Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 PM

305 posts, read 768,243 times

Advertisements

If you're really looking for great schools, I suggest a closer look at Chapel Hill and Carrboro. The CHC school system is very highly regarded. They aren't very big towns at all. I can drive all the way across both towns in less than 15 minutes.

Hillsborough is very quaint and a great town, but the reason many people who are house hunting end up closer to Chapel Hill and Carrboro is because of the schools. Hillsborough has Orange County schools and the folks I know who have kids there have been happy enough, but they don't have the excellent reputation that Chapel Hill Carrboro schools have. Pittsboro (south of Chapel Hill) is another very quaint small town, but the schools there are Chatham County schools. Again house-hunters often choose Pittsboro because Chatham County taxes are lower, but folks who are really concerned about schools try to buy in the CHC zones. I know several folks who are not thrilled with Chatham schools. I do know a few who have kids there, though. I also know many families with kids who go to Woods Charter (free) and private school.

FWIW, areas in the triangle (especially Chapel Hill/Carrboro and nearby) are going to be more liberal-leaning politically. Most areas in eastern NC are much more conservative politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM

119 posts, read 261,574 times
I would suggest Holly Springs, NC. Holly Springs is an up and coming town and is south of Apex, NC. It is about as close as you can get to the Cary area without being right in it. I grew up in Apex, NC and I love the area. The people in Apex and Cary are fairly affluent and have a reputation for being snooty rich people and Holly Springs is starting to join them. But all in all, the area is one of the best places to live in the US. Wake Forest is also a good town to look at and Hillsboro is not bad either. I like the Raleigh side of the Triangle in my opinion better than the Durham side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina