Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 PM

9 posts, read 89,303 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,
i am currently looking into relocating to the state sometime within the upcoming year. i am from ohio, and im just trying to gather opinion on various places in the state. where i am, things are pretty diverse (which i like alot), but i dont really enjoy the "rat race" mentality of this part of the country. alot of people out here seem bitter and the winters just last too long. also, it seems like jobs are kind of hard to come by except for in cleveland i guess.

i basically am looking for a place with friendly people, open to diversity, a good place for families, and also close to city-like areas. i graduated from kent state which i loved. its a smaller town but close to many things. also there are amazing people and a young population. i would like to find something like this. also, with a college or two close by as i intend on going back to school for teaching.

any feedback would be great!!

what regions of the state do you like?
what is the general mood of people?
what things don't you like?

i have a close friend that moved to newton, close to charlotte a few years ago. she enjoys it. im open to all parts--coastal, mountains, whatever.

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
The Charlotte, Greensboro, or Raleigh areas all have good colleges. They all hae nice standards of living, but are growing quickly, especially Charlotte and Raleigh. Charlotte is only about 45 minutes from Newton. Western Lincoln Co. and southern Iredell Co. would still put you in the Charlotte metro area, but still be really clsoe to Newton.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
Default Try Asheville or Boone

You may want to look at the Asheville area or Boone (though it is a distance from any city).

Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 AM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
UNC Greensboro has a very good education program if you plan to go back to college for a teaching degree. Greensboro is not as big as Charlotte or Raleigh, and areas near the college are pretty accepting of transplants. And depending on what you like to do, there are a lot of things going on in Greensboro on a regular basis.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
You might like Greensboro it a decent size city but very laid back attitude with a vibrant downtown. It location makes it ideal in case you want to explore other cities and short commutes winston is within 20 minutes, raliegh within 1.5 to 2 hours charlotte 1.5 hours mountains within 2 hours and coast within 3.5 to 4 hours.

colleges
UNCG
A&T
Greensboro College
Bennett College

also the colleges in the other cities are within short commute time

Greensboro has had less of impact from waves of people moving that raleigh and Charlotte has had but those are still good two cities to consider as well but more of rat race locations

Good luck
GoTriad Scene - GoTriad’s place for events, arts & what’s going on

Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 AM

23 posts, read 102,334 times
Talking Hello fellow Ohio Native

My husband and I grew up in Ohio(near Cleveland), moved to California and currently own two homes in NC. We are selling one in Bat Cave, which is near Asheville. I love the area in the mountains in and around Asheville. Our home in Saluda is really cool. There are funky restaurants and an artsy atmosphere. The people are so friendly, everyone waves hello, though you are a complete stranger. The winters are so mild compared to 'The Snow Belt' we grew up in! I love all the rivers, waterfalls, outdoor activities like hiking and rafting. Asheville is close by for night life and a young crowd. We started looking at the coast but are glad we ended up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I recommend staying in an area for a while and see if you like it. We went three times before we bought. Moderator cut: soliciting

Old 06-01-2007, 07:42 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
Default Hickory/NC

We are building a house in Newton, outside of Hickory. It's a really beautiful town and less congested than hickory with more of a small town feel. I can't wait to move (currently stuck in FL till our home sells...) good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina