Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:56 PM

20 posts, read 95,842 times

Advertisements

There is a house (Historical) my husband and I love located in Scotland Neck. We are from Charlotte and because this is such a little community, it is difficult for me to get a good 'read' on whether it is a comfortable and 'safe' place to live? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Skylar25

Last edited by Skylar25; 05-26-2007 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
My wife and I went to their Crepe Myrtle festival and were severely disappointed. There were no Crepe Myrtles in bloom and when we tried to buy some we found little offered. The "festival" is more like a flea market for local food vendors.

Scotland Neck's heyday occurred back when US 301 was the main N/S route up and down the east coast. Since I-95 opened it has been a downward slide for the town.

One of the things I look for to see if a town has any vitality is new homes. Pretty much I believe that if there are no new homes going up then no one believes that the place is worth living in. There are no new homes in Scotland Neck. Population estimates for the town and area concure that people are moving out of the area and not going back.

The downtown has one block that is mostly filled up with businesses but the rest of the town is just old, empty buildings.

There are some nice, older homes along one road there but aside from those few dozen homes I see little in the way of anything there.

There is no shopping there. One lady I met there told me that she had moved to Scotland Neck sight unseen except for what the town's official website showed her. She said that she had been there for two years and just as soon as she could find someone to buy her house she was leaving.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 PM

Thanks ever so much...you have given me EXACTLY what I need to know!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 20,709 times
Smile scotland neck

So sorry no one told you of this last frontier..My dad and his wife sold their house in NJ for 1.something million and bought and restored a home in scotland neck..They love it there..We go every year , down and on the way back from Myrtle Beach Bike week...we have taken several couples from age 30-50 yrs old they loved the peace and quiet...the Italian resturant in town where everyone is on a first name basis...The peanut farmer with the dog rescue...ect..Did you know there is duck refuge there...some really cool stuff.We just purchased a home there with another house outback...figure we'll restore the pos..and rent out the apt house in the back so we'll have a care taker....Take another look---wanna meet dad let me know-----
JW

Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Smile big fish little pond

I almost forgot the coolest thing my step-mother said----They were little fish in a big pond in N.J. Several million$ house taxes 19-20 grand a year...Now in N.C.Taxes in the hundreds---joined the country club(yes SCOTLAND NECK C.C)Now they are big fish in a little pond----Ain't that just grand?
JW

Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks JW for an alternative perspective on Scotland Neck....it IS true that it is the historic property that is the 'draw' for us....we don't mind traveling to Raleigh when we want shopping/nightlife/etc.

The house we were interested in is the NB Josey house...are you familiar with it & is it in the same area as your father's home?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Not sure, is it in town or outside? I know joe josie owns half the town it seems..I know of the red brick one on main street is that it?My dad lives out 6miles on the way to roanoke rapids.an old plantation home moved off the river..for nightlife there is plenty of great food and stuff 20 mins away in tarboro 25mins to walmart sams lowes hd ect..in roanke rapids or rocky mount..cell service sucks there but a tower is going up on dads property soon..good luck.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:50 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar25 View Post
Thanks JW for an alternative perspective on Scotland Neck....it IS true that it is the historic property that is the 'draw' for us....we don't mind traveling to Raleigh when we want shopping/nightlife/etc.

The house we were interested in is the NB Josey house...are you familiar with it & is it in the same area as your father's home?
We were thinking of buying there, but for investment purposes. However, we weren't sure or could confirm if there would be a draw. Thus making our further investment questionable when it came to getting an return on that investment.

Nonetheless, the house we were looking at was quite nice, but needed a lot of repairs. The price 'appeared' nice, but comps indicated that pricing wasn't that high out there anyway. And since it was located pretty far, relatively speaking, from basic shopping and entertainment, we decided to invest closer to the bigger city of RDU.

Although, I'm now wondering if the house you're looking at is the same as the one we were considering. It was (or is) up on the market for a long time.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM

The NB Josey House is a yellow victorian....that has an odd configuration of one-story rooms on the back....as a matter of fact it isn't attractive from that angle at all...however the front view is nice and the inside (at least the pictures that I saw) is nicely done with hardwood floors, a beautiful hardwood ceiling in one upstairs bedroom, fireplaces throughout and interior plantation shutters. I really like the fact that it has the two-story bay windows that give those rooms an interesting layout.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:16 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,487 times
Default I was looking into the josey house too!

Hi Skylar!That's so funny i came across this thread.I had posted a thread not too long ago about Scotland Neck because im in NY but am coming to NC and saw the NB josey house and fell in LOVE with it.My dream home basically.But i wasn't told good things about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina