Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Your severance has no bearing on your eligibility for unemployment compensation. That statement is simple false. And the only people I've ever heard of who's unemployment benefits are tied into mandatory higher-education are those very few who's jobs were lost specifically as a result of foreign outsourcing.
I'm not sure what part you are saying is false. It doesn't have an effect on how much you can collect but it most certainly has an effect on WHEN it starts. Even accrued vacation can slow down a claim. If you leave with 2 weeks vacation left on the books then you have a three week wait before you can file.

If you got severance pay then you'd divide it by your regular earnings to determine how many weeks it's worth (unless they paid you by weeks) and you have to wait that period of time + 1 week.

From the ESC website:

I received separation pay (or pay, wages in lieu of notice, vacation pay, etc.). When should I file a claim?

You are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits for any full week covered by separation pay, vacation pay, etc. (nor may such a week count as your “waiting period week”). Generally, you should file your claim the first week after the period covered by the payment (if the last week of the payment is not a full week’s pay, you may file that same week, although you possibly will still be ineligible due to excessive earnings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 AM

14 posts, read 21,466 times
When I was unemployed back in 2005 my severance package was 16 weeks so I did take a college class so that unemployment would start immediately after the one week waiting period. It had to be an accredited class where you would earn college credits. It could not be any continuing ed. classes like photography etc.

When I became unemployed this time my severance was only 2 weeks and when I questioned the people at ESC about taking a class no one knew what I was talking about so I didn't press it and just waited the 2 weeks.

Classes have already started for the Spring session so I don't know if you would even be able to register at this point.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 AM

192 posts, read 437,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christie17 View Post
When I was unemployed back in 2005 my severance package was 16 weeks so I did take a college class so that unemployment would start immediately after the one week waiting period. It had to be an accredited class where you would earn college credits. It could not be any continuing ed. classes like photography etc.
Someone told me that NC already changed the law back in 2009.
One of my coworkers who got laid off on our NJ site told me that there is no such a rule in NJ at all.
I have been trying to call the center with no luck for the past two days...

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,508 times
Default Do I qualify for unemployment?

Hi everyone,

I just got terminated from my employer for performance issues. It was a sales position and I didnt meet a quota requirement.

I have never been late, had disciplinary problems, etc. I have been a great worker other than my numbers slipping b/c it was a high pressure sales environment.

My question is whether or not i will be approved for unemployment.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Depends on how long you had been working. Most likely, you will qualify as long as you didn't quit or do something illegal on the job (which it sounds like you didn't).

If you are in NC, you can estimate your benefits here by typing in your SSN and last name.
ESC NC Individual Services

Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kic276 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just got terminated from my employer for performance issues. It was a sales position and I didnt meet a quota requirement.

I have never been late, had disciplinary problems, etc. I have been a great worker other than my numbers slipping b/c it was a high pressure sales environment.

My question is whether or not i will be approved for unemployment.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

Thanks for your help!
Absolutely.....

Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Depends on how long you had been working. Most likely, you will qualify as long as you didn't quit or do something illegal on the job (which it sounds like you didn't).

If you are in NC, you can estimate your benefits here by typing in your SSN and last name.
[URL="http://www.ncesc1.com/individual/default.asp"]ESC NC Individual Services[/URL]

No nothing illegal. And I certainly didnt quit. I was there about a year.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
I would think your eligibility would depend on what your former employer states as the reason for your dismissal. Unemployment insurance eligibility requires "claimants must have become unemployed through no fault of their own". Any individual who quits a job, is fired from a job, refuses a referral to a job, refuses a job, refuses to enter Approved Commission Training, or fails to complete Approved Commission Training may be denied unemployment benefits.

https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/we...applyBegin.asp

Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times
I think it would depend on how you were notified of your poor performance. If the company documented and with you that you were performing poorly then they may have a case to not give it to you.....

Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Sounds like you should qualify. The "North Carolina" board is the best for this topic as you can get statewide feedback (one of the largest threads on City-Data is about UI on that board) and there are no Charlotte specific UI rules.

File ASAP as there is a waiting week so you'll want to get that over with regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina