Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninNC View Post
I live in Williamston and 14yr old daughter goes to BearGrass School - We love it - communities around here very friendly - I moved here from Ahoskie 10 years ago, my husband has been W'ston native his entire life. If you attend church, there are many different churches in and around BG. There is also an excellent Recreational Sports in BG for your kids. My parents, brother and sister live in Winterville which is only about a 40 min drive from BG. I work in Williamston but we live out of town (about 8 min drive) I love living in Williamston area as we are so close to Greenville (which I prefer for medical doctors), Washington which is only 17 mi away has beautiful waterfront shops and historical houses. The BG school district is Rogers Elementary which is K-6 and Bear Grass High School which is 7-12. My daughter went to both and I would not have wanted her anywhere else. There are only about 18-20 kids per teacher. The teachers at both schools are very dedicated to our kids and keep the parents informed. There is no problem with drugs, bullies, etc., Hope this info helps.
My granddaughter attends Bear Grass High School. She is ranked first in her class there and from my understanding there is the best math teacher anywhere in the county at that school. His name is Daniel Price and I personally am acquainted with him and his uncle used to be my brother-in-law by marriage. Bear Grass teaches Cal which Jamesville High School does not. Furthermore, Williamston High School teaches Cal too so one can imagine that I am well pleased that both of my granddaughters who attend Bear Grass and Williamston will be able to get some of the subjects that they need for college. In Jamesville there is an honors History, however, one does not get credit for college like Williamston. I've not heard whether Bear Grass has a History which will apply 3 hours toward college credit. I do know that Jamesville is lacking in many areas about subjects and so I'm delighted that two of my granddaughters who are in high school can get the much needed subjects necessary for college. I also have a granddaughter at a Christian School and one at Jamesville. Both of these girls are in the lower grades. The one at the Christian School is in the 6th grade and the one at Jamesville is in the 4th grade. My grandson graduated from Bear Grass two years ago so he is now in college at Wilmington, NC. He attended college over in Greenville last year, but transferred to Wilmington, NC at the beginning of the school term this year. I would advise all parents who want their child to have an education so he/she can attend college and be prepared to attend Williamston or Bear Grass. Jamesville is a wonderful place to live and in the past, we have had some of the best teachers anywhere, but now things have changed and are constantly changing. We have a great principal here, Mr. Point. I have met the assistant principal, but don't know her name. She looks young so I don't know how well prepared she is as far as assisting a principal. We'll have to wait and see what she is capable of accomplishing.

I do know that there are at least two teachers here which are a major problem and I must correct myself...three of them that are giving not only the students fits, but giving their parents a fit as well. One of the teachers teaching here is a surprise to me because I had no idea how she got through college, but maybe a miracle took place. Maybe this person really made application to her study so she was able to succeed. I guess if one is determined enough that one can succeed. Sometimes though in certain circumstances it is nice to have a teacher who smiles and tries to understand what children are going through and that just maybe that child is giving it everything that he/she can give it. Everyone is not a genius.

I'm afraid that we are going to lose our school although I'm very disappointed that we do not have the caliber of teachers we need here. One of these teachers is in the elementary which really concerns me about my youngest granddaughter. Some of these so called professionals are there for a paycheck and that is it. Their goal is to hear the bell ring when it is time for the children to go home in the afternoon. If teaching is such a terrible profession, then I ask someone why women and men go into it? Is it because they aren't qualified to do something more involved which takes a "Thinking Cap" to use? No, everyone cannot and should not be a good teacher because they don't care about compassion, a child's future, and making a difference in a student's life. Before teachers are hired, a complete background check should be done and also a teacher should not be allowed to be hired permanently until they have proven themselves to school personnel as well as to parents and children. Parents should be allowed to observe on certain days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
I lived in Greenville for 7 years. Why aren't you all considering Winterville or Ayden. They are miles better than Williamston or Grimesland or Little Washington for that matter. Good schools, and an easy commute into Greenville.
Winterville will cost you more but is closer to Greenville. Ayden is a few miles farther out, but cheaper.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 22,616 times
I would suggest Williamston. (Bear Grass High School is an excellent school (I am a past student, the teachers really take time to know the students) And a good reason to pick Williamston? It's quiet and it's a lot more homely than the immediate Greenville areas. It's a very warm enviornment here and there is little crime (I should know, my dad is a deputy with the Martin County Sheriff's Department). Anyways... Williamston just has that small town charm, and an excellent place to raise children and with the brand new park that was just built (Tyner RD) Williamston is getting better and better.

-Williamston Born and Raised.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,627 times
Hi. I live in Bear Grass, NC and there would be a lot to tell! I'll save time and direct you to Visit Williamston, Robersonville, Jamesville, Hamilton, Bear Grass and Everetts in Martin County, NC (broken link)

I wouldn't move to Greenville. The traffic from ECU is makes it terrible to drive in. :-)

Last edited by eastern_nc_gal; 02-17-2008 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,627 times
Oh. One thing. The people above haven't mentioned it but Bear Grass High School along with Jamesville High School are going to be closed. (if the Board has it's way) Bear Grass students will be moved to Roanoke High and Jamesville students will go to Williamston.

So BGHS and JHS might not be here if you move here.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
Default Relocating to the greenville,nc or williamston nc area

I am relocating to the greenville/ williamston north carolina area. While I look for a perment housing I would like help with information on a short term place to stay either a room to rent or a short term lease

Old 04-12-2010, 12:52 PM

451 posts, read 1,914,091 times
This should be moved to the Eastern NC forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina