Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM

293 posts, read 959,385 times

Advertisements

From the information that I have gathered for some Union county schools, it seems that the school nurse is only there for 1 or 2 full days. What happens if a child gets sick or injured on the other days? Who takes care of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 05:18 AM

787 posts, read 3,584,817 times
I don't know about there specifically but where I live at the parents are notified to come and pick up the child. The EMT's did go out to the school to attempt to get something out of Brianna's nose once but when that failed, I had to go and get her and take her to the doctor myself. Quite frankly, I would rather take my own kids to their own doctor than for a school nurse with no medical history taking care of my children. Now there is a health nurse on site at the high school but from my understanding in Greene County at least she is there for other issues like pregnancy and STD education and the like. In Greene County, which is about 4-5 hours to the northeast of Charlotte, they just simply either call the EMT's and have the child transported to the hospital that is either the closest in a big emergency or the hospital of the parents' choice. One good thing about where I live at, Snow Hill is situationed almost in the center of four other counties' hospitals. But most people have a preference one way or the other. We use Pitt County to the northeast of us. Otherwise the parent is notified and the child is picked up by the family. In Wayne County, they had a first aid room that was manned by volunteers. Since I was a nurse back in the 80's, when my turn came to volunteer, I had the honor of checking the children for head lice. There is probably someone at the school that is trained to deal with acute emergencies. But as for a full time RN, I don't know of a school at least around here that has one.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 AM

741 posts, read 3,512,017 times
It still amazes me how different things are. We have 2 full time staffed nurses at the elementary schools, and at least 1 in the middle and high schools. They administer medicine to the kids, check their temperature, band-aid's for the recess scraped and bleeding elbow's and knees. They even used to do a throat culture, at least when I was in school. The kids go to the nurses office if they have to do a #2 real bad. When a kid doesn't feel well in school where do they go? Teachers here just send them to the nurses office. I remember watching dateline one night about schools in CA. I think there was 1 nurse for like 30 schools, she would travel back and forth, 1/2 day here, 1/2 day there. She looked exausted. It was the women who ran the front office who would bandage up the kids. and she looked exausted too. Also, the nurse performs hearing tests every year, I think vision testing also. Not that they really need to, thats what the pediatrician is for.

Last edited by FL little foot; 08-09-2006 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina