Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,818 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I are looking to move to n.c. from n.j. Don't have a clue where to look. I have two small school children. I am looking for an area with low crime, good schools, affordable housing with decent sized lots and an area that is not in a flood zone. Any commemts are appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon2627 View Post
Hi. My family and I are looking to move to n.c. from n.j. Don't have a clue where to look. I have two small school children. I am looking for an area with low crime, good schools, affordable housing with decent sized lots and an area that is not in a flood zone. Any commemts are appreciated. Thank you.
The best place to start looking is where you and your family can find employment.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon2627 View Post
Hi. My family and I are looking to move to n.c. from n.j. Don't have a clue where to look.
Just curious: if you "don't know where to look", how did you pick NC? Have you visited here before? Will this be because of a job transfer? (If not, be aware that NC's employment is over 11% now, among the highest in the US and the highest in Nc's history). There must be something that has caused you to pick NC versus another place, even though you (seeingly) don't know anything about the state? Might there be another area just as appealing to you once you figure out your criteria?

There is probably a thread a week on this topic posted here--you can find a lot by searching the archive. But definitely make sure you have a job lined up before moving, unless you work from home or are retired.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM

28 posts, read 46,019 times
wow i laughed when i saw this cause i am a new jersyan and moved to nc u should see hendersonville,nc

Old 03-27-2010, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,818 times
I have a computer based business so looking for a job is not a priority. My husband has money saved up to hold us up for a while as well. He is a general contractor. A lot of neighbors in my town of Riverdale have moved away to n.c. and I have heard that n.c. is where alot of new jersians move to. I was looking to go either central or western n.c. Maybe mountain areas. Riverdale is a small town which is what I like but is becoming very populated and busy which I don't like.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 23,828 times
I live in Charlotte, and there are a lot of transplants from NJ & NY here (I'm a native). Different parts of the state will give you different benefits.

The Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham metro areas are pretty similar, but there is a larger big-city feel to Charlotte. Charlotte has more business exposure while Raleigh/Durham tends more towards R&D/Medical & Education. Both have a large gradient to where you can live 30 miles from downtown in a neighboring town and have the small-town feel with the big-town within driving distance, or live downtown for the city life (albeit MUCH more expensive). All of the piedmont cities are within 2-3 hours of beaches & mountains so you're a good distance for trips. I've heard better things about the Raleigh area's school systems, while Charlotte consists of gems & duds.

The Winston-Salem & Greensboro areas are in the middle, and while not as developed, offer a happy medium. I can't speak for these areas since I rarely visit them.

Anywhere East of Raleigh or South of Charlotte metro is going to have sandy soil and be very humid, like the beach, but some people like that. Wilmington is a smaller laid back college town with the benefit of the beach, Fayetteville a military town which I doubt would suit your needs. I can't think of a good kid-friendly coastal town that I've visited but maybe someone else can add onto that.

If you prefer the mountains and colder weather, Asheville and Boone are nice options (Boone is definitely a college town though). Asheville would probably be better than Boone for your needs, and is a beutiful place.

Every city I mentioned is surrounded by small towns which vary in the "small-town feel" aspect, so I'd decide which area you like the most and then look at your options within a 50 mile radius (areas being Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Coastal, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Mountains.

To wind down this long-winded post, I'll give you some info on my home turf. There's one thing about Charlotte people who've moved here tell me: Its a great place to raise children. To elaborate on "gems and duds" from earlier, there are schools that are lacking and there are schools consistently as best in the state (South Charlotte area), and some surrounding towns have great school systems. The whole "CMS" school system is worse than Raleighs though. One benefit/downside (depends on how you look at it) is the city is overly PC and very moderate politically, so the PC facade can be sickening sometimes since everyone puts it on.

Hope this helpd a little

Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
This kind of thinking makes me think of two people talking about drownings:

First guy: Yes, it was awful. He drowned in 10 feet of water. Was devastating to his friends, family, the entire area. A real loss.

Second guy: Oh, that's NOTHING! I knew a guy who drowned in 30 feet of water -- that's THREE times what your guy drowned in!!!

...the result is the same. If you can't find a job, you're drowning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nose1 View Post
wow i laughed when i saw this cause i am a new jersyan and moved to nc u should see hendersonville,nc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina