Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM

39 posts, read 177,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In Florida we would get that same blank stare from the guy at the check out that we got back in Long Island.
LOL I know that stare.

Quote:
alligators
About alligators... there's three that live in the canal outside my apartment window. I look at them from my balcony and it's like watching a wild life show. Actually, they're one of the things I'll miss. I grew up here... kayaking next to them, driving past them, swiming with them, eating them...

Quote:
Good luck - you can't go wrong with those choices!
That's a nice way to look at it. I had been looking at is as right/wrong choice, good/bad choice... maybe I should just start thinking of it all as win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:56 PM

305 posts, read 768,057 times
We have alligators in NC. If you end up in Wilmington or points near there you can catch a glimpse occasionally. They're obviously not as numerous as in FL, but we do have 'em.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 AM

Panchodog, that's nice to hear! I had no idea they lived that far north!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:23 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
Catrick,

If we stayed in FL, FT Lauderdale was one of the places we are considering. What was life in Ft Lauderdale like? Is it a beautiful place to live like I've seen in some pictures with all the canals? We haven't been yet but are thinking of making a trip to some S. Florida cities before making the jump out of state.

I was checking out some downtown condos in FT Lauderdale and the HOA fees were $700+ a month! I thought that was a lot. So maybe Ft Lauderdale will turn out to be out of our league anyways.

Thanks for your help Catrick, I don't know anyone in/from Ft Lauderdale!
Ft. Lauderdale is a beautiful city. And since you are young, you would enjoy the nightlife. Great clubs and restaurants. A beautiful beach. It is a bit pricey to live there. Since you already live in Tampa, you know all about the insurance rates for your car, but they are higher in S. Florida. I don't know if you have homeowners insurance, but if you move, they will not transfer you and you will end up with the State insurance agency. I would definitely visit and take in the city.

As to the weather, my Dad lived in Tampa so I visited there a lot and there is a difference. Tampa would at least cool off a bit. While you won't hit the 100's because of the ocean breeze in Lauderdale, the humitiy is always high. Once in a while you will get a west breeze off the Everglades and then it does warm up.

Not much open space unless you go west and that's the Everglades. A truly special and beautiful place. Basically you have wall to wall cities from Miami to West Palm.

And of course you are close to the Keys. It's like another world down there but if you like any water activities, that's the place to visit. Although Lauderdale has it's share of fun.

As I said we left because of the high cost of living and the heat and humidity. We are older so it got to us more. Although my son still lives around there and he complains too.

Also, I don't know your job situation and there is high unemployment there too. And, because of all the Hispanics that live in the area, being bilingual is a must in the workforce. A lot of traffic and it's true the drivers are nasty.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I still miss it and it's nice to go back but still glad we made the move.

So as I said, go visit and even if you decide against it, you will have a great vacation.
Quote:
Catrick,

One more question.... are there any big lakes around Charlotte (or the other big cities in NC)? Any kind of nice water scene? Thanks!
Lake Norman as stated and Jordan Lake west of Raleigh are the two I am familiar with. A lot of rivers here and of course there is the Coast with the sounds and the ocean.

If I left out anything, please feel free to ask more questiions.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 AM

Catrick,

The more we hear and think about it, sounds like S Florida isn't for us. Neither me or my hubby are into the club thing or late night parties. Most of our night's out involve just friends and dinner or movies.

The high cost of living is scaring us away from S Florida too. If we stay in FL it'll probably be in the Tampa Bay area. Although my husband is very multilingual (I think it's 6 different languages) Spanish isn't one of them. Me neither! We'd rather have extra money to go out, travel, have fun... than spend it all on insurance and other higher S Florida costs.

I think NC is sounding like a better option for us. And we've already figured, if we really miss the ocean, we can take a weekend trip to the shore. Hopefully we'll get in a community that has a neighborhood pool, or we'll just build our own in the back yard.

I'll miss the palm trees and tropical weather... but I guess there'll be new stuff to like in NC. Anyways, we're going to come check it out before making the move... probably in August.

One more question catrick, which do you like better... Charlotte or Raleigh? I like that Charlotte is a bigger city, since we like a somewhat urban feel. But willing to hear about Raleigh too, not to overlook it!

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Quote:
Catrick,

The more we hear and think about it, sounds like S Florida isn't for us. Neither me or my hubby are into the club thing or late night parties. Most of our night's out involve just friends and dinner or movies.

The high cost of living is scaring us away from S Florida too. If we stay in FL it'll probably be in the Tampa Bay area. Although my husband is very multilingual (I think it's 6 different languages) Spanish isn't one of them. Me neither! We'd rather have extra money to go out, travel, have fun... than spend it all on insurance and other higher S Florida costs.

I think NC is sounding like a better option for us. And we've already figured, if we really miss the ocean, we can take a weekend trip to the shore. Hopefully we'll get in a community that has a neighborhood pool, or we'll just build our own in the back yard.

I'll miss the palm trees and tropical weather... but I guess there'll be new stuff to like in NC. Anyways, we're going to come check it out before making the move... probably in August.

One more question catrick, which do you like better... Charlotte or Raleigh? I like that Charlotte is a bigger city, since we like a somewhat urban feel. But willing to hear about Raleigh too, not to overlook it!

Thanks again for all the help.
Raleigh is smaller, think Tallahassee, but with a lot of suburbs. Charlotte is more urban and sounds like a better fit for you. Both are great places but I have friends that live in Charlotte or the surrounding areas and love it. I haven't spent too much time there but from what I've seen it's great. I read your question on the Charlotte forum and you got great answers. And if you have any more questions about the area, those people on the forum are great and will tell it like it is.

Raleigh is in the Triangle which includes Durham and Chapel Hill. Duke and UNC are there. And between the three cities, there is a lot to do. Did you check out the Triangle forum?

But in my opinion Charlotte is still more Urban.

So hope this somewhat helps.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,295 times
I'm originally from San Diego. I've also lived in NM, SC, and I've been in Charlotte, NC for 5 years. I am considering moving to Panama City, FL... Besides the ocean, is there any reason to or not to make the move??

Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 AM

5 posts, read 12,454 times
Moved here from ft lauderdale (plantation) 4 yrs ago with 3 middle school/HS aged daughters. Familair with DC, family up there.

Traffic in S Fla and DC is horrendous compared to Raleigh. THere are good people everywhere, but found NC people (even the transpalnts) to be more friendly and less rude, and less dog-eat-dog mentality (socially and business). LOved having my sailboat on Key Biscayne, but it was a lot of traffic to get there, and lots of jerks on the water in cigarette boats driving like they owned the world.

Plenty of natural wonders in NC. Canals in S Fl are very expensive to live on. You can do a day trip to the beach easily in S Fla. From Raleigh its hard but possible. Really more of a weekend thing from Rlaeigh. I would want a long 3 or 4 day weekend from Charlotte to make it worth the drive. But mountains and skiing are close. Outerbanks is much better in many ways than crowded Fla beaches. I like raleigh over charlotte due to being closer to the coast. Plus having Duke, NC state and UNC all right here adds a lot of cultural and social value.

Within the triangle (raleigh , chapel hill, durham) still a lot of variety culturally and socially. N raleigh tends to be more old South. Durham , inside the belt way in Raleigh, Downtown Raleigh, Carrborro, Hillsboro all have very unique cultures.... more hip, eclectic etc. Cary is more of a corporate suburb with great schools.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 PM

105 posts, read 107,659 times
Default Florida is pathetic

I Have been in Florida for 35 years and it is pathetic. I am in Jax know which at least has a fall season.
The heat and humidity starts in April and doesn't let up till minimum October-November-December.
That means mold, roaches,mosquitoes, fire ants,bad tempers,torrential rain and lightning. The government is corrupt run by developers, which pillage the land and defraud the homeowners.
Highways are undersized which causes continuous traffic problem.
The landscape is a soul killer. Jobs are low paying. Alot of deranged people here seeking paradise.
No sense of community.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,123 times
Hi

I am considering a move to Florida or North Carolina from Orange County, California. Main reason for moving is the high cost of living in OC, and would like to buy an affordable house for my son to grow up in. I looked at Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando. I settled on Orlando until someone mentioned that there is a bad snake and alligator infestation. Just how bad is it in Orlando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina