U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 01:21 PM

174 posts, read 161,379 times

Advertisements

Those of you thinking of moving to coast need to be careful in the water. Bull sharks are common to both North and South Carolina and they often swim upriver into fresh water. They've even been found half way up the Mississippi.

Quote:
A large bull shark attacked and injured a woman as she stood in less than 2 feet of water at a South Carolina beach.

Susan Dornquast, who is from Texas, said she was standing near shore at Murrells Inlet in South Carolina when the shark came out of the water and bit her leg.

"I just turned around to look at the waves coming in and that is when the shark came up," Dornquast said. "I felt it hit my leg and thought that was more than water. I looked down and saw the shark swimming off.
Orlando News, Florida Breaking News, Headlines & Orlando Weather - WKMG Local6
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,914,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBreakdance View Post
Those of you thinking of moving to coast need to be careful in the water. Bull sharks are common to both North and South Carolina and they often swim upriver into fresh water. They've even been found half way up the Mississippi.

Orlando News, Florida Breaking News, Headlines & Orlando Weather - WKMG Local6
That doesn't surprise me one bit....The only shark species which can tolerate freshwater, and compensate the needed salt with a special gland they have.
We find them in all freshwater ways down in FL, and they are fearsome.
There were incidents I guess in the 1940's or so all the way up in NJ, in a freshwater river.
After recent re-opening the case (several people were eaten), and investigation, scientists determined (without a doubt), that it was a bullshark.
Now isn't THAT scary!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,723,622 times
When you consider all of the people in the water at the same time, the number of shark attacks is very, very remote. Your chances of winning the lottery are greater than being attacked by a shark

There are millions of people in the water at any given moment of the day

The drive you will make to the beach is far more dangerous, but an auto accident that kills several people will not make big headlines across the U.S. But a shark attack on one person will

According to the ISAF there in 2006 there was only
4 attacks in south carolina out of 365 days
and in North Carolina only ONE
both numbers are down from the previous year.

Between 26 million and 73 million sharks are killed each year for their fins according to October 2006 edition of Ecology Letters. The estimates are three times higher than those projected by the United Nations

Old 06-04-2007, 01:57 PM

174 posts, read 161,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Your chances of winning the lottery are greater than being attacked by a shark
Winning the lottery is a chance that I am willing to take. Getting bitten by a shark, well, what kind of prize is that?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,914,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
When you consider all of the people in the water at the same time, the number of shark attacks is very, very remote. Your chances of winning the lottery are greater than being attacked by a shark

There are millions of people in the water at any given moment of the day

The drive you will make to the beach is far more dangerous, but an auto accident that kills several people will not make big headlines across the U.S. But a shark attack on one person will

According to the ISAF there in 2006 there was only
4 attacks in south carolina out of 365 days
and in North Carolina only ONE
both numbers are down from the previous year.

Between 26 million and 73 million sharks are killed each year for their fins according to October 2006 edition of Ecology Letters. The estimates are three times higher than those projected by the United Nations
I applaud the correct statement!
I still go into the water, still skuba, snorkel....swim........
If it happens, I guess it was meant to be...lol.
I am not sweating it at all, but, it's WAY different then my husband opinion....lol (surprised he goes into the tub by himself....LOL )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: