Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,892 times

Advertisements

My hubby wants us out of Cali and fast
Ive been praying about where were gonna make our permanent move to
and raise our kids, for some reason one time North Carolina came into my mind and cant seem to get it out of my head

Hed want a small town in the outskirts and four seasons
I want a safe town but not too far from a big city

Anyone have any thoughts?

Also how much do heavy equipment operator makes in for example

Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 10:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useranamepatty View Post
My hubby wants us out of Cali and fast
Ive been praying about where were gonna make our permanent move to
and raise our kids, for some reason one time North Carolina came into my mind and cant seem to get it out of my head

Hed want a small town in the outskirts and four seasons
I want a safe town but not too far from a big city

Anyone have any thoughts?

Also how much do heavy equipment operator makes in for example

Raleigh?

Charlotte and Raleigh are where all the grow and building is going on, so concentrate your searchs around those cities. In the Raleigh area you should check out Cary and Fuquay Varina - also Carboro.

In the Charlotte area look at Mooresville, Davidson or Belmont.

Best of luck to you, keep praying, I'm sure you'll find the right direction

Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte and Raleigh are where all the grow and building is going on, so concentrate your searchs around those cities. In the Raleigh area you should check out Cary and Fuquay Varina - also Carboro.

In the Charlotte area look at Mooresville, Davidson or Belmont.

Best of luck to you, keep praying, I'm sure you'll find the right direction

I agree with LM. Charlotte and Raleigh are good areas with good job concentrations and things to do. If you're wanting a town that still has its "small town" feel (not suburban) and afordable, but still convenient to the city, look at Mt. Pleasant/Kings Mnt./Clover/Troutman around Charlotte. In the Raleigh area, I have a sister-in-law who live in Hillsborough and loves it.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times
I am going to be the negative Nelly here. Have your husband get a job before you move anywhere. Heavy equipment operator is very broad. I watch as people throw out towns in this forum not know if his job will even be close to them or if it is within your budget.
If you want recommendations make it easy on the people who reply. Give us ideas of what you are looking to spend and where your spouse is working so we can be effective in our posting.
Here is hoping your relocation goes well.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
I am going to be the negative Nelly here. Have your husband get a job before you move anywhere. Heavy equipment operator is very broad. I watch as people throw out towns in this forum not know if his job will even be close to them or if it is within your budget.
If you want recommendations make it easy on the people who reply. Give us ideas of what you are looking to spend and where your spouse is working so we can be effective in our posting.
Here is hoping your relocation goes well.
You are not being negative It has been stated on this forum many times but bears repeating - unless you are independently wealthy and money is no object, do not plan a move to NC without first securing a job. The job market here is tight and the unemployment rates low. With so much competition for jobs no one should make a move without one.

But be fair, throwing out names of towns helps the op know where to start looking for those jobs

Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Over here in the east the heavy equipment operators start out in the $10 to $11 an hour range. Employment in that field can be difficult to find if you don't know someone.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,278 times
newsobserver.com
The local newspaper for Raleigh. Has a nice search feature for jobs in the classifieds section of the site.
I'd start there.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,229 times
We are in GA and have been wanting to move to NC also. We like the Asheville area. I have been looking for a job for DH for many months now. I have sent in resumes that he didn't even know about. And we have gotten nothing. There's always someonoe more qualified. He works in building supplies and makes good money here, but we are just so miserable here. We don't want to take a cut in pay, so we just wait and pray. I agree about securing a GOOD job before you move anywhere.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM

174 posts, read 196,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
I am going to be the negative Nelly here. Have your husband get a job before you move anywhere.
Quote:
You are not being negative It has been stated on this forum many times but bears repeating - unless you are independently wealthy and money is no object, do not plan a move to NC without first securing a job.
Great advice. My wife just finished grad school (not in NC) and we want to move back to either North of South Carolina to be near family. Even though many relatives have offered us FREE housing (several of our family members own rental properties), we have enough savings to last at least a year, and I can transfer upon request, we aren't moving until SHE finds a job!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM

127 posts, read 599,959 times
Quote:
do not plan a move to NC without first securing a job. The job market here is tight and the unemployment rates low. With so much competition for jobs no one should make a move without one.
I guess this depends on the type of work you do. I moved here from So-Cal without a job lined up. I spent a few weeks moving in and whatnot. Then one day I opened up a newspaper, made a phone call, drove to an interview and got hired, all in one day. I guess there seems to be a big need for software developers here in the Triad area.

As far as taking a pay-cut... you should factor in the difference in cost of living when looking at pay scales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina