Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 09:43 AM

18 posts, read 72,663 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Anyone move from the NYC to NC? If so d you have any recommendations for a good, reliable, moving company? I am sort of in a time crunch. I had to cancel the moving company I orginally was going to use because the closing on my apt was delayed. Now that I am set to close again, they are no longer available this month, so I need to find someone. Thanks in advance for your help!

Take care,
Davida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 AM

237 posts, read 855,792 times
You may want to try ABF, they can be found on upack.com. It is a service where they drop a trailer at your location, give you three days to load it, then they drive it down there, and you unload it. they are very well priced, much cheaper then even uhaul. they only do long distance moves (400 miles or more i think) which NY to NC is that far. Im not sure what your situation is, IE parking depending on where you are. Its worth a checkout anyway. hope this helps

Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 PM

35 posts, read 97,935 times
I would suggest you check out movingscam.com. Since the Carmack Amendment Act came into effect, moving companies seem to think they can do what ever they want to the consumers, and whether or not you enter into a binding contract for a stated amount. The most common is the extortion by fraud i.e. holding entire truck load of household furniture and furnishings, until you pay more money then original contracted; inflating prices; and charging exhorbitant mileage fees. Do your homework before contacting any moving company, including the big names.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
ABFUpack was definitely a fair price for me (and a friend of mine who moved from Jersey to Los Angeles). However, we got a great deal on the biggest Ryder when we moved... too good to pass up. Otherwise, I would have done ABF (I still have some goodies there left in CA and will probably use them for the remainder of those things for travel to NC).

ABF have two options... the portable unit and the truck. The truck they measure per foot starting at around 12 feet deep or so. The portable units, however, are really convenient especially if you are not exact on your times. You can hold it at your place of origination for several days, and store it at your destination (their closest facility) for up to a month before delivering it to your new home (check on the added charge). I think, oftentimes, they won't charge if they hold it at your destination facility location for up to a week.

Also, their prices fluctuate depending on the time of the month and if it's a holiday (since people move on holidays and at the end of the month, their busiest time). Ask them about their cheapest rate at the cheapest time and work them from there.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:19 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
We used North American Van lines from CT to NC, did NOT like them. Sorry I can't help with who's good, but staying away from who's not should help too

Old 06-10-2007, 07:18 PM

15 posts, read 50,060 times
Hi, we used Men on the Move excellent!! I don't have the number but I'm sure they have a website, good luck

Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 AM

18 posts, read 72,663 times
Default Thanks!

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses. I found a moving company that will move my stuff and drive directly to my new home rather than consolidate with other moves. I was a little weary of waiting 4-5 days for my stuff, but I will only have to wait a day. I'll let you know if it was a success or bust.

Thanks again,
Davida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina