U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times

Advertisements

My friend and I haven been thinking about moving for quite some time now. We both are in the Kennebunk maine area which is a nice rural area, but not far from stores and some action (about a 15 minute drive) and the ocean. I like the seasons, but dislike great amounts of snow and super cold weather (its a whopping 17 degrees outside today! burr). We have pondered the carolinas, texas and Georgia. Any other ideas or suggestions? I have a love for the ocean and don't see myself moving somewhere where the coast would be more of a couple hour drive. I also cannot afford to live on the water either. I love mountains as well, and that is one of the reasons the carolinas are so attractive to me, best of both worlds with the ocean and mountains. I love Maine for its beautiful scenery and nice summers, but its definately time for a change, someplace warmer, rural, nice people, not too far of a drive to excitement, work or stores. Schools play a roll here too, my friend has a 5 year old boy so the school systems have to be good. I also read in a blog yesterday about the carolinas most places for employment not offering bennies or a 401K, and that is important to me as well. I currently work for the toll system up here as well as in the housing field as a counselor for cccs. A sense of feeling "safe" is a requirement as well for where we decide to land. I greatly dislike feeling like I am sitting on top of my neighbor, I would prefer a nice home with some land, a place to not worry about walking outside to get the mail in my pj's and be seen by the whole neighborhood. Any ideas on areas to explore? all suggestions are greatly welcome, and thank you all very much in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM

4,640 posts, read 6,464,161 times
I'll give you the same advice I've put on numerous of these threads. The unemployment rate in the Carolinas is already pretty high and it's being strained by all the people trying to relocate. Get a job lined up FIRST, then worry about where in the area to live.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times
oh well definately plan to do so, I am just curious for other areas to take a look at that might be of interest.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

10,633 posts, read 21,317,596 times
Neither is in NC, but check out Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. The "culture shock" may be a bit daunting for a New Englander (smack into "Old South" in many ways) but they're coastal towns with history as well as both rural and urban aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina