Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 14,387 times

Advertisements

Hi. New to the forum and I'm trying to learn about NC. Where would be the best place to visit that has basically your typical 4 seasons?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
your title the question you ask and the day it is ask in june puzzles me. How long of a visit is this?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:13 PM

113 posts, read 457,451 times
well, some 4 years ago we did get snowed in didn't we...for, like 2 days...hei it was great.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly526 View Post

Hi. New to the forum and I'm trying to learn about NC. Where would be the best place to visit that has basically your typical 4 seasons?

Thanks.
As far as populated areas, the Boone-Blowing Rock-Banner Elk area of NC probably has a better chance of snow than anywhere else on the average. Around a total of 40 inches during a typical winter season.

State Records

Greatest 24-hour snowfall - 36 inches at Mount Mitchell in Yancey County on March 13, 1993

Greatest single storm snowfall - 60 inches at Newfound Gap in Swain County, Great Smoky Mountains National Park (unofficial) on April 2-6, 1987 & 50 inches at Mount Mitchell in Yancey County on March 12-14, 1993.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-11-2007 at 02:15 AM..

Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly526 View Post

Thanks.
Anywhere , 4,000 feet up or more. That puts you in the heart of the Blue ridge mts. Highlands is a great place, I lived there 18 years. The winters can be rough however. Snow comes ether very little , or 3 feet over nite ! Same goes for temps. We had spikes in jan- feb. that were 20 below or more.
I like to say , the NC mountains are conditioned by the elevation, but tempered by the latitude. This means , you will have long falls , cold winters, and cool summers. I never used the AC much, did not need it. No bugs ether. The mountain roads can be tricky, as ice is a major problem, and they do not have much of a way to handle the snow removal. School is out a lot in the winter , due to the ice mostly, on the steep roadways.
The other area is Boone-Blowing Rock, a little more snow, or at least it stays longer, cause the elevations go up to 5,000 feet or more in some places.
Most of the towns are in the valleys, so those places are fine if you like less snow, but , they will be hotter in the summer.Its a trade off,2,000 to 3,000 feet -hotter in summer , and 4,000 to 5,000 feet, cool summers, but ice and snow.in winter. A milder inbetween, and a great city , is Asheville, @ about 2,500 to 3,000 feet.( does get warm there). Overall , anywhere in the Blue Ridge is hard to beat, a most beautiful part of the country. Mostly conservative , only Asheville is liberal, . The folks are big on the bible in them there hills, still make a little moonshine, and keep to themselves. If you pick a resort place like Highlands, or Blowing Rock, you will feel more comfortable, as there are lots of displaced Yankees , and outside southerners moving in, at least for the summers , to get away from the heat of Florida , and Atlanta.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:58 AM

167 posts, read 689,849 times
I am looking at moving to Indian Trail right outside of Charlotte. What type of snow do they get...If any?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags View Post
I am looking at moving to Indian Trail right outside of Charlotte. What type of snow do they get...If any?
Based on historical weather records, an average of 3"-4" during a typical winter season.

City of Charlotte - 3.9"
City of Monroe - 3.7"

Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina
Southeast Regional Climate Center

Historical Climate Data for North Carolina

Last edited by mm34b; 06-11-2007 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags View Post
Very little, however , 2 inches of snow in Charlotte , and everyone goes nuts ! The schools close, business shut down, and in general , they wait it out. Ice is a bigger problem, not uncommon in that area, can be much worse than snow, brings down the power lines , etc. I would say they have at least 2 events of one or the other, every winter. The weather comes out of the southwest. When NM gets a big storm, a couple of days later, NC gets it.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:11 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
If you are retired and employment isn't an issue I recommend the foothills region from Marion to Wilkesboro. It has four seasons: Long Spring and Fall seasons. Short winter and summers seasons neither of which are extreme. Although there is very little snow you have ski slopes within an hour's drive. Yesterday it got a bit warm here so we jumped on the motorcycle and rode forty minutes to temperatures which were 15 degrees cooler.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
If you are retired and employment isn't an issue I recommend the foothills region from Marion to Wilkesboro. It has four seasons: Long Spring and Fall seasons. Short winter and summers seasons neither of which are extreme. Although there is very little snow you have ski slopes within an hour's drive. Yesterday it got a bit warm here so we jumped on the motorcycle and rode forty minutes to temperatures which were 15 degrees cooler.
Why ride an hour or more , if you are not committed yet ? Just move to the Mountains first off............ If I were living in Lenoir, I would sell out and move up to Newland in a minute . Now that everyone is leaving Florida , there maybe some real deals available, for a winter get-a-way. Ether way , the mountains are no worse than most places in the Midwest in the winter........without the high taxes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina