Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
Put yourselves in our shoes for one second( since i just came from Calif. myself) in order to buy a home or in our case move up to lets say "bigger" and i am not talking 2,000 sq. ft even, just a little bit bigger in a nicer town than the one you are living in.Now the average price is a junkie fixer upper for around $800-900K. Now something a little nicer and you are averaging at best for 1 million dollars!!!! Even though we owned, it was not enabling us to ever move out of that paticular town we were living in and going somewhere just a little bit nicer. Yes, i was a homeowner and was lucky enough to have bought 5 years ago and yes we made money but... you cannot move up!!!
So, in my case my son is here and here to stay. With that, and the

attractive home prices we chose to go this route and come here.

-

It's to bad that for some they feel so bent out that people are migrating to their lovely state, but hey thats the beauty of this free country.
California is one big melting pot so i guess we dont see things as "territorial".
We have had MANY filthy rich people come in and buy their second or 3rd or 4th homes there and jack the prices up because they will pay whatever.
And the Great Mexican Migration and so on. Ya just deal with it
I'm certainly not following anyone. I didn't know anyone was going till I found this forum. I even see Phoenicians on here very surprising to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
The Mexican migration cannot be dealt with or even lived with if you're not one of them. Legal immigrants- rah, yay, bully for America the melting pot etc., of course. But illegals will always depress wages, will balk forever at ever learning any English, trash your neighborhood, shoot at your dogs and let their pitbulls run wild, blast fiesta music at football stadium levels night and day, and change middle class neighborhoods into those resembling third world slums. Plus you will be taxed to support them, while they recieve medical services and more that you, the citizen, never, ever will recieve.

I want to move back to America. Los Angeles was forcibly mutated by masses of illegals into a haven for them, a nightmare for anyone not rich enough to coccoon yourself away from them, their gangs, vendettas and full-scale resentment of anyone who's not from their home country. My home of 50 years no longer resembles any aspect of America. I do a double-take now whenever I hear anyone speaking English.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM

26 posts, read 119,851 times
Smile Whose plan is this anyway?

When I told my family and friends I was considering the move not one person thought it was a bad idea. I think we all need to be supportive - it is a big step and takes a great deal of courage to leave the familiar for the unknown - all for a dream of a better life. I am excited about it and have put it in Gods hands.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyjerseylady
NC... weather, cost of living, all the benefits of living in the south but I'll still be aroud "My People" - New Yorkers (Go Mets!)

For me - I can offer a better life to my children than I can in New Jersey. Plus, as most of us have aging parents - the drive back to NJ - in an emergency - is managable.

When I run into my ex- people here in Az (NY, NJ) They give me a big headache. Always complaning. Bad food, too hot, blah blah blah.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:00 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Amen to that! I have already met some nice people from upstate NY, but for the most part, I can pick out "Their People" in a crowd without blinking. Sorry, very sorry-but it's true.

My neighbors are for the most part Southern natives, or have lived in the South for many many years. I've never met nicer, kinder, people in my life. Southern hospitality is alive and well!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream
As far as I am concerned, anyone who was anywhere near anything that occured that day can go whereever they need to in order to get on with their lives - without discussion.
Note the Vermont forum - NYC people relocated post 9/11. Whether it was NYC, Pentagon, Flight 93, I come across people affected firsthand by that horrible day all of the time where I live and it will never leave them. Like war survivors - one day at a time.
I watched the entire 9-11 unfold from in front of my office that morning. It just made me more determined to be a New Yorker.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:19 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
I watched the entire 9-11 unfold from in front of my office that morning. It just made me more determined to be a New Yorker.
Also understandable. New Yorkers have got guts!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
I can't say the same for my family. My husband was minutes away from being in the towers. His anxiety about going into the city every day since then has aged him tremendously. We have only been out of the area for a little over a week and he's a different person altogether. Calm, relaxed, and generally happier. I thank God he doesn't have to work there any longer.

Having said that, I have much respect for the people who stuck by their city and continue to do so!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:26 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
The Mexican migration cannot be dealt with or even lived with if you're not one of them. Legal immigrants- rah, yay, bully for America the melting pot etc., of course. But illegals will always depress wages, will balk forever at ever learning any English, trash your neighborhood, shoot at your dogs and let their pitbulls run wild, blast fiesta music at football stadium levels night and day, and change middle class neighborhoods into those resembling third world slums. Plus you will be taxed to support them, while they recieve medical services and more that you, the citizen, never, ever will recieve.

I want to move back to America. Los Angeles was forcibly mutated by masses of illegals into a haven for them, a nightmare for anyone not rich enough to coccoon yourself away from them, their gangs, vendettas and full-scale resentment of anyone who's not from their home country. My home of 50 years no longer resembles any aspect of America. I do a double-take now whenever I hear anyone speaking English.
Well if its any consulation, the next town over from where i was living was Salinas, California( lettuce Capitol of the World) 80 % hispanic populated. I feel your pain!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
Amen to that! I have already met some nice people from upstate NY, but for the most part, I can pick out "Their People" in a crowd without blinking. Sorry, very sorry-but it's true.

My neighbors are for the most part Southern natives, or have lived in the South for many many years. I've never met nicer, kinder, people in my life. Southern hospitality is alive and well!
Your viewpoint keeps me interested, and not giving up on NC. I started researching this years ago, when our oldest graduated from high school. She is now entering her last year of college.

I am concerned about making a move in a few years and find it to ultimately be a lateral move because the influx of new citizens has strained the infrastructure and state economy, then end up in the same condition as NJ, although a repeat of such mismanagment on that level is hard to imagine!

And, I look forward to a relaxed pace, and generally friendly people. I don't feel like moving to another state only to find more intensity than I thought I left.

Oh well, I don't have a crystal ball, time will tell. I'll keep reading the posts on this board, it's a great barometer for what is happening these days.
Jerseymom, I am glad for you that it has been a positive change. (Shouldn't you be calling yourself "North Carolina mom" now?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina