Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:24 AM

62 posts, read 175,911 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are moving to NC before too long, and have been researching the heck out of the place. We went to Raleigh earlier this year, checked it out, and found it not to be too bad, but not quite our cup of tea. While we were there, we checked out a place in Mebane and discovered that the further west of Raleigh we went, the better we liked it.

We also found a bunch of new communities on the internet, but are kind of stuck there. They seem to be all over the place.

What the problem is, is specific location. We are narrowed down to basically three areas, but have little idea where are the "bad" parts of those areas are, if you get my drift. That's where we need more information. Something like northwest of so-and-so is ok, south is not so good; that kind of thing using the areas around Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Burlington as sort of central parts of the "circles". That also includes the surrounding cities.

Other than kids not being an issue (grown and gone), and the fact that we are looking at new communities, our criteria is pretty much the same as anyone else's. (We actually found a neat community south of Raleigh, but the surrounding area looked as if we would have had to shoot our way in and out).

The idea is to narrow down our choices so when we visit again in a few months we can have a few places to check out, instead of "winging it". Hopefully we can actually pick a place and get construction started then.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 07:00 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,630,630 times
I heard the northwest section of Greensboro is nice if that helps.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:16 AM

Just moving up, hoping someone will answer.........

Old 07-30-2006, 01:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,743,437 times
Is employment an issue or are you retiring to NC?

Old 07-30-2006, 02:38 PM

Not gonna retire right away. Am pushing 60, but still got a few good ones left. I retired from civil service a few years ago, and lasted about a year before I got bored and went back to work. So retirement is not planned for the immediate future.

I am a construction inspector, specializing in underground utility installation (along with roads, sidewalks etc) and am looking for a place within a reasonable commute of construction sites. I figure that land development for housing developments would be right down my alley, so I don't want to get too far from those types of places. I feel a reasonable commute is about 1/2 hour, give or take a little under the right circumstances.

Thanx

Old 07-30-2006, 03:53 PM

152 posts, read 475,392 times
We are also relocating to NC from NY. Checked out the usual Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Greensboro areas thoroughly. We have decided on Summerfield, which is NW of Greensboro, about 10-15 min. drive away. The area is beautiful, clean and the people were wonderful. We are close enough to Greensboro for shopping, jobs, etc.
Raleigh and Charlotte were a little too crowded for our liking, although they were nice places too. You might want to check out Summerfield, Oak Ridge and Stokesdale. All NW of Greensboro and still affordable, taxes are very reasonable, (coming from NY, anything is more reasonable) and the schools are great, although that doesn't concern you any longer. But you know what I mean.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,743,437 times
Take a look at Johnson County which is starting to boom as Wake is getting full.
I say this because it sounds like you want to be where the building is.
If you want to be closer to the mountains Denver is booming.
The eastern part of the state is too hot for us. We put a lot of our search efforts into weather and wound up in Caldwell County which is not a boom town.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:32 PM

hapalee:

Only Denver on this website are CO, PA, IN, IA. Couldn't find one in NC. Where is it?

Also, we checked out the area around Raleigh, including Johnson County (Clayton etc) and, though there is a lot of building going on, we want to be more west. May not be as much building in the other places, but I can live with that.

We are looking around GSO, W-S, Burlington, kind of following highways 85, and 40.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 PM

889 posts, read 3,107,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripath
Wife and I are moving to NC before too long, and have been researching the heck out of the place. We went to Raleigh earlier this year, checked it out, and found it not to be too bad, but not quite our cup of tea. While we were there, we checked out a place in Mebane and discovered that the further west of Raleigh we went, the better we liked it.

We also found a bunch of new communities on the internet, but are kind of stuck there. They seem to be all over the place.

What the problem is, is specific location. We are narrowed down to basically three areas, but have little idea where are the "bad" parts of those areas are, if you get my drift. That's where we need more information. Something like northwest of so-and-so is ok, south is not so good; that kind of thing using the areas around Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Burlington as sort of central parts of the "circles". That also includes the surrounding citdecision.
Other than kids not being an issue (grown and gone), and the fact that we are looking at new communities, our criteria is pretty much the same as anyone else's. (We actually found a neat community south of Raleigh, but the surrounding area looked as if we would have had to shoot our way in and out).

The idea is to narrow down our choices so when we visit again in a few months we can have a few places to check out, instead of "winging it". Hopefully we can actually pick a place and get construction started then.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

R
Have you looked into the Davidson, Huntersville, Cornelious and Mooresville area? The lake is here and the close proxiemity to the airport ( Charlotte) is a plus.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 PM

478 posts, read 2,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripath
hapalee:

Only Denver on this website are CO, PA, IN, IA. Couldn't find one in NC. Where is it?
Here's a guide to Denver, NC:

http://www.denvernc.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina