Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 AM

2,702 posts, read 5,999,831 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a soon-to-be college grad from Texas, I'm 22 & I'm Caribbean (from Trinidad) & I am hoping to relocate to either NC or VA...I am leaning more towards NC just because I have read that their job market is more stable than is Virginia's. I have received my teacher's cert here in TX & I am looking to transfer to NC. I am a middle grades instructor (English Lang Arts & Reading/Social Studies, grades 4-8)

Which cities in NC are good for an open-minded, young black female teacher who is easy to please & wants to build a stable life for herself?

I like the Charlotte area but I have family friends in High Point who are saying that eastern NC is more "young-people" friendly because of the universities (Duke, Carolina, Wake)...

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 AM

4,482 posts, read 9,242,769 times
Unemployment is much higher in NC than in VA. You might look into becoming qualified in both states and taking a job where you can get one.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hello everyone, I am a soon-to-be college grad from Texas, I'm 22 & I'm Caribbean (from Trinidad) & I am hoping to relocate to either NC or VA...I am leaning more towards NC just because I have read that their job market is more stable than is Virginia's. I have received my teacher's cert here in TX & I am looking to transfer to NC. I am a middle grades instructor (English Lang Arts & Reading/Social Studies, grades 4-8)

Which cities in NC are good for an open-minded, young black female teacher who is easy to please & wants to build a stable life for herself?

I like the Charlotte area but I have family friends in High Point who are saying that eastern NC is more "young-people" friendly because of the universities (Duke, Carolina, Wake)...

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Hello old friend - funny seeing you here instead of on the relationship forum

I don't know where you could have possibly read that the job market is more stable in NC than in Virginia

The truth is that Virginia's unemployment rate is about 6% and in NC it's 12%. The unofficial number in Charlotte alone is 17%! In addition, we are having major funding issues in our schools - many teachers have been laid off in the last 2 years and it is not getting any better. As much as I love NC, I cannot in good conscience encourage you to come here - if you were a math teacher, MAYBE, but honestly you'd have a lot of competition for jobs otherwise.

Just curious, why not stay in Texas after graduation? It is also a lot healthier than NC right now job-wise.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just curious, why not stay in Texas after graduation? It is also a lot healthier than NC right now job-wise.
Good point--I think Texas has one of the lowest unemployment rates anywhere, right now.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,016 times
My neighbor is a middle school teacher in the Charlotte school system, and she will vouch that right now is a rough time for teachers. She said that CMS did a lot of laying off, and is possibly looking at more in the future. Math and Science are "safer" subjects, but it is a bleak picture all around.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,975 times
I was recently offered a job in aviation in the greensborro area, i am concerned about the stability of aviaiton there. And the recent increase in taxes, what's up with that?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,577,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timco2011 View Post
I was recently offered a job in aviation in the greensborro area, i am concerned about the stability of aviaiton there. And the recent increase in taxes, what's up with that?

Public services that make an area desirable to newcomers need tax money to fund them. When more people move to an area, and use these public services more and more, tax increases are required in order to maintain to same level of service.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 AM

310 posts, read 573,780 times
The overall unemployment may be better in TX, but that doesn't mean the public sector is in good shape.

Teacher layoffs in Texas could cut 100,000 jobs across state | kvue.com | KVUE News home | KVUE.com | Austin news

AISD in distress

Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM

491 posts, read 1,255,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
The overall unemployment may be better in TX, but that doesn't mean the public sector is in good shape.

Teacher layoffs in Texas could cut 100,000 jobs across state | kvue.com | KVUE News home | KVUE.com | Austin news

AISD in distress
What you noted is true, but as a native Texan who also lived several years in NC, I'd stay in Texas. (And I do dearly love NC) At a minimum, check the school teacher salaries where you want to go in NC. In the county I used to live in, starting teacher salaries where not high enough for a teacher to be able to afford even an apartment without someone else helping out, like spouse, etc.

Rick Perry will not be Governor forever. I feel that the people of my home state will eventually wake up and realize that they can't let the infrastructure and public school system fall apart. Texas does not create jobs, they import them from other states and eventually not having decent schools will come back to haunt them.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,780,093 times
Take your chances in Texas.....Stay in Texas..... they are in better financial shape.....Better opportunities. Much much more diverse in Texas than North Carolina....Fabulous shopping and much much more to do in Texas.....THINK ON IT.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina