Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:44 PM

136 posts, read 750,366 times

Advertisements

I moved to Clayton, from New Jersey. I am used to a GOOD bakery, full of crumb cake, italian bread, everything. I have found 1 bakery by Route 40 (on Route 42) that was alright, but definitely not what Im used to. And they didnt cary Crumb cake or Linsar Tarts. Boxed Crumb cake just doesnt cut it! I want good bagels, cakes, ect. Im willing to drive a bit, any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 05:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
You're probably not going to find outstanding examples of all of your items in one store, but as far as bagels go, you have both Bruegger's and Manhattan Bagel at various locations throughout the Raleigh-Durham Metro Area.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM

954 posts, read 4,365,891 times
As we would say up here - Fuggaboutit.
I lived at both ends of NC, and never found a decent bakery either.
In fact in the small town where my mom lives (foothills) a lady originally from Up-State opened up a real old fashioned bakery. It was phenomenal. I went there last summer and told my mom it wouldn't last. Well, guess what, they are closed.
But, you can get great biscuits where you are. Advice is cheap and this wont cost you a dime.
My suggestion is that you don't try to find the things you liked in NJ, if you are going to be happy in NC. Look at those things as a luxury you have only when you go back up north. Believe me, you will adjust much better to the difference.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,833,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojoe315
I moved to Clayton, from New Jersey. I am used to a GOOD bakery, full of crumb cake, italian bread, everything. I have found 1 bakery by Route 40 (on Route 42) that was alright, but definitely not what Im used to. And they didnt cary Crumb cake or Linsar Tarts. Boxed Crumb cake just doesnt cut it! I want good bagels, cakes, ect. Im willing to drive a bit, any advice?
The gourmet groceries that dot the area have some of these things but not all of them, and not all in one place.

You are coming from the food capital of the world.

I agree with MHogan, having lived away from NY at other times in my life. I find it is better to focus on what IS here, and there is so much to like, rather than on trying to find a copy of what isn't here.
You should look for the unique things here. There is a lot to try. There are different fast food places that have a more southern flair like Smithfield's for barbeque.
Instead of going to the diner on a weekend morning you can make your own eggs (gasp!) & have biscuits instead of bagels.

Isn't it funny how we take so much about the food selection for granted in NY? Hard to imagine living without it, but ,hey, the rest of the country does!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:10 PM

136 posts, read 750,366 times
Quote:
My suggestion is that you don't try to find the things you liked in NJ, if you are going to be happy in NC. Look at those things as a luxury you have only when you go back up north. Believe me, you will adjust much better to the difference.
I tottally understand that view. And dont intend to miss them ,but its the type of thing thatwould be nice to have here but all well. I figured I was living on a hope and a prayer to find that.

Quote:
Isn't it funny how we take so much about the food selection for granted in NY? Hard to imagine living without it, but ,hey, the rest of the country does!
That whole metro area. Your right. But theres things to be happy about in every part of the country. Diners.. I used to love going to them but we have no problem cooking for ourselves so thats a good thing. And when we want a treat, the Cracker Barrel will do just fine.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,897,739 times
I think we all have to keep in mind that while some of our creature comforts that we want in our new area, may be there, but different. Food is one example, each area of our US does have things that are different. Here in NY, bagels and pizza, would be one thing I will miss as I have heard there are not many places in the south to get one as I am used to.
(I say I am used to as to not say NC bagels or pizza are not good, but may be different then NY or whereever you are coming from)
And there will be wal-marts, targets, etc but these stores, even supermarkets, as most other stores use the demographics in the area and determine what to sell. So there may be a target but some items you are looking for are not there and some things you've never seen area..As I stated prev, if there is enough demand for something, the store will carry-it, generally spking...I know here many items that used to be in the supermarket are gone, whether the demand was lo or there was some other reason who knows...

Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,833,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojoe315
I tottally understand that view. And dont intend to miss them ,but its the type of thing thatwould be nice to have here but all well. I figured I was living on a hope and a prayer to find that.

That whole metro area. Your right. But theres things to be happy about in every part of the country. Diners.. I used to love going to them but we have no problem cooking for ourselves so thats a good thing. And when we want a treat, the Cracker Barrel will do just fine.
There is a diner in Cary and as Long Islanders we just HAD to check it out! This was back in January when my husband first moved down. We were too exhausted to find the box with bowls in it for breakfast! Anyway, the food was fine, but the ambiance was not there. At 8 am on a weekday morning there were maybe 6 people there including us. We realized that there just is not the same eating- out culture here. Seems people go as a treat not for their main meals.
I have decided to think of this as a big positive for us. I am cooking a lot more. Of course I am also working a lot less so it is easier to do than it had been back on the island.
Plus we have a seating area that is comfortable for all 5 of us so it is actually quite pleasant to eat at home.

Some stuff I have found...

Super Target (of all places!) has fairly priced breads like focaccia & sourdough.

The supermarket bakery muffins & croissants are fairly good too.
Last weekend my husband took me to a Fresh Food or Whole foods or something in North Raleigh. They had a NY-like bakery but the prices were outrageous. We bought some chicken rollatine. There was a nasty woman barking at the counter lady at the bakery, that she only wanted FRESH cake (as if the lady would have said, "yeah, here is a $24 STALE cake!) so that was our cue to leave!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 PM

34 posts, read 110,131 times
When I go back to visit NJ my first stop is the bakery, second is the bagel store. Really!

Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM

890 posts, read 4,314,968 times
I concur that there is a lack of bakeries in NC and SC too. I have been looking for one for the last 14 years. Sorry to say they just don't exist and getting it from the grocery just isn't the same to me. There is just something to be said about walking into a bakery with the smell and seeing all the goodies lined up. Nothing here even comes close.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
As we would say up here - Fuggaboutit.
I lived at both ends of NC, and never found a decent bakery either.
In fact in the small town where my mom lives (foothills) a lady originally from Up-State opened up a real old fashioned bakery. It was phenomenal. I went there last summer and told my mom it wouldn't last. Well, guess what, they are closed.
Why do you think that is? Apparently, folks want a old-time bakery, but not enough to actually use it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina