Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating: being outside, race percentage, close to a city, plentiful job opportunities

Old 05-26-2007, 04:33 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times

Advertisements

Well, I am Currently in AZ. I also lived in CA for a few years. I've never been to the east coast...I've never been farther east than Colorado.

I enjoy California, but it is very expensive, and as nice as the beaches are, the water itself is always chilly.

So whats life like in the east? I would be moving with my Fiance. She is 21 and I am 20. We enjoy being outside, as well as being around quality people.

so how are the people over there? Nice, mean or just different? Is there a larger percentage of 1 race than another?

Example: here about 50% is hispanic, the rest is just mixed.

What would be some good places in the state to look? Not looking to commute over 45 minutes for a job, i guess close to a city so that job opportunities are plentiful.

Also, what other states should I look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
Enigmadsm,

There are a lot of threads here in the forum that will outline specifics relating to your broad inquiry. I think you simply want to decide what aspect of living is most important to you. That, of course, could change as you age and experience life more including adding life events like marriage, children, etc.

We lived in CA near the coast for nearly 40 years. I wish I had moved here years ago. Yes, I am still getting more adjusted, and it gets easier every day, but it's a blast here. Southern hospitality goes a long way. The people make living here a breeze.

RDU has a diverse community. Lots of threads on this. But on the surface, I would say that I left an area that had a racial makeup that consisted mostly of Asian and Hispanic (not counting Caucasian). Here, I see a racial makeup of mostly Blacks (not counting Caucasian). Not official, of course, but this is just a surface observation. But don't worry, diversity abounds here. However, I haven't hung out and investigated enough to discover all the cultural arts, dining and events this city has to offer (L.A., San Diego, and San Francisco surely has a lot to offer).

Commuting, you'll find, is far more manageable and less stressful here. RDU traffic is indeed increasing, but it's still predictable. Plus or minus one hour in one way in the A.M. hours, plus or minus an hour the other direction in the evening. L.A. was like that for me as a child. Of course, we all know how bad traffic exists today... all day, all directions with a nice topping of road rage for flavor.

This is the NC section, so we are focused on NC. Check out the other forums for each state and you'll discover differences from state to state. However, you'll also find consistency from state to state when it comes to values, education, lifestyle, etc. Decide on what is important to you, what kind of industry you'll be working, and plan a trip to the state you end up considering. When you've decided, maybe rent for the first 6 months to a year. If you like the state you moved, then establish your roots, buy a home (possibly), and enjoy.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-26-2007, 01:15 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
The Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham areas would be worth a look. They're the larger metros, have the strongest economies, most things to do, and diversity.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:11 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
thanks for you're replies, i will definetly do some more researching throughout this section, and who knows. maybe in the fall i will be one of your neighbors haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina