Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

So...how big is basketball in North Carolina? I heard it was popular. I also posted something similar in Kentucky, and there was a reference to it also being as huge in North Carolina.

Is it THE most popular sport in North Carolina?

Is there another sport more popular...or is Basketball pretty the main one? Are hoops set up outside fairly commonplace in driveways?

Also, would someone say it might even be more popular then football, etc.? Or is that just not said...?

Additionally, are basketball games something you'd see played in most sports bars throughout North Carolina, or at least certain areas of North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,747 times
Basketball is very huge in North Carolina, especially in the Raleigh-Durham area. However, at least where I live, Charlotte, football is just as popular. I mean football is football, it's America's sport.

Having lived in both, Kentucky and NC, I'd actually have to give the fanatical edge to Kentucky. But then again, that's all they have. Here in NC, we have the NBA, NFL, NHL and MANY college programs that split the fan base. In Kentucky, there is only one team, UK. Yes, they have Louisville, but their fan base is pretty much isolated to the Louisville metro area.

So while Kentucky has the most rabid fan base, NC enjoys the best college basketball experience in the country. If you are not a UK fan and live in Kentucky, there's very little in the way of a sports scene. Here in NC, we have UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, Charlotte, Davidson and now a very hot Bobcats team. If you are a basketball fan, that's a pretty large buffet to enjoy.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
COLLEGE, specifically ACC, basketball rules here. Pro, not nearly as much, but still has a following. "March Madness" during the NCAA championship can make all else grind to a halt. Definitely more popular than football or anything else.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
^ Agree with the above posters. And yes, pretty much every kid has a basketball goal in their driveway, or maybe down the street. I would guess that for kids it's the most-played sport, simply because you can play with just a few people, or even by yourself. It's tough to have a good football game without at least 8 or 10 kids.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
My Mom and Dad went to college at UNC and VA Tech respectively. Mom also went to LSU. They relocated here to NY in 1953. She is now 86. She is a die hard basketball fan of all three schools. You can't call her,show up or plan outings with her if there is a game on. She never misses any of them. For at least my family, it's a biggie. She has her sweatshirts too that she wears during game days.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
My Mom and Dad went to college at UNC and VA Tech respectively. Mom also went to LSU. They relocated here to NY in 1953. She is now 86. She is a die hard basketball fan of all three schools. You can't call her,show up or plan outings with her if there is a game on. She never misses any of them. For at least my family, it's a biggie. She has her sweatshirts too that she wears during game days.
Speaking of VA Tech....western Virginia...is it also possible in that part of the State?

Just thinking that everything between Kentucky and North Carolina including perhaps western VA, eastern TN?

Or is basketball moreso a Raleigh/Durham obsession and a Kentucky State obsession?

Additionally, how about Asheville and western North Carolina...or are they just more into their own thing over there...

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 AM

1,341 posts, read 3,912,210 times
We have the biggest rivalry in college basketball, of course it's huge. Carolina & Duke.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
College basketball is huge in North Carolina, as big as anywhere else in the nation, including Indiana or Kentucky.

as far as high school goes, or just the general population playing basketball, I am not so sure if it is so overwhelmingly popular.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Is it THE most popular sport in North Carolina? I'm not sure

Is there another sport more popular...or is Basketball pretty the main one? Football and Basketball are most common. Youth soccer is also very popular in some areas of the state.

Are hoops set up outside fairly commonplace in driveways? Yes

Also, would someone say it might even be more popular then football, etc.? Or is that just not said...? In some places, yes especially at the college level.

Additionally, are basketball games something you'd see played in most sports bars throughout North Carolina, or at least certain areas of North Carolina? Yes NBA and college games are common statewide. Although I think most sports bars just show whatever is in season.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Speaking of VA Tech....western Virginia...is it also possible in that part of the State?

Just thinking that everything between Kentucky and North Carolina including perhaps western VA, eastern TN?

Or is basketball moreso a Raleigh/Durham obsession and a Kentucky State obsession?

Additionally, how about Asheville and western North Carolina...or are they just more into their own thing over there...
This is kind of an odd question. Are you trying to "map" the exact areas where basketball reigns? Otherwise, I don't understand what you are trying to know. Are you going to move to an area and want to know how much to prepare for basketball fans? Are you considering basketball fandom a good thing or a bad thing?

(To answer your question: NC has always been big on college basketball because of the ACC, whose original group of schools were almost all in NC and there were always a few that were very competitive nationally. I wuold presume that anywhere in the US where a heavy cluster of teams with several that are always high in the rankings is going to build up a fan base. So no, this would not be unique to here, but characteristic of an area with the right combination of schools, just like places with more nationally-ranked football teams have more football fans.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina