Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 AM

38 posts, read 211,010 times

Advertisements

I have been triing to decide weather I want to relocate to cartersville ga or north carolina either charlote suburbs, winston-salem, or raleigh suburbs. Does north carolina have a big problem with gnats or mosquitos or bugs in general. I like in michigan we have our share of bugs here. Whats it like in nc? I have read that georgia has lots of gnats and mosquito problems in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
No gnats or mosquitos. Most bugs here are termites, crickets, ants, ticks, fleas - those types of pests. And, these are all controlled with a regular pest control service. I've been to Georgia many times and haven't noticed any problems with gnats or mosquitos there either, but they are experiencing problems with fire ants.

Maybe in the rural areas ... possibly.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Are you kidding me??? No mosquitos in NC? LOLOL Oh man. Im not trying to harp, but considering that NC is loaded with em, your statement was just bizarre. LOL

http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/phpm/html/mosquitoes.html (broken link)

As for mosquitos, NC also has several species of venomous snakes, including the large eastern diamondback (probably the most dangerous rattler in the states), timber rattlesnakes, even a species of scorpion (Vaejovis carolinianus), which isnt considered harmful. NC is full of harmful wildlife. Mosquitos, although plentiful, should be the least of your problems, other than being a nuisance. There are also southern black widows (latrodectus mactans) in NC...

Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,668 times
Having lived in Maine and spent time in MI and MN in the summers, I will tell you that from my perspective this is NOTHING. It's just not in the same ballpark. There are a few mosquitoes here, but nothing at all like MI or ME or MN where the mosquito is the state bird. I sit out very comfortably all summer long, even at dusk.

Steve-o seems to think this is quite a scary place! There are rattlesnakes, although nothing like AZ where I last lived! I've never seen one here. What he left out is the Copperhead, which is far more prolific than the rattlesnake here. It's something I think about, especially when walking through woods or by a creek, but it's not something to obsess over. Black widows? Yes, but unless you are sticking your hand into their web (which is in dark places), you're all set there--they don't venture out. Sounds like he's just trying to scare you.

It's not a scary place, and I've lived in ME, MD, NJ, CA, AZ, NY, DC, so I'm not just saying that b/c I grew up here or something (which I didn't).

Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Having lived in Maine and spent time in MI and MN in the summers, I will tell you that from my perspective this is NOTHING. It's just not in the same ballpark. There are a few mosquitoes here, but nothing at all like MI or ME or MN where the mosquito is the state bird. I sit out very comfortably all summer long, even at dusk.
that's interesting, I assumed that it was too cold for mosquitos to thrive in those northern areas. I guess in some of the milder and wet northern climates (Like coastal Maine & Michigan), mosquitos would thrive.

But it definitely depends on where you live. Meaning, that wet, swampy areas are going to have more mosquitos. I don't know where in NC you live, but I assume it's west of the fall line. In the swampy coastal plain of NC, SC, and GA, the 'skeeters will pick you up and carry you off.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
We have a home in the city of Asheville in the mountains. I have noticed very few mosquitoes here, up in the higher elevations there are really none to speak of. Around my house they are around August and September, probably less than two months and not bad at all. Quite different from my home state of Fla!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM

MaimounaKounda, I never said it was scary, did I? I was educating folks, if youve got a problem with that, then PM me or dont comment at all. Im sure there are PLENTY of folks who moved there and found rattlers in there yard and were utterly shocked.

What are your chances of seeing them? Probably small. Im just letting you know theyre there, its a good idea (especially if you have curious children).

NC is not scary, but it does host dangerous wildlife, be aware of your surroundings.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Also, the copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) is the least of your worries in the venomous snake world, I can only think of one fatality from one of their bites in recent times. The eastern diamondback (Crotalus adamanteus) is the one you need to be aware of... they can get to be 6-7' long and can inject copious amounts of venom. Once again, not trying to scare anyone, but if you live around them, you better take some time to learn what they look like and what their habitat is, it might save you a hospital trip and a massive hospital bill.

Heres the perfect example, just the other month up here in northern IL, a dog was bitten by a eastern massassauga rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus). The dog was acting strange and wheezing, etc. The owner, thank goodness, reacted fast and got it to the vet where they got everything under control. After the swelling went down did they even notice the bite marks (massassaugas are small)! They then called the IDNR who sent out Scott Ballard who confirmed it was a 'sauga bite. The owners were completely unaware that rattlesnakes even existed in IL (BIG mistake on their behalf)! Just goes to show that you should be aware of wildlife in your area, it might just save a life. No joke.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:01 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We have a home in the city of Asheville in the mountains. I have noticed very few mosquitoes here, up in the higher elevations there are really none to speak of. Around my house they are around August and September, probably less than two months and not bad at all. Quite different from my home state of Fla!
I never noticed as many mosquitoes in Asheville either, but it's also much drier in the French Broad River basin. That's the driest area in the state for that matter, with downtown Asheville receiving less than 40 inches of precipitation a year. It's not limited to the far eastern part of the state though. Here in the foothills I can hardly go outside without being completely covered by them. Plenty of gnats as well. This area also receives around 65 inches of precipitation annually.

I don't think you'll be completely safe from mosquitoes anywhere east of the Mississippi.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
We'e been living in various cities all over the Piedmont region for 11 years. As I stated earlier, I rarely see mosquitos or gnats. The last time either of us got bit by a mosquito was before we moved to NC.

Maybe it's a different story in the more rural areas, or where you're closer to the usual breeding grounds for mosquitos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina