Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which builder would you choose, considering everything($,quality,design,features,etc)
Orleans Homebuilders 14 11.48%
Ryan Homes 10 8.20%
Shea Homes 17 13.93%
K. Hovnanian 13 10.66%
Niblock 3 2.46%
Pulte 10 8.20%
Saussy Burbank 8 6.56%
St. Lawrence Homes 8 6.56%
DR Horton 12 9.84%
Other - Please name & explain in thread 50 40.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:00 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,834,614 times

Advertisements

I have seen big electric boxes on lots, in all the developments but never an exposed pipe. Maybe it had been a bit underground & the soil got washed away? Interesting.
As for the price on the homes they had good floorplans & the price included things that were options from other builders. For example, in the one development we saw, all the houses had base prices in the low $300K range. St. Lawrence had a gorgeous model , but it was was about $580K the way it was done up, whereas the Drees model was $370, similarly done. Furthermore, The $350K St. Lawrence house was nowhere as nice as the $350K Drees house..

We still have to decide if the Drees way of building is better or worse than stick built (Like St. Lawrence), I have heard both sides of that debate.
St. Lawrence had some massive closets but I do not want too much square footage there- I prefer it in living areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 09:26 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I have seen big electric boxes on lots, in all the developments but never an exposed pipe. Maybe it had been a bit underground & the soil got washed away? Interesting.
As for the price on the homes they had good floorplans & the price included things that were options from other builders. For example, in the one development we saw, all the houses had base prices in the low $300K range. St. Lawrence had a gorgeous model , but it was was about $580K the way it was done up, whereas the Drees model was $370, similarly done. Furthermore, The $350K St. Lawrence house was nowhere as nice as the $350K Drees house..

We still have to decide if the Drees way of building is better or worse than stick built (Like St. Lawrence), I have heard both sides of that debate.
St. Lawrence had some massive closets but I do not want too much square footage there- I prefer it in living areas.
Nah. The pipe thing was intentionally laid on the property. Every house has it exactly the same way. I have to ask my friend why and also why he knows of many trying to sell their homes there. You can also check the subdivision that my friend is in which is across the road (Park at WestLake). There are a number of different builders. The one my friend had was Brazwell and he paid $350k for a 3k sq ft home. I must say that The Drees does have very nice homes.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,061 times
Default Saussy Burbank

I have friends who love their Saussy Burbank homes. On the other hand, I've heard that some of the other builders listed here are the McDonalds of the homebuilding world. This ranking is simply based on those who get the most clicks. I doubt most of those clicking for their builder of choice really knows enough about the others to make a meaningful comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
So far, no one has voted for Saussy Burbank and Ryan homes has 2 votes. Should we read anything into either of these? My perception was that Saussy was a good builder - but maybe its just that no one has much experience with them.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,834,614 times
ok anyone have an opinion on McCarr- they have a few subdivisions in the area
I looked at Stonegate today

Old 08-31-2006, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 56,916 times
I checked out Shea, Centex and Orleans this past weekend and have to say I was impressed with all 3. Orleans seemed to have more of a uniqueness to the floorplans and were nicely presented.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:21 PM

20 posts, read 70,528 times
Default Never use Shea Homes

I have a new Shea home and it has been a near nightmare of expierence. From the poor customer service to the poor quality. The sales team is great and then the company gets your downpayment (typically about $5000 to start) and the problems slowly start coming.

The worst of it comes after you close on the house and you need them to fix problems.

I would suggest that no one in Charlotte or the surrounding areas use Shea Homes. Any builder has to be better then them.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:25 PM

20 posts, read 70,528 times
Default Do not choose Shea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxdiva View Post
I checked out Shea, Centex and Orleans this past weekend and have to say I was impressed with all 3. Orleans seemed to have more of a uniqueness to the floorplans and were nicely presented.
I am not sure if you have chosen a builder yet. We are in a new shea home, we closed this summer. It has been and still is an awful expierence. We are in a new neighborhood and all the people in our area are in a state of regret for using Shea as thier builder.

They are great at Sales time, and OK during the Design portion as well. However when you see poor quality and quick workmanship, Shea is difficult to fix anything. Once they have your money, they do not care.

Shea is more concerned with not putting thier tradesmen out rather than ensuring the customer is satisfied with thier product.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:16 PM

240 posts, read 1,018,324 times
What neighborhood did you build your home? What specific problems did you have w/ quality? I have had Bruce hardwood floors before and they were fine. So was it the quality or lack of the contractors. I was thinking about building w/ Shea but I postponed the contract twice. I sent you a PM. I would love to here more of your opinion.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxdiva View Post
I have heard nothing but good about Centex. Check out this link I found about customer satisfaction:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006044 (broken link)

Old 09-13-2006, 04:24 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have heard nothing but good about Centex. Check out this link I found about customer satisfaction:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006044 (broken link)

I agree but check out this link I found through a Realtor about Centex.

http://www.mybrokerbryan.com/Centex_Homes/page_1571209.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina