U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 AM

34 posts, read 65,248 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are moving back to NC and need some help finding places to visit that we might like to live. I just recently graduated from WFU in May and had a short term assignment in Ohio, but now my company is moving us back to NC where I will work in Mooresville.

We have been looking to live in Asheville or surronding areas for awhile now because we love to mountain bike and the outdoors. However, that is likely to be too long of a commute to Mooresville for me. So we are looking for something closer with some of the following traits. We have not ruled out anyplaces now and are starting pretty broad. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

My wife is a nurse with a specialty in the NICU. So we need to find a place close to a hospital with a NICU. We also would really like to live close to an actual mountain bike trail that we could ride to from our house < 5miles. The closer to Asheville we could live the better for us. Next, it would be great to live in a place that we could walk to from our house to the grocery store, church, bar, gym, & parks. Riding bikes to work for us would be great as well. The following cities are definetly possibilities for us; Mooresville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Asheville. Obviously there is a distance/desired location trade off we have to make.

We know Winston-Salem pretty well so some advice on the other areas or places to check out would be great. Anywhere between Charlotte, Mooresville, Statesville and Asheville that has the above characteristics would be great as well.

Just put it out there for us and thanks,

-Chris-

Last edited by CPSF; 01-26-2010 at 08:20 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM

45,236 posts, read 96,968,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPSF View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are moving back to NC and need some help finding places to visit that we might like to live. I just recently graduated from WFU in May and had a short term assignment in Ohio, but now my company is moving us back to NC where I will work in Mooresville.

We have been looking to live in Asheville or surronding areas for awhile now because we love to mountain bike and the outdoors. However, that is likely to be too long of a commute to Mooresville for me. So we are looking for something closer with some of the following traits. We have not ruled out anyplaces now and are starting pretty broad. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

My wife is a nurse with a specialty in the NICU. So we need to find a place close to a hospital with a NICU. We also would really like to live close to an actual mountain bike trail that we could ride to from our house < 5miles. The closer to Asheville we could live the better for us. Next, it would be great to live in a place that we could walk to from our house to the grocery store, church, bar, gym, & parks. Riding bikes to work for us would be great as well. The following cities are definetly possibilities for us; Mooresville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Asheville. Obviously there is a distance/desired location trade off we have to make.

We know Winston-Salem pretty well so some advice on the other areas or places to check out would be great. Anywhere between Charlotte, Mooresville, Statesville and Asheville that has the above characteristics would be great as well.

Just put it out there for us and thanks,

-Chris-
Chris, Asheville is indeed too far, unless you don't mind commuting 4 HOURS a day

In my opinion your two best bets for what you are looking for are Wilkesboro and Hickory - each would be a one hour commute one way however back to Mooresville, just FYI.

These cities are in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and each offer a lot of outdoor recreation. In particular, Wilkesboro offers these trails for mountain bikers:

Wilkesboro, North Carolina Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM

http://www.bmcc.us/

And in Hickory: http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...bend-park.html

In Hickory your wife could seek employment at that areas premier hospital, Frye Regional: http://www.fryemedctr.com/en-US/Pages/default.aspx

And in Wilkesboro here: http://www.wilkesregional.com/nodes/1.aspx

Last edited by lovesMountains; 01-26-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM

2,669 posts, read 6,861,398 times
There's a mountain bike trail at Lake Norman state park (google for details). You could live in Troutman or Statesville and have easy access to the park and a rather short commute to Mooresville. I'll tell you from experience, long commutes suck. Yes, you can sort of get used to them, but it costs a couple hours out of your day--time you could spend doing all kinds of other neat things. Throw in the cost of gas, and it makes a compelling argument for finding a place to live that's close to work.

The Statesville/Troutman region has a lot going for it. Large enough for the basic shopping needs, and close to all the action in Charlotte, the Triad, and the mountains.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM

4,200 posts, read 8,026,824 times
From Statesville/Troutman, also throw in the reasonably short drive up I-77 to Galax, VA for the New River Trail, a 50 mile rails-to-trails trail that follows the New River from Galax to Pulaski.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 13,014 times
On the western side of Charlotte is the National Whitewater Center...full of bike trails and obvious other fun for the outdoor enthusiast. There is a lot of affordable housing in western Charlotte or closer to Gastonia--> King's Mountain. I definitely would NOT commute from Asheville (that is almost unheard of) and even Winston is quite a drive from Mooresville.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 AM

Thanks you all for the replys!

LovesMountains, we are totally onboard with you in not having a long commute. Asheville is not an option for us right now. The trails at Scott Kerr Dam are amazing and we rode them all the time when we lived in Winston-Salem. Wilkesboro is out for us to as it is just to small. Hickory we would like to visit. Do you live there? Can you tell me a bit about it.

ARBYUNC, thanks for the suggestions we will check out statesville/troutman. Are they the same area. Which streets should we visit if we go there? Does statesville have a "downtown"?

Eburnsye21, great suggestion about West Charlotte. We have been to the NWWC to raft, but never to bike. Plus west Charlotte is the closer to the trailheads in Pisgah then Mooresville. Any particular areas in West Charlotte?

We are coming down this week to look at homes and would like to rent a house in the $800 to $1200/month range. Please suggest areas we should look at. Streets or neighborhoods would be great.

Thanks,

-Chris-

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM

2,669 posts, read 6,861,398 times
Quote:

ARBYUNC, thanks for the suggestions we will check out statesville/troutman. Are they the same area. Which streets should we visit if we go there? Does statesville have a "downtown"?

Thanks,

-Chris-

Statesville and Troutman are separate towns, but they're very close to each other. Not much in Troutman itself, but it's very close to Lake Norman and all it has to offer. Here's more info on Statesville:

DSDC – Downtown Statesville Development Corporation, Statesville, NC

Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM

45,236 posts, read 96,968,472 times
Quote:

LovesMountains, we are totally onboard with you in not having a long commute. Asheville is not an option for us right now. The trails at Scott Kerr Dam are amazing and we rode them all the time when we lived in Winston-Salem. Wilkesboro is out for us to as it is just to small. Hickory we would like to visit. Do you live there? Can you tell me a bit about it.

Eburnsye21, great suggestion about West Charlotte. We have been to the NWWC to raft, but never to bike. Plus west Charlotte is the closer to the trailheads in Pisgah then Mooresville. Any particular areas in West Charlotte?

We are coming down this week to look at homes and would like to rent a house in the $800 to $1200/month range. Please suggest areas we should look at. Streets or neighborhoods would be great.

Thanks,

-Chris-
Okay, then I'm going with Hickory being the best area overall for you.

Statesville is smaller of the two and the better hospital is in Hickory (Frye Regional). In addition, if you are living in Hickory it will be very convenient to head over to Asheville on the weekends. Also, from Hickory you are within easy access of the mountain towns of Blowing Rock and Boone for fantastic hiking and other outdoor activities. I live in Charlotte, but frequent the Hickory area

Where exactly were you planning to visit over the weekend? And, more importantly, have you heard about the winter storm moving in on Friday night?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM

LovesMountains,

Thanks for the help. In reality Asheville is a pretty easy weekend trip for us no matter where we live along 77 or 40. I think the deciding factor may be the new Mellow Mushroom opening in Hickory!! We are considering living close to Mooresville near The State Park because of the trail right there and we can bike ride to work. Which we both like to do. We are coming down Monday - Wednesday, next week.

All,

Here are the most important of our considerations. In order;

Mountain Biking(close to house)
Distance to work Karen(Unkown at this time)
Distance to work Chris(Lowe's)
Road Riding
low crime
Great Grocery Store
Mellow Mushroom(Great beer & Pizza)
Walkability!
Ice Cream Store
Gym

It would be great to get a suggestion based on that.

Thanks,

-Chris-

Last edited by CPSF; 01-28-2010 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Fixed Formatting

Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Hi,

I just want to add to the desired traits list; Friendly & social people that like to get together for dinner and drink some beers!

Thanks,

-Chris-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina