Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,941 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to North Carolina. We live in Orange County, CA and are sick of the high prices (rent is around $3,000 per month ) just to be in a semi decent area that backs up to the freeway. I am a Realtor and for the first time in 10 years do not want to sell in my area. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated, opinions on jobs, property values, schools, locals hating new people moving in ........ ect..... Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Despite what you may have heard, the job market is not good. You should definitely not move before lining something up. Cost of living for most things (esp. Housing) will be less, but there are other areas that are about the same or probably slightly more.

Did you have a particular area of NC in mind? It's an extremely diverse state. What has made you choose NC?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,941 times
We are looking because of good reviews, I know a few people that have moved there and they are very happy. Smaller population. Looking around greensboro

Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM

69 posts, read 181,608 times
Do you have plenty of savings to invest? Could you rent your CA place for a good amount? I rented my Charlotte home rather than sell it. My negative carry is about $300 a month. This includes giving 8% to a realitor to collect the rent. I just bought an Old Victorian 1885 home about 3300 sq feet for 265000 in foreclosure. It I've already spent about 20 grand (mostly on a new AC system) and have about 30 to 40 grand more to spend. It is in a fantastic location in Downtown Wilmington and was a bed and breakfast. I still own a condo in Miami that I am putting up for sale. The negative carry is too high there. If you have capital and are willing to buy and rent I can tell you there are opportunities throughout the state.

Summers here though are VERY HOT. But you do have a lot of geographic diversity for the east coast. Climate in the mountains is closest to a Northern Cal climate though a bit hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. The southeast coast is almost as warm as northern Fla and you can bath in the water from Early May to October.

Cities: RDU is the most dynamic. It is a bit like a mini-version of the bay area economically speaking (only). High powered universities and a diverse job market. Charlotte is the financial center. I don't know much about the jobs in the Triad area but I do know a few corporations have headquarters there. Wilmington, Asheville and Boone are the most beautiful places to live but the job markets are limited there.

Politically the state is both very conservative and quite progressive. I would say it is the most progressive southern state but it is still in the south. Metro Durham (which includes Chapel Hill) is the most liberal and well left of the rest of the country. Most of the other major metro areas are about the same as the rest of the country. The rural areas are well to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina