Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,741,676 times

Advertisements

A lot of good stuff on thisguys post.
Some “experts” say that even if we used all the existing farmland to grow crops for alternative fuels we wouldn’t reduce the demand for oil by much. Oil is used for so many other products than gasoline.
Conservation would make a big impact, but statistics show gas usage is at an all time high and continues to rise no matter the cost.

I like the comment, “think of it as a gas tax” regarding our dependence on foreign oil. This is only one issue where these hidden costs apply.
Think about the labor issue that is happening from south of the border. We are told that the cheaper labor is needed to control costs.
Houses are being built by this cheaper labor. Are homes any cheaper? Only the builder profits from this cheaper labor. To top it off since these people don’t have medical insurance they go to the local hospital emergency room for routine medical care. Since the hospital can’t turn anyone away because they can’t pay the bill the cost is passed on to everyone that has insurance or pays their bill. I don’t know how this system works, since I can’t even get past the receptionist without and insurance card or cash, but they do.
We are also buying more and more products make in China, anyone been to Wal-Mart? These products are cheaper, but by buying these products, American manufactures are closing and China is getting richer. They are using more oil so now we are paying more for oil and gas. We just transferred our savings from China products to our gas tanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 12:08 PM

333 posts, read 1,200,779 times
Default Lots of topics

That conversation can go in many directions!

First, corn ethanol is actually inefficient. Lots of debate right now because a lot of corn ethanol requires processing...processing requires plants... plants require...energy.... hah. Its a vicious circle - so you need oil or natural gas to run these plants and at *THIS point* some people say (its disputed) it costs more to run the plants, or better put its costs more to extract the ethanol than the energy benefit you get from ethanol. We also subsidize our corn growers.... to grow corn.... yet we overproduce and our government is paying these huge industrial corn growers money to NOT grow corn crop some years.... since it would just waste in the fields... amazing.

Now there are many forms of ethanol...the sugar cane ethanol is supposedly much better but our climate is not suited to sugar cane, but corn. There is a newer process more in its infancy which can make ethanol from waste and if this works out obviously a no brainer - you just need to build the infrastructure. But of course the oil companies would want "subsidies" (i.e. hard cash) to install ethanol pumps and infrastructure to transport ethanol from the government. Because of course they have no competition and no need to spend all their profits on things like this (unless public pressure is so intense it finally gets to them) Hence a big picture plan is needed.

And gas is a tax...what people spend on gas they take away from other things...hence middle/lower class retailers (Walmart, Target) are seeing slowdowns, movies in 2005 were the lowest grossing in many years, etc. You eat out less, vacation a bit less, power boat usage is dropping off the cliff (some boats are 1.5 miles per gallon!), etc. So lifestyles get adjusted. what we pay (in the north) for higher heating oil, and for all of us gas, has to come out of pocket book somewhere. We live in a debt society where everyone wants to have the nice things, and in many parts of the country people were just taking money out of their houses (their personal ATMs!) as values skyrocketed the past 5 years, to pay for their lifestyle. Now with housing prices starting to stagnate (or fall) in many areas and many people in adjustable rate mortgages it should be interesting to see what happens in about 18 months when these mortgages start to roll over to higher rates.

Again the kicker is, we are sending this oil/gas money to countries who are funding groups to instill hate and fight us.... so we buy the gas, it goes to Iran, Iran trains insurgency groups, and sends them over the border to kill our troops. Simplistic but it is in basically a bottom line. Sauidi Arabia is the same way; they literally have an Islamic school system that is very radical and teaches hate... yet our president is on his ranch HOLDING hands with their king. Would he do that if they didnt have oil or we weren't addicted? Hah.

But the biggest problem is the loss of middle class...you can see it in Michigan and industrial Midwest... but even on the coasts lots of people have low paying "tourism" and "service" jobs. The disparity even from the 1970s between the top 5% and bottom 95% of population has increased by a lot (I dont have the data in front of me). But the top 1% of population now controls 40% of the US wealth, and the top 5% controls something like 70%. Even 30 years ago it was no where near that. So as all these trends continue... companies not able to offer pensions due to global competition, wages falling or stagnating due to global competition, people having to retire on their 401ks only while paying for medical costs going up 10%/year, college costs 7-10% a year, underfunded social security and medicare, energy prices through the roof, etc. Well at some point you'd think it hits a breaking point. Will go down as an interesting point in American history.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:58 PM

217 posts, read 799,790 times
Default I have a Solution!!!!!!!

Horse and buggy!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp

But I don't want to live with the Amish

Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 AM

693 posts, read 2,759,733 times
Quote:

Next trend in remodeling - converting garages into stables!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:08 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,027,548 times
Quote:
This has been my main transportation 8 months out the year for the past three years

http://www.warkshop.com/web%20images/H%20SW%20T%20Std%20RF%20Alten.jpeg (broken link)

When I keep the speed to 55-60, it gets between 35-40mpg. I can haul a week's worth of groceries in the hack, or pack enough for a two week trip (last year I rode the ScratHack to western Arkansas for a family reunion thing). Plus, it's a helluva lot of fun I just have to put up with helmet hair

Here's a fellow hacker with his "passengers".
http://www.warkshop.com/images/H%20silvwing%20dogs.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-28-2006, 11:13 AM

217 posts, read 799,790 times
Quote:

And I read an article that they were trying to find was to use manure to make electricity!!!

I wonder if everytime you turn on your lights it will smell like *****??

Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 AM

333 posts, read 1,200,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
This has been my main transportation 8 months out the year for the past three years

http://www.warkshop.com/web%20images/H%20SW%20T%20Std%20RF%20Alten.jpeg (broken link)

When I keep the speed to 55-60, it gets between 35-40mpg. I can haul a week's worth of groceries in the hack, or pack enough for a two week trip (last year I rode the ScratHack to western Arkansas for a family reunion thing). Plus, it's a helluva lot of fun I just have to put up with helmet hair

SWEET! My dogs would jump out - can't beat the mileage What does something like that cost? Thats another plus, in northern states you could only use that for 5 months a year before you'd be in danger of wiping out on ice or it started getting too cold.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 AM

741 posts, read 3,509,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing

the new Batman and Robin?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:13 PM

483 posts, read 1,566,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
Gas prices in Raleigh are climbing by the minute Last month the premium was less than $3, now it's around $3.17
In NY right now we're paying an average of $3.20 just for regular. It's ridiculous and hate to say it but the government is doing nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina