Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM

9 posts, read 22,743 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking to relocate after finishing school. Let me tell you all a little about myself, then you tell me where you think the best place in NC is for me.....

I'm a 28 year old African American female (race doesn't matter to me), with no children, looking to settle down soon. I am not looking to be around a bunch of spring breakers 24-7. I'm from Atlanta, so I'm soooo used to and growing tired of the mini LA night life.

I like the city to shop and hang out, but I like calmness to live around. I like to shop in eccentric and cheap areas, yet like to be not too far away from a Target or a cool mall. I love jazz spots, karaoke bars, other, independent bars and restaurants. I desire to be close to a beach.

I will be renting, so I need low to mid priced cost of living. I need to be at a place where there's an abundance of artistic technology jobs (graphic design, web design, etc.).

So where do you think is best and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPeachy1908 View Post
Hi. I'm looking to relocate after finishing school. Let me tell you all a little about myself, then you tell me where you think the best place in NC is for me.....
Why NC, specifically (and not SC, VA, etc?) What if "the best place for you" is in one of those states? Just curious...usually someone picks a city/town they like, not a state without knowing anywhere more specific.

Do be aware that NC's unemployment rate is among the highest in the US (and the highest it's ever been in NC), so be sure to line up a job before moving to wherever that turns out to be

Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Why NC, specifically (and not SC, VA, etc?) What if "the best place for you" is in one of those states? Just curious...usually someone picks a city/town they like, not a state without knowing anywhere more specific.

Do be aware that NC's unemployment rate is among the highest in the US (and the highest it's ever been in NC), so be sure to line up a job before moving to wherever that turns out to be
actually, happened to be subscribed to several state forums (florida, nc, va) and the same poster posted the same question on each of those with just the state name changed so i would assume she is "casing" several states. almost made me want to check all the other 47 just to see who else is being considered for the new "America's Newest Resident" show.

May seem somewhat broad but in reality, it's likely an initial sweep - pretty general and vague but that's often where one starts.

and in checking (not all 47 forums but her profile), she's considering three states...I've lived in all three - I can relate to the connections.

Last edited by mzfroggez; 04-21-2010 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: addition needed

Old 04-21-2010, 07:25 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
I'd suggest DC area

Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 16,463 times
Boone, NC

Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'd suggest DC area
for low to medium cost of living????? tongue in cheek, no doubt!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM

33 posts, read 105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanna3 View Post
Boone, NC
She said she desires to be close to a beach

Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'd suggest DC area
is there alot of crime in DC?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
actually, happened to be subscribed to several state forums (florida, nc, va) and the same poster posted the same question on each of those with just the state name changed so i would assume she is "casing" several states. almost made me want to check all the other 47 just to see who else is being considered for the new "America's Newest Resident" show.

May seem somewhat broad but in reality, it's likely an initial sweep - pretty general and vague but that's often where one starts.

and in checking (not all 47 forums but her profile), she's considering three states...I've lived in all three - I can relate to the connections.
yes that was me and va, nc, and fl are the 3 states i have in mind. for now i want to stay in the south but would like to live in thriving areas, not as bug as ATL though

Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Well.... I hear good things about NC- as far as their thriving areas, for VA I posted the same question (which is my 1st choice), and FL I've visted often and love it but am afraid of the job market. SC, I never really considered, but may now.

I didn't know NC's unemployment rate was so high. Thanks for that info because GA's unemployment rate is also the highest it's ever been and one of the highest in the nation. I definitely don't want to experience that in a new state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina