Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2006, 12:59 PM

336 posts, read 512,897 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with the painted white indoor trim in almost every house I see here? Is it a southern thing? It don't mind it, I am just used to every house having stained wood trim instead. I always assumed stained wood was normal all over before moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 01:26 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
What is the deal with the painted white indoor trim in almost every house I see here? Is it a southern thing? It don't mind it, I am just used to every house having stained wood trim instead. I always assumed stained wood was normal all over before moving.
It's not a southeren thing. What you are seeing is newer home construction trends.
I just moved out from Calif. and most homes that are remodeled usually does the white trim painted.. Maby cheaper i dont know but does look good.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:23 PM

26 posts, read 119,829 times
White trim, both interior and exterior, is the "in" thing - it gives a fresh look and (if you are trying to sell) is a quick way to update your home. Personally I like beige, especially if you have little finger prints around.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:12 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
I noticed the white trim too when we started looking at houses! We lived in WI and NJ within the last year, and almost all houses there that we saw had stained wood or fake looking wood trim. I like white much better.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
We had the wood trim that was mentioned in our house when we bought it in 1992. We left it in the kitchen and dining room. But we also had this kinda depressing wood paneling halfway down the wall and then with off white paint up the other half. The carpeting was a light beige. Brianna pretty well took care of the carpeting what the two kids that lived here before us didn't do. When we repainted in 1999, we "kilted" out the paneling and the trim and painted it the color of the rooms which in our case would be hard to tell that it is actually a very light blue in one room, a light mauve in another two rooms and the living room and down the hall we painted with the light mauve and sponged it with a color called peek-a-boo lavender which appears to me to be a light purpish mauve color. We have wallpaper toppers at the top of the rooms. The carpeting is now a reasonable cranberry color. It is much easier to maitain than the light carpeting that we did have. A lot of houses down in this area have this wood trim crown molding that you are talking about although I see more of it in houses that were built in the 60's, 70's, and early to mid 80's. There was a lot of knotty pine paneling used in the 60's as well. Like I said about names, you can generally tell how old some one is by their name unless they have a truly classic name like Kathryn or Elizabeth or Robert and John. I guess the same is true of the houses. Styles run in cycles and right now like me I guess a lot of people are turning to a different type crown molding and house in general. Ranch houses were the craze from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Now things are a little different as I learned when my mother built a house in 2004. It is unlike any of the previous 5 houses she has bought or built.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
In years gone by trim was made of good quality wood that when stained was matched to wood floors. More recently, builders put in cheap carpet and the trim was low quality wood that was painted to cover up the flaws. White was the color choice because everyone made houses as neutral and inoffensive as possible to appeal to the greatest number of potential buyers. Now that more and more home buyers are wanting wood floors, the trim is having to be stained again.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM

117 posts, read 493,038 times
Thats funny....when looking at houses with wood trim I automatically assume they are older houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina