Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM

14 posts, read 52,609 times

Advertisements

My husband just took a job in the Southport NC. Our early twenties sons are moving with us to go to community college and work. Does anyone have the pros and cons for me about that area? I know some about the Woodpeckers. I visited BSL last spring and thought it was okay but we only drove through briefly. Our price range is between 160,000 and 190,000. Seems to be quite a few for sale there. I would appreciate any advice. We went to Holden Beach and shopped in Supply, Shallotte and Bolivia areas but only briefly.Seems to be less happening as far as traffic than the larger Wilmington area.

Last edited by MaryKaye; 05-21-2007 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 AM

56 posts, read 326,800 times
There was another thread started a few pages back "boiling springs lake".
I know, the "s" should be on "lakes" but thats the way it was started.
Anyway, check about 5 pages back and you will find some info there.
Right now $160,000 to $190,000 will get you a fairly nice house in BSL.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,408 times
Other than the hurricanes, I envy your move to that area. I love Southport and Oak Island. Boiling Spring Lakes (I lived there as a kid) is a nice, quiet town to live in. And Wilmington is close enough if you want to go shopping and do other things.

Really, the only con that comes to my mind are the hurricanes. You'll be in a peaceful setting with more "exciting" things to do not too far away.

I hope y'all enjoy life there.

All the best!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 AM

14 posts, read 52,609 times
Default Thanks for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.Citizen View Post
There was another thread started a few pages back "boiling springs lake".
I know, the "s" should be on "lakes" but thats the way it was started.
Anyway, check about 5 pages back and you will find some info there.
Right now $160,000 to $190,000 will get you a fairly nice house in BSL.
Thanks for hooking me up to the thread on BSL I need to get the "S" in the correct spot on Lakes not Springs. Right? We are getting ready to put or old house on the market here in Mercer, Pa. A very small historical town about 60 miles north of Pittsburgh. This was a great place to raise the kids but now we are ready for NC.
I know nothing about living in a "hurricane" area. Have you had to evacuate BSL? How often? We have been vacationing in MB area for the last 20 years and have heard a few stories, but thats it.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 AM

56 posts, read 326,800 times
Just remember there is just one Boiling Spring with many Lakes all around.
I helped me to remember where the dreaded "s" belonged.
Here is what I think are very informative website's on hurricanes and stormsurge in NC. http://hurricanetrack.com/ncstormsurge/mainpg.html (broken link)
and
http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/emerge...ss_500-1-3.pdf

Most damage that occurs is usually with beach front property and low lying areas that flood. Evacuations are mostly for the beach communities and islands. I don't want to give you a false sense of security but, Southport has
houses that go back 100-150 years. http://www.southportnc.com/tours/Historic_Homes_-_Waterfront/index.php (broken link)
Oak Island has many, many homes that were built in the 1950's -'60's that are still standing. As far as BSL, I've never heard of a house being destroyed due to a hurricane. Maybe someone else out there knows of one.
In the end just use your better judgement and you will be fine.
Mercer huh? My parents were born in Butler. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:02 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Hurricane Charley (cat-1, 2004) tore the shingles off roofs of the 1st and 2nd row of homes on Oak Island.
Hurricane Ophelia (strong cat-1, 2005) caused wide spread flooding in Brunswick Co. after lingering for 4 days and dumping 17" of rain in the area. Boiling Spring Lakes had flooded streets.
Tropical storm Tammy (2005) also flooded many streets in Brunswick Co., several in Boiling Spring Lakes.
We have property on the mainland at Sunset Beach (just south of Boiling Spring Lakes) so I check out StarNewsonline frequently (local paper for Pender and Brunswick Co's). Just make sure you are on high ground!!
There is also talk about building a large seaport in Southport so you might want to factor that in your search for a home.
Good luck with your move, it's a great area, smack dab between the hustle and bustle of Wilmington and Myrtle Beach.
I envy your impending move, can't wait to kick back on the beach

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,196 times
I moved to boiling sprins lakes in 2007 love it. close enough to beach and far enough away frim the big storms. its very family type of place alot of people from sunny point and progress enegry who get transfered a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina