Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 PM

293 posts, read 958,595 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see how many have made the move from other areas & don't have any regrets. My head has been spinning & I would like to hear some positive feedback. Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,313 times
I am from a place where most people consider a paradise in southern california, so you would expect me to be especially biased, but I absolutely love it in NC. I haven't been here long enough to hate it yet but I think we made the right choice for a place to raise our family. It is beautiful, green, well maintained, nice people, great houses and amenities all close by. I am in Winston-Salem and like how close we are to both Raleigh and Charlotte. I figure we will start to miss living on the beach soon, but I think that can be easily fixed by a weekend at the beach in NC. I am realistic about the winters being more harsh than I am use to and assume that may be around when I start to question our move here But, seriously, I think a lot of it is your attitude and mindset. If you go around looking for the bad, you will find it. I also don't think it is smart to go around with rose colored glasses either, but instead just realize there are pros and cons to every place and if your pros out weigh the cons, you can be happy.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:59 PM

36 posts, read 145,588 times
enlightenme.... glad to hear you're loving it in NC, coming from Southern California! We're seriously considering moving in the next six months or so, after obligations here are taken care of. We're a young (mid-late 20s) couple with no kids (just two dogs that think they're our kids), looking for everything you described. Our families think we're crazy to give up the weather here, but it's just too crowded. We look forward to a slower pace, nice people, being on our own, etc.

My boyfriend is flying out next week to look at some houses we found in the Raleigh-Durham area, and I can't wait to see the pictures and hear how he likes it. Then in a few weeks, hopefully, we'll both be out there to sign papers, etc.

Again, glad to hear you have no regrets!

Old 07-27-2006, 05:23 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I just moved to Greensboro, NC from South Carolina, and I like it. It's surprisingly different from SC. In some ways, it feels very 'northern' to me. In other ways, it seems exactly like SC.

It's not too crowded, the weather is cooler, and I'm very pleased with the neighborhood I live in. I haven't seen any fire ants or roaches yet. They still have Bojangles and Chick-fil-a, but they don't have Zaxby's. They sell grits at the grocery store, so everything pretty much seems normal to me.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
There is a fairly new Zaxby's in Garner! Yummy! And I hear there is more to come! Vicki

Old 07-27-2006, 05:48 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
I am in Winston-Salem and like how close we are to both Raleigh and Charlotte.
We have friends of ours that moved from NJ to Winston-Salem 12 years ago. They moved due to job relo but the wife was nearly devastated at the fact that she had to leave her rather large and very close family behind. She said that even though she does miss her family, she feels that she and her husband made the right choice by moving. She feels that she made the best decision for her children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
If you go around looking for the bad, you will find it. I also don't think it is smart to go around with rose colored glasses either, but instead just realize there are pros and cons to every place and if your pros out weigh the cons, you can be happy.
You could not have said that any better. You're not going to find the PERFECT town, no matter what state you live in.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
I just moved to Greensboro, NC from South Carolina, and I like it. It's surprisingly different from SC. In some ways, it feels very 'northern' to me. In other ways, it seems exactly like SC.

It's not too crowded, the weather is cooler, and I'm very pleased with the neighborhood I live in. I haven't seen any fire ants or roaches yet. They still have Bojangles and Chick-fil-a, but they don't have Zaxby's. They sell grits at the grocery store, so everything pretty much seems normal to me.
Glad to hear that you like Greensboro. We had gone to Holly Springs and loved it, then our next trip we went to Charlotte, and loved it. The next trip would have been Greensboro but I was so exhausted and so overwhelmed and I really didn't want to go thru the whole process of looking at homes again that we just decided to pick Charlotte. We're very happy with our decision and are looking forward to our move in September. But I've heard very nice things about Greensboro and I'm sure we'll make a drive there after we get settled in.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
There is a fairly new Zaxby's in Garner! Yummy! And I hear there is more to come! Vicki
What is Zaxby's? Sorry but I'm not familiar with that place.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 PM

27 posts, read 183,156 times
Enlightenme & Anonymous-I am so glad to hear that you like where you moved to. We are planning on a move next year either to Winston-Salem or Greensboro and are so nervous. We are originally from So. California and currently reside in Las Vegas, Nevada. It's nice to hear that others feel they have made the right decision to move. Moving across country is a huge ordeal (years ago we moved from Cali to NY-military situation). We are really looking forward to settling down in NC and making that our permanent home.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:13 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
we will be moving from SO Cal as soon as we sell our home. Dh's job is in place and they are just waiting for him to come. It is scary I will admit born and raised here all our family is here and we have three kids that it will be hard on. As much as I am shaking inside I really feel it is the right move. AT 1:11 PM today when I sat in traffic my son called my dh and said "moms complaining about CA again!" You are in a perfect position to make a move, young no kids. If we were where you are in life it would have been an absolute no brainer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina