Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
The last time I checked this was a free country.
It is a free country but if you dont have money or a job then join the others in the unemployment line, home foreclosure or unable to pay your debt.
I didnt say to the OP not move here just letting them know the facts before making a decision that could provide more misery

The OP wants to get out of a state where unemployment is much worst,(14.7) and if they want to move south then choose Virginia its unemployment is only 6.6 but try to avoid the Washington metro.
Yesterday I just watch one of those home shows and the home in Alexander was only 950 sq ft sold for $440K. That will get you a Mcmansion in NC only if you have a way to make the morgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
I would look at Albemarle - it's a nice town halfway between beach and mountains. Has a nice state park next door.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It is a free country but if you dont have money or a job then join the others in the unemployment line, home foreclosure or unable to pay your debt.
I didnt say to the OP not move here just letting them know the facts before making a decision that could provide more misery

The OP wants to get out of a state where unemployment is much worst,(14.7) and if they want to move south then choose Virginia its unemployment is only 6.6 but try to avoid the Washington metro.
Yesterday I just watch one of those home shows and the home in Alexander was only 950 sq ft sold for $440K. That will get you a Mcmansion in NC only if you have a way to make the morgage.
There are many people who have enough money to buy a house outright (with cash leftover) in other states. I doubt relocating to another state is something anyone takes lightly. It's a major life change and a huge undertaking in many ways. I see so many threads started by people that want advice on other aspects of relocating and just get told to look for a job first. I'm sure the majority, if not all, of these people are thinking about what they're going to do for money until employment (if they don't have a job lined up) is secured. It would be nice if the questions people asked were answered instead of bringing up something they're well aware of already.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
There are many people who have enough money to buy a house outright (with cash leftover) in other states. I doubt relocating to another state is something anyone takes lightly. It's a major life change and a huge undertaking in many ways. I see so many threads started by people that want advice on other aspects of relocating and just get told to look for a job first. I'm sure the majority, if not all, of these people are thinking about what they're going to do for money until employment (if they don't have a job lined up) is secured. It would be nice if the questions people asked were answered instead of bringing up something they're well aware of already.
If you are not already living in NC than you have NO IDEA how bad things really are here right now. Sunny, and every other regular poster who mentions this, to those thinking of moving, is doing them a favor to let them know before they make the move.

You might find it hard to believe (I know I still do) but EVERY WEEK thousands of people still move here and MANY come thinking they'll find a job once they make the move. It is incredible to me that people do this, but they do. We talk to people here week in and week out who are in dire straits now for having done so.

In addition to putting themselves in a bad situation they make our unemployment situation even worse because they add more competition for the limited jobs that are available

This state, and Charlotte in particular, has an over-abundance of talent. Many people from other parts of the country think they are just so good at what they do and have such fine resumes that SURELY they will get a job. Well, in times past (prior to 2007) maybe you would - BUT NOT NOW.

Either come with a job or find one before you come - that's the plain and simple truth. I'm sorry if you think that is an "unfriendly" thing to say -because no one here is trying to be unfriendly. We are simply passing on the wisdom some people really need to hear, for ALL our sakes.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
GPC

I do understand the good intentions about employment prospects or lack thereof. Unemployment is a problem everywhere though right now. I'm sure some states have a higher rate than others but for the most part it's six of one or half dozen of the other. Do you think coming with enough money to live off of for a year is enough time to find a job? I'm not being snarky; it's a serious question. I'm just curious...

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I do understand the good intentions about employment prospects or lack thereof. Unemployment is a problem everywhere though right now. I'm sure some states have a higher rate than others but for the most part it's six of one or half dozen of the other. Do you think coming with enough money to live off of for a year is enough time to find a job? I'm not being snarky; it's a serious question. I'm just curious...
I appreciate your sincerity

I think one years worth of living expenses at a minimum is a good plan - 18 months would be better however

We were one of the last to fall in the recession and some are saying we'll be one of the last to recover.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:

You do not know what the op has nor there was mention so all assumptions are thrown out the window

Old 01-19-2010, 06:45 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You do not know what the op has nor there was mention so all assumptions are thrown out the window
Yes, you are right but I was really asking for myself. Of course, I probably should've just started my own thread. I didn't mean to hijack the op's thread. My apologies.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
First, I doubt that you "are sure" what they're planning for, because a great, great many of these posters specifically say "I want to find somewhere to live and then I will look for a job", showing that they apparently think they can just stroll out and get a job once they decide to. Some even state confidently "I know I will find a job within 3 months" or whatever. EVen those who budget a certain amount to live on until they get a job may very likely be budgeting for a "typical" job search length of time, not a "2010 in NC" length of time. It is actually doing people a favor to stress the direness of the situation here, rather than getting "Pollyanna" and saying "Oh, don't worry about getting a job--you seem like a friendly person and I know you'll get hired right away!"

Besides the high unemployment in NC, there is also a "phantom" unemployment rate consisting of people all over the country applying and interviewing for NC jobs. These don't even show up in the figures, but they definitely ramp up the competition for those going for any job. It's not doing anyone any favors to sugar-coat a situation, and based on many, many posts by would-be relocators, many haven't given much thought whatsoever about where their paycheck will come from. Some even say "I am determined to move to NC, but I don't know a thing about it!", showing they most certainly have NOT done their research on the state at all, let alone what they'll do about employment. I still say it's better to be safe than sorry, and to be cautious in making recommendations is safer than overly inflating someone's hopes.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMomAmy View Post
Hi I am in need of advice. My family (husband and 2 kids ages 4 and 14 months) are moving from Central Wisconsin (GOOD BYE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SNOW!) to North Carolina. I love the ocean my husband loves the mountains. I would like to know of a city/town that we can call home. A little bit about us... We are used to a small town, but would like to at least have a Wal-mart near by. I want a safe and good school for my children. Crimes rates low..... We have lower income and would rent an apartment. My husband is a "jack of all traits" and can go into working on cars or welding or construction. I am a CNA that can work with elderly or developmentally disabled. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Plus, let's be blunt. The OP says they are "lower income", the husband is a "jack of all traits" (trades, I assume) and she is a CNA (certified nursing assistant?) and they have two children. Neither one of those jobs sounds like it makes great money.

Assume they don't find jobs. I don't know exactly how one qualifies for unemployment compensation but is it fair to ask the taxpayers of NC to support the family?

There was a thread on the SC board from an ex-NJ woman seeking help for her electric bill and whining about how NJ has so much more assistance. She had only been in SC for a short time. NJ, apparently, helped pay her electric and had greater benefits for her disabled daughter. She was moving back because NJ was just so much more generous than SC.

My point is get jobs lined up and have a good reserve in savings before making a move and don't fantasize that just because the Carolinas or wherever doesn't have snow, that it will be a picnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina