Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM

52 posts, read 345,068 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My husband and I are looking to move our family down south hopefully this year.

I've heard great things about the Carolina's and that is where I am currently looking.

Can someone provide me with a list of companies which are either now hiring or well known in the area and great places to work?

Type of work I am looking for is something in Purchasing, Account Management, or Analyst.

Thank you!
Cmarie!

PS: Are there lots of things to do in North Carolina and are there beaches there?

Suggestions of other great places to live down south are also welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarie2010 View Post
Hello All,

My husband and I are looking to move our family down south hopefully this year.

I've heard great things about the Carolina's and that is where I am currently looking.

Can someone provide me with a list of companies which are either now hiring or well known in the area and great places to work?

Type of work I am looking for is something in Purchasing, Account Management, or Analyst.

Thank you!
Cmarie!

PS: Are there lots of things to do in North Carolina and are there beaches there?

Suggestions of other great places to live down south are also welcomed.
Did you really mean to ask if there are beaches in NC???? I'm thinking that HAD to be a typo, lol. Please pull up a map of the country to actually see where NC is so you can appreciate our hundreds of mile of coastline

Unemployment in NC is officially 12%, unofficially it may be closer to 17% - finding a job in this state right now is extrremely difficult. So many people have relocated here, and continue to relocate here, that competition for the few available jobs is very tight. All that being said, this is a wonderful place to live, which is exactly why people keep coming!

In your field you could try checking out one of the healthiest companies in the Charlotte area, Family Dollar. Another possibility in the Charlotte area is Harris Teeter Grocery Store - both these companies have their corporate headquarters here.

I wish you a lot of luck - things really are tough all over!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Unemployment in NC is among the highest in the nation right now.

As for companies that are hiring, there are a few threads on that if you use the Search function, but mostly you'll find threads about all the places laying people off.

The News and Observer is the Triangle area newspaper; try their classifieds, but many folks reading this board are too busy trying to find jobs themselves, after being laid off, to do your job-hunt research for you.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Here are the latest unemployment numbers nationally - perhaps you would like to focus on one of the cities with unemployment closer to 5 or 6%?

In particular, I like Charlottesville, VA and Richmond, VA

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
If and when you have employment, there are so many places to see and visit you will run out of weekends in a year before you see all the great sights here in NC.

From the mountains to the beach, and inbetween, your free time can be occupied with exploring.

Best of Luck---

Find a job, move on down.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,297,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Find a job, move on down.
In that order.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
By the way, you have seen this (http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/01/22/article/nc_unemployment_rate_up_in_dec - broken link), right?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,902,251 times
Unemployment in NC is high. Do you have a bachelor's degree? If so you may qualify for one of the jobs at the supply directorate on cherry point, seymour johnson, ft bragg, or lejeune. Do know that the gov't hiring process can be a long one. I once stepped in as a fiscal manager for almost six months while they hired a replacement (I'm an Marine who's job is in supply and accounting field) from the previous GS worker who moved on to a better paying position.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

searcch this page for zip codes, 28533, 27534, 28540, and 28307 for starters. Government jobs in your field can be found everywhere though. Including the Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte. One of the reason I chose it for my field. It can also be found in any corporation or business just about.

Speaking of which. I do know your field is in higher demand on Marine Corps Base Quantico, VA and in North VA/DC metro area in general.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:19 AM

12 posts, read 40,647 times
I'm researching moving to NC once I receive my Respiratory Therapist license. So I'm thinking in maybe 3 - 4 years.
I'm also going to plan on vacationing there prior to get a lay of the land so to speak. I moved to FL from RI years ago and hated it... I'm hoping this will be a better move.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:05 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkara View Post
I'm researching moving to NC once I receive my Respiratory Therapist license. So I'm thinking in maybe 3 - 4 years.
I'm also going to plan on vacationing there prior to get a lay of the land so to speak. I moved to FL from RI years ago and hated it... I'm hoping this will be a better move.
What specific questions did you have? I was born/raised in RI...we moved here almost 2 years ago and love it. We haven't looked back once and would never move back to RI. While unemployment is high here right now, healthcare is one of the stronger fields (my husband and I are both nurses). I live in the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). There are several top notch medical facilities here - Duke, UNC, WakeMed. I also visited FL prior to our move here, to scope it out as a possible relocation spot. and knew right away it was not the place for usl. NC has been a great fit. There are parts of Raleigh and Chapel Hill that remind me of the East Side of Providence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina