U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 PM

712 posts, read 3,783,307 times

Advertisements

I think local festivals if they don't get over commercialized are an interesting way to catch a quick snapshot of a town and the people living in the surrounding area.

We always loved Roanoke Virginia's Festival in Park and some of the art events around it. In fact 19 years ago last weekend, we first visited Roanoke and attended the festival. That fall we moved to Roanoke.

I also have attended Mount Airy's Autumn Leaves festival, but it doesn't seem to have quite the same character as I remember from its early days.

I have been on a mission to collect festival pictures and I was wondering if others in North Carolina have some that they might be willing to share.

The ones I have attended range from Morehead's Seafood Festival, a little on the commercial side for me, to Swansboro's Oyster Roast which I found to be a wonderful community event.

Some of the others that I have captured include Emerald Isle's Saint Patrick's Day Festival, the Newport Pig Cookoff, and the Emerald Isle Christmas Parade which was a real community event with even golf carts involved.

On a smaller scale, yesterday we attended Cape Carteret's 48th birthday party which even featured the Mayor cooking the hamburgers and hot dogs. It was a lot of fun and a great way to meet the local government.

I know there are other area festivals out there. I missed Morehead's Chocolate festival and last fall's Swansboro Mullet festival. There is an art festival in Swansboro next weekend so I'll see how that is.

I look forward to hearing about some favorites from other areas especially if they involve barbecue.

I managed to sample some of the best barbecue that I have had in years from a small local stand at the Emerald Isle Saint Patrick's Day festival.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 12:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,203,713 times
North Carolina Apple Festival

Hendersonville is the official home of the 61st Annual North Carolina Apple Festival, a four-day celebration in honor of the North Carolina Apple. The NC Apple Festival features a street fair on Historic Main Street including continuous live musical entertainment, arts & crafts, apple products, children’s & youth activities, special exhibits & open houses, food, and, to top it all off, the King Apple Parade. The festival is held annually, during the Labor Day weekend.

http://www.steppapples.com/images/ncapplefestival_logo.jpg (broken link)

North Carolina Apple Festival

Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,213,489 times
The Lexington BBQ Festival:

The Barbecue Festival

Old 06-02-2007, 09:37 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,442,593 times
Greenville Pirate Festival, Mt. Olive Pickle Festival,

Old 06-03-2007, 01:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,203,713 times
Blue Ridge BBQ Festival - June 8 & 9

The Festival has been proclaimed the Official North Carolina State Championship by former Governor Jim Hunt and present Governor Mike Easley since 1994. The 1999 Festival won the first "National Spirit of Barbecue" Award as the best barbecue event in the country, awarded by the National Barbecue News.

Blue Ridge Barbecue Festival | N.C. State BBQ Championship | Tryon NC

Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM

460 posts, read 2,362,399 times
Ham and Yam festival in early May in Smithville

Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 PM

402 posts, read 2,161,554 times
Pumpkin Festival! Spring Hope NC, generally the first weekend in October.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:32 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,797,170 times
Default Charlotte Shout

www.charlotteshout.com (broken link) particularly the Culinary Arts Experience

It's a big culinary showcase. It's much different than your usual "Taste of xxxxxx" events. There is a main stage with celebrity chefs and also smaller stages with other demonstrations. Very good and usaully pretty well-organized event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina