U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 17,561 times

Advertisements

The company I might be working for is in fayetteville, is this a good place to live? Are there things to do out there? Where would you suggest I live if it isn't. Im looking for a place that has a decent night life, shops, eateries, etc.... I am moving from Chicago, so I know it will be a huge change... But this is a good opportunity for me and I dont want to pass it up. Thanks for the help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,434 times
Sorry to tell this but don't do it....you'll regret it...if you want change find somewhere else to move but don't move here. If you're from Chicago then it will be a culture shock for you.....no decent nightlife or shopping, and only basic chain restaurants here....if you want to go straight to work and come home and live a boring ass life with nosey neighbors just as bored as you then you'll fit right in....just being honest...

Old 04-11-2010, 03:17 PM

427 posts, read 511,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis29 View Post
The company I might be working for is in fayetteville, is this a good place to live? Are there things to do out there? Where would you suggest I live if it isn't. Im looking for a place that has a decent night life, shops, eateries, etc.... I am moving from Chicago, so I know it will be a huge change... But this is a good opportunity for me and I dont want to pass it up. Thanks for the help
Yeah man, Here's another opinion. Ya gotta have atleast two! From what I'm hearing, Fayettville ain't the place to live. Military town, not an attractive place at all, very high crime. Obviously it's the place for some to live, just maybe not you fella. And remember, if everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:49 PM

3,860 posts, read 5,261,491 times
We have lived here for almost 4 years and not really looking forward to moving sometime next year. My husband is in the military so we were sent here beyond our control lol! Its one of those places that you either love it or hate it. This community does take pride in their town. They are having their annual Dogwood Festival next weekend. When we bought our home last year we found out from our realtor that the housing market is still very good here and something else that will be in our favor when we go to sell is BRAC. Yes its a military town. I grew up in another military town it seems no different. As for crime, its everywhere you go. So to say its very high crime is not a fair statement. As for nightlife, I'm not into that scene anymore. I do know they just recently re-opened a place called the Rock Shop here. There is a place downtown called Huske Hardware that after a certain time it becomes a place where you have to be 21 or older to get into. The place itself the service and food is not that great. JMO though.
As for other things to do for example tonight on post Daughtry is doing a free concert. Last 4th of July John Michael Carroll and Jullian Hough performed on post also.
The shopping may not be that great and yeah there are many chain restaurants, but at least there is a nice variety to pick from. On the other hand Raleigh is 1-1 1/2 hrs away, Wilmington is about the same distance, your about 5 1/2 hrs from DC and Jacksonville, FL, 5-6 hrs from Asheville (Biltmore), 3 hrs from Charlotte, 3 hrs from Mytle Beach, 8 1/2 hrs from Orlando the list goes on. Yes there are many things to do in a driving distance, but then again, I love venturing off into different places.
If you are thinking pretty seriously about taking a job here, see if you can visit here first before making the decision. Like I said its a place where you either love it or hate it.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,711,250 times
Well it won't be Chicago but no where else will be either. It will be a culture shock both Southern and Military. If you are not comfortable with either then you might not like it. There are plenty of safe places to live both in the city limits and the surrounding areas. Compared to where you are now I don't think crime is an issue. You will surprised at how affordable home prices are. You can look up some of my old posts where I describe all the fun things there are to do in this area. Raleigh is only a little over an hours away so you can get the bigger city feel and amenities you might miss.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,113 times
It always amazes me to read how people bash Fayetteville. Fayetteville is a great place to live, other than about a 10 year stint, I have lived here most of my life.

I constantly get calls in my business that ask me if Fayetteville is like what they read here and other sites....(i.e. shootings nightly, nothing but bars and hookers and drugs, rough neighborhood, shanty houses) and I have to wonder if the people posting these responses have ever even been here.

We constantly have people who are leaving the military and don't ever want to leave. They love the climate, the employment opportunities and the general "feel" of the area.

Fayetteville is a great place and our thriving real estate community shows that. Before you give Fayetteville such a bad rap, please either visit or ask me why I think it's great!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 AM

8,615 posts, read 12,668,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjr View Post
Sorry to tell this but don't do it....you'll regret it...if you want change find somewhere else to move but don't move here. If you're from Chicago then it will be a culture shock for you.....no decent nightlife or shopping, and only basic chain restaurants here....if you want to go straight to work and come home and live a boring ass life with nosey neighbors just as bored as you then you'll fit right in....just being honest...
This poster is right imo. There are no real job opportunities,nothing to do but go to the buffet and church,and oh yeah,boring. Also fayetteville has to me some of the most unfriendly people,even worse than North Jersey and New York. I didn't sense any southern hospitality.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:47 AM

It is only boring if you want it to be.

Ever check out this magazine to see what is going on?

The Fayetteville Feed, Music, Events, Theater, Arts, what's happening, North Carolina, Fayetteville NC, the Feed, Fort Bragg, Hope Mills.

or this one.

upandcomingweekly.com

If you are bored it is your own fault.

Of course; this ain't New Jersey so maybe I don't understand what requirements you might have not to be bored.

Fayetteville is too diverse nowdays to have much Southern flavor.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:58 PM

610 posts, read 2,918,755 times
It is funny how all of the real estate agents and people who are selling their homes in Fayetteville paint this picture like Fayetteville is paradise and the promised land.

Fayetteville is nothing more than a run-down military town with a large transient population, period.

Fayetteville is dirty,crime ridden, and offers very little in the way of recreational opportunites.

In 2007, Forbes voted Fayetteville as one of the the top 10 worst places in America to raise kids, and being a Fayetteville native myself, I totally agree with Forbes.

Fayetteville STINKS!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 AM

You won't see me say it is paradise or the promised land. It is a military town and that comes with good and bad. Ft. Bragg is the largest army post in the US in terms of personnel. So business cater to the military.

There is on-going effort to clean up the town. It has a ways to go. Downtown has seen major improvements since I got here on 2002. Crime is still higher than it should be for a city it's size. There is a sizable segment of the local population that is poor and underemployed. The textile and manufacturing jobs have all gone overseas. For me crime has been easy to avoid but staying out of certain known areas. Like most any city. I've only experienced the theft of a utility trailer from my office. I recovered it 8 months later by chasing down the person towing it an calling the sheriff. IMHO crime is overplayed and if you take normal precautions like locking your car doors and setting the alarm when you leave the house you will have no problem at all.

The above poster stated recreational activities are limited. I don't know what the poster is looking for but there is no shortage of arts, sports, civic and special interest clubs to get involved in.

OK, let me bring out the statisics.....

One of the top five places to buy or sell a house
Top 5 Places to Buy and Sell a Home - ABC News

Time magazine says we are the most Pro-Military town
Fayetteville: America's Most Pro-Military Town - TIME

Listed as a 5-star town for Military retirees
http://www.visitfayettevillenc.com/assets/file/where%20to%20Retire.pdf (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>