Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Hopefully North Carolina will remain progressive and not cater to backward thinking..
Many of the states realize gay marriage is a constitutional right.
If you separate the religious aspect and just look at the legal equal treatment to all people right they should be given the right.

Gays are not wanting special rights just be treated equal. Given the right to visit their partner on their death bed but cant because the hospital only allows immediate family.
Given the right to be covered under their partners insurance.

here is a list of states

North East Plains/Midwest North West
South West Countries: above list hasn't been fact checked

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-04-2010 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
I always thought marriage was a matter for the church and NOT government.
\
It confuses me that government can be allowed to make rules governing religion.??

Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I believe that freedom to marry is a right under the constitution....but like laws against inter racial marriage....it will take a Supreme Court decision.....all the states will never uphold Equal protection under the law for marriage anymore than the Southern States would recognize their state laws violated Constitutionally Protected Rights..it took a SCourt decision. I think several of the states would still outlaw inter racial marriage if they could "Proposition 8" it.

But I know I will have to wait....and it may not happen in my lifetime.....but we get closer to justice every decade.....and it is coming.

MLK once said...."the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice. It bends towards justice, but here is the thing: it does not bend on its own. It bends because each of us in our own ways put our hand on that arc and we bend it in the direction of justice...."

I am not discouraged......for I know that we shall overcome.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,840 times
It's strange to me how many people are concerned with "gay marriage". I know it's other issues going on in each state we should focus on. I could careless who's marrying whom!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Hopefully North Carolina will remain progressive and not cater to backward thinking.
Many of the states realize gay marriage is a constitutional right.
If you separate the religious aspect and just look at the legal equal treatment to all people right they should be given the right.

Gays are not wanting special rights just be treated equal. Given the right to visit their partner on their death bed but cant because the hospital only allows immediate family.
Given the right to be covered under their partners insurance.

here is a list of states

North East Plains/Midwest North West
South West Countries: above list hasn't been fact checked
I think it would happen faster if we termed it "domestic partnership" instead of gay marriage Sunny. Either way, I do hope to see resolution to this in my lifetime

Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Don't hold your breath! My 5th grade teacher(circa 1968) was a wise woman. I remember her calling North Carolina the "Rip Van Winkle State", 20 years behind the times. I have never forgot that lesson. NC has always been less progressive in my eyes. I think things have improved in recent years but still has a ways to go. I think there will be gay marriage at some point but it will be a looooong time.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think it would happen faster if we termed it "domestic partnership" instead of gay marriage Sunny. Either way, I do hope to see resolution to this in my lifetime
I agree I feel asking for marriage steps on to many toes and the older population especially cant separate the religious aspect from the legal aspect
I'm ok with it being called domestic partnership as long as it has all the benefits a marriage has

Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I always thought marriage was a matter for the church and NOT government.

It confuses me that government can be allowed to make rules governing religion??
Marriage was originally a "property deal" between kingdoms or neighboring rulers, to create lines of succession for property.

Your question is exactly backwards: Marriage is a legal contract between two adults; the question is why religious groups think they can influence a contract matter, not the other way around. Churches can do what they want and bless or not bless unions as they want, but marriage in this country confers major property rights and other rights, which have nothing to do with churches; an atheist gets the exact same marriage rights as the most devout religious person.

The correct solution is to remove the connection between church and government altogether, and let the civil contract be one thing, and let religious institutions bless or not bless unions as they see fit (kind of the way the Catholic church currently requires many to "annul" a previous marriage, even if it lasted for decades, before the church will "bless" it--but the civil marriage is legal).

Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Don't hold your breath! My 5th grade teacher(circa 1968) was a wise woman. I remember her calling North Carolina the "Rip Van Winkle State", 20 years behind the times. I have never forgot that lesson. NC has always been less progressive in my eyes. I think things have improved in recent years but still has a ways to go. I think there will be gay marriage at some point but it will be a looooong time.
NC is far, FAR from the most regressive "rip Van Winkle" state--on the political spectrum, it's just about in the middle. Guess what? In case you haven't noticed, things have changed since 1968!!

However, every state, even California, that has put this issue to the voters has voted it down (usually through TV ads funded by churches that play to emotions, not logic).

The only way NC, and 75% of the states in the USA, will recognize same-sex marriage is when it is addressed on a Federal level. And fraknly, until Federal recognition, same-sex marriage is a poor substitute for (opposite-sex) marriage anyway, since major issues such as Social Security inheritance, etc still don't come into play, even in Massachusetts and other states that recognize same-sex marriage.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,992 times
i could care less who wants to marry who...
all they want is the right to the benefits that us heterosexuals have during life and after...
i say let them enjoy...
america has BIGGER issues than **** getting married......

next topic sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina