U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,868 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband just recieved orders to be stationed at Ft. Bragg in May. I was planning on moving down in June but now im starting to get a bit nervous. I've been reading nothing but horrible things about this city! Is it really that bad there? I was planning on attending Fayetteville Tech and work as a CNA now so I really dont want to be that far from base and school. Does any body have any suggestions. Im 20 years old with no kids and if when my husband gets deployed i really dont want to be stuck in a horrible place by myself.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 PM

983 posts, read 3,683,020 times
Calm down!! Fayetteville is NOT that bad....it's like any other city...it has its good with its bad. You shouldn't have a difficult time getting work as a CNA between the hospitals and doctors' offices. I've lived here all of my life and I've never been attacked, mugged, robbed, burgularized, or had my car broken into. Like anywhere else, be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, and be safe. You'll be fine!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 AM

512 posts, read 1,501,570 times
I agree with LRoyal10900. It's what you make it This isn't Detroit, your not going to see astronomical crime rates like camden, nj or St louis. Fayetteville is a decent city to live in. If you need a city fix Raleigh is an 1hr and 15min away. So you don't have to feel like it's a miserable city. It just depends on where your from. If your from a large metropolitan area, then it might seem like the dumps, but if your not then it can be viewed as a decent place. I've got family there so a lot of time I don't really think about night life or cultural activities. I just enjoy hanging around family. Don't worry you'll be fine in Fayetteville.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,868 times
Thanks so much! Im gonna go spend a weekend there in a month or so and see how it is there. I just heard so many bad things on this site about it so im a little nervous lol

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,518,633 times
Check out these links for something to do in the area....

Fayetteville Wants YOU: Brought To You By Dex

MWR Fort Bragg - Welcome to Fort Bragg MWR

Fayetteville-Cumberland Parks and Recreation

Welcome to Fayetteville

Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 AM

999 posts, read 4,370,460 times
There are PARTS of Fayetteville, like most other cities, that are unpleasant. I lived there for a short while and it was fine. I am glad I hadn't found this site until I was looking to move again (job issue, nothing to do with Fayetteville itself) or I'd have been nervous about it like you.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,741 times
Hi, I'm from Fayetteville and just as LRoyal said it's not that bad. I've also never experienced anything horrible! lol!! If you're looking for an apartment there are some really nice places that make military spouses feel very comfortable. I would suggest trying Hidden Lake and Stone Ridge. These two are on the southwest side of town in gated communities. They aren't too far from Fort Bragg or FTCC. There are some great places in the Morganton Road area but the tend to be pretty expensive and just plain crowded. I'd be happy to help you however I can so if you have any specific questions about places just post it here and I'll try to respond! Good luck!!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM

351 posts, read 1,000,857 times
Here's some positive related links to the BRAC expansion and whatnot in Fayetteville.

Booz Allen to add hundreds of jobs in Fayetteville :: WRAL.com

Complex could jump-start development :: WRAL.com

Apartment developer looks to bring glitz to Bragg Blvd. :: WRAL.com

Much-needed improvements coming to downtown Fayetteville street :: WRAL.com

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3552006/

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 03-12-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina