Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times

Advertisements

This is about a woman who lives in Raleigh and her Raleigh Lawyer...

Wife Wins $9 Million From Husband's Alleged Mistress
North Carolina 'Alienation of Affection' Law May Force Alleged Mistress to Pay Up

Apparently, in NC, if a man or woman goes after a married man or woman, they can be held liable and be SUED. wow.

See: Wife Wins $9 Million From Husband's Alleged Mistress - ABC News

Cynthia Shackelford of Raleigh deserves a medal for pursuing this lawsuit against a dirtbag husband (per her children) - read the article... :-)

anyone know where we can send her a few $$ - the article says she has zero savings b/c of this lawsuit and neither her hubby or mistress will pay up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Yes, very familiar with it.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Are you expecting this to be an issue that hits close to home for most people on this board?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
No, Raleigh NC hitting national news always piques my interest...

plus I get inundated with emails from friends/relatives saying 'did you see this'. Which I find kind of interesting...I don't email anyone else with emails about national news stories in their cities...

I wonder what they think of Raleigh to do that...

<grin>

Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times
WeLuvNCL Hi. I'm very familiar with that because of my own situation. I used the law as leverage against my ex, who wanted to protect his mistress from it.
My attorney did tell me, however, that such an action (suing the other woman) would result in a lawsuit that would become about me instead. Imagine that.
So my conclusion is that filing that kind of lawsuit would take solid evidence against the offender, plus the one bringing the lawsuit would have to have to be ready to be examined with a microscope. I'm thinking suing someone with this law would not happen very much, but IMHO more states should have legislation like that!

PS: I'm not saying I have anything at all to hide, but my ex is a "convincing blamer!"

Old 03-23-2010, 12:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
No, Raleigh NC hitting national news always piques my interest...

plus I get inundated with emails from friends/relatives saying 'did you see this'. Which I find kind of interesting...I don't email anyone else with emails about national news stories in their cities...

I wonder what they think of Raleigh to do that...

<grin>
It's not just NC - there are a handful of states that still carry these antiquated laws on their books, including:

Hawaii
Illinois
Mississippi
New Hampshire
New Mexico
South Dakota
Utah

These laws date back to the 1800's, to a time when women had no rights and were considered property of their husbands Back in those times they existed in every state.

Today these laws are used pretty much as a means of extracting revenge on the spouse who wants out of a marriage. And the sad thing is, when kids are involved this kind of thing just scars them further.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I hope Elizabeth Edward uses this law against John Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
This is about a woman who lives in Raleigh and her Raleigh Lawyer...

Wife Wins $9 Million From Husband's Alleged Mistress
North Carolina 'Alienation of Affection' Law May Force Alleged Mistress to Pay Up

Apparently, in NC, if a man or woman goes after a married man or woman, they can be held liable and be SUED. wow.

See: Wife Wins $9 Million From Husband's Alleged Mistress - ABC News

Cynthia Shackelford of Raleigh deserves a medal for pursuing this lawsuit against a dirtbag husband (per her children) - read the article... :-)

anyone know where we can send her a few $$ - the article says she has zero savings b/c of this lawsuit and neither her hubby or mistress will pay up...

Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I hope Elizabeth Edward uses this law against John Edwards
she was actually threatening to use it against the aid that had the sex tape and wrote the book. I can't recall his name

edit: FOUND IT, Andrew Young

Elizabeth Edwards Threatens Husband's Ex-Aide Andrew Young With Lawsuit - ABC News

Elizabeth Edwards Warns Andrew Young to Zip it, or She'll Sue

Young: Elizabeth Edwards threatens to sue - 2/11/10 - Raleigh News - abc11.com

==================================================

On a side note it seems like ABC is single handedly keeping this stuff in the news. nationally, they've done the most reporting on Edwards/Hunter/Young thingie and they had this $9 million lawsuit on GMA as well.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I know Elisabeth has a good heart but the lack of passion from John to
do what he done and Racheal ray to rub it more in her face by posing
in just a dress shirt in GQ ..ELISABETH SUE PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
she was actually threatening to use it against the aid that had the sex tape and wrote the book. I can't recall his name

edit: FOUND IT, Andrew Young

Elizabeth Edwards Threatens Husband's Ex-Aide Andrew Young With Lawsuit - ABC News

Elizabeth Edwards Warns Andrew Young to Zip it, or She'll Sue

Young: Elizabeth Edwards threatens to sue - 2/11/10 - Raleigh News - abc11.com

==================================================

On a side note it seems like ABC is single handedly keeping this stuff in the news. nationally, they've done the most reporting on Edwards/Hunter/Young thingie and they had this $9 million lawsuit on GMA as well.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Default Really? How it is this less valid today than before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
These laws date back to the 1800's, to a time when women had no rights and were considered property of their husbands Back in those times they existed in every state.

Today these laws are used pretty much as a means of extracting revenge on the spouse who wants out of a marriage. And the sad thing is, when kids are involved this kind of thing just scars them further.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...if I had used this law against my ex husbands mistress (which I could have done...she plotted a long time to get him...once left a slinky top under the front seat of his car, etc) wouldn't this law be empowering me? If it forced my ex and his girlfriend to take responsibility for their actions? In his case he would not have cheated were it not for two very aggressive women. He just doesn't have the stones to pursue that himself.

And I also don't know about extracting revenge. Would that have been vengeful or vindictive on my part? Their relationship not only ruined my romantic relationship and broke my heart, but also ruined me financially. She was well off---and so could afford manicures, fancy vacations, booze, and a generally carefree lifestyle, while I was at home with housework and sick babies, diapers and home repairs that didn't get done because he wasn't home. Now I have financial independence but I will never have the level of lifestyle OR the retirement fund I had prior to divorce.

Yes, affections were indeed Alienated, and I got left holding the proverbial bag (which I guess is proverbially empty). He suffers very little for his complete disregard for our marriage vows. And they BOTH live at the same or higher standards than they used to.

I have not pursued revenge---we filed for uncontested divorce to spare my children the trial---so I didn't even get the satisfaction of an Adultery judgement. I didn't have the money to hire a PI to get the evidence I needed. Had I had the option of suing HER, I might have reconsidered that decision in order to make her pay fairly for my pain and suffering. As it stands now, the only prize she got was him (a dubious prize at best) and one of the reasons he wants me and the kids to move to NC is to get away from HER!

Revenge or Justice?

If it will work for Elizabeth, how about Elin Woods? She could sue those money grubbing bimbos for every penny they earn from their tell-all interviews and book deals. Then donate that money to battered women's shelters. That would be a very modern way to stop trashy adulterers from prospering when they go after celebrities or the wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: