stay here, how can I expect them (or them of me) to stay somewhere that is not affordable anymore.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I am in Apex and we are looking to leave, too. The schooling situation is the main reason, as well as the desire for a lower cost of living. Wake County schools don't "suck" unless you have a child with special needs. Last year I found out that due to budget restrictions and overcrowding it is VERY hard to get services for children who aren't severely impaired. I was disgusted with how the school system kept trying to lay the blame on me. The school psychologist actually told me "we aren't required to provide your child with an optimal education, just an adequate one" That kind of an attitude is one of the main reasons we are putting our house up for sale and getting out of Wake County.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:18 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
My family visited here and needless to say they dont want to come back, so I am moving on.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:19 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Default Special Needs Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc
I am in Apex and we are looking to leave, too. The schooling situation is the main reason, as well as the desire for a lower cost of living. Wake County schools don't "suck" unless you have a child with special needs. Last year I found out that due to budget restrictions and overcrowding it is VERY hard to get services for children who aren't severely impaired.
Yes my niece lives in Beaufort NC. She and her husband adopted a special needs child. She has had a really tough time finding the educational support they need. Her husband is a professional social worker and has great access to the system, and has still had problems.
Hope you can find a place that will address your needs.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:45 PM

217 posts, read 800,117 times
Quote:

NOOOO! Well, that is not true..I will miss my dad and brother...they are really the only family I have left. But I will not miss my in-laws or their family...they have not liked me from the beginning and are so mean and negative. You know the people that smile at you and make a really mean comment at the same time. (ex: "Wow it is so hot today..too bad you are so heavy that you can't wear a nice sun dress") My husband and I both are so happy to put some distance between us and them. It reached a breaking point when my oldest made a comment that reminding me of them!

I would love to have the type of family that I would want to stay for.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
I have a special needs child, and we are in Jersey. This problem is not unique to NC. We have endured nightmare experience, after nightmare experience with our school district. My 12-year-old son has not had an educational placement since November 2005. We've had two resolution meetings, a third one scheduled for August 3 and we're awaiting a hearing date for due process. The courts are so backlogged that the district's attorney promised they could wait me out, as it is likely we wouldn't get a decision from a juge before early 2007.

The school district thought I would go away. They thought I would accept the crappy IEP they threw our way. They were content with my son sitting in the back of a classroom, falling more and more behind, the gap widening between he and his peers, as he got older. Despite the school district having more resources and financial means than me, the law is constructed in a manner where the onus is on the parent to prove that the child's needs aren't being met.

I can't tell you how many days have ended with me in tears over this situation. But even worse, I can't tell you how many times my son cries over it.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina