Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,926 times

Advertisements

We are a family moving from NY to NC in the near future, looking to purchase a home in the Oxford area, Granville County. How are the schools there? What kind of extracurricular activities will we find for our children, 4 of them, which range in age from 7 thru 19? Do the school bus ALL children or are there exceptions, depending on where you live? Does anyone know if we are in a very rural area, on 5 acres of property, which currently has a well, can city water be brought in, how would we find this out? Also, how is crime? weather? school activities? parks and recreational? employment (i work in healthcare)? Is this a good place to relocate? Has anyone relocated to this area from NY, if so, please share your experience with us-we are in need of advice, anything anyone can add to help our decision. What type of wildlife can we expect to see on our property besides deer? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,926 times
Default fireplace modification

Does anyone know if a fireplace that runs on natural gas can be modified to burn wood?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEENKUR View Post
Does anyone know if we are in a very rural area, on 5 acres of property, which currently has a well, can city water be brought in, how would we find this out? Also, how is crime? weather?
If the city or county has run water lines in your area, you would pay for a tap and pay to have the lines run from the tap to your house. If it is a very rural area, the city probably has not run lines. If you call Oxford Water Works (919-603-1120) and give them the address of the house you are thinking about, they should be able to tell you if there is city water in the area. We are in a different county, but it cost us about $2000 for a tap in 2008. (We only ran the water to the barn, but we may need it for the house someday.)

A realtor should be able to help you get information on the well: depth, gallons per minute, when it was dug/bored. If you buy a home with a well, you can get the water tested when you do your inspection.

For the weather, try this:
Climatology Comparison for Hildebran, NC - weather.com
It compares your area with Oxford (ave. high, ave. low, record high, record low, and precipitation).

Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if a fireplace that runs on natural gas can be modified to burn wood?
It depends on how it is vented.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
We are a family moving from NY to NC in the near future, looking to purchase a home in the Oxford area, Granville County. How are the schools there? What kind of extracurricular activities will we find for our children, 4 of them, which range in age from 7 thru 19? Do the school bus ALL children or are there exceptions, depending on where you live? Does anyone know if we are in a very rural area, on 5 acres of property, which currently has a well, can city water be brought in, how would we find this out? Also, how is crime? weather? school activities? parks and recreational? employment (i work in healthcare)? Is this a good place to relocate?
Do you already have the property picked out? If so, you would know how rural the area is; if not, why have you decided on Oxford in particular?

Employment in NC (well, unemployment) is at a 30-year high right now, though being in healthcare is certainly better than other industries. You should definitely line up a job before moving, however. I don't think Granville County has problems with busing; that's mostly the counties such as Wake with huge numbers of new transplants, causing the schools to redistrict constantly.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,804 times
Default NYC, and NY to Oxford

Tough call!
I have lived in major cities most of my life-i.e. Cleveland, OH, Philadelphia, PA, Washington DC area,
even Baltimore, MD. When I came here to Oxford NC in 2005 I was impressed by the nice homes and clean streets.
Believe me this is "Deceptive".
From the getgo we have delt with yard vandalisms, attempted breakins, and god forbid you walk the streets at night. Very poorly lit, and Police almost non-existent.
Remember real estate is not cheap here because realtors are all god fearing and thrifty!
You get what you pay for, and selling homes here is VERY difficult especially on the Linden Ave area.
In ALL the big cities I lived in we seldom locked our doors, and No one No one ever bothered even a blade of Grass. Cars were frequently left unlocked, and this wasn't in the 1930's.
I hav even commented I would feel safer in Harlem, NY than Oxford or Henderson. Here-----they look the other way, and tell you how goody two-shoes everyone is!
If it weren't for my co-owner looking the other way----I would sell and move-----today!!!!
Not a recommended city by any means or definition.
Remember all that glitters is NOT Gold!!!!
March 2013

Last edited by D McMillen; 03-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: misplelled wor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina