Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,612 times

Advertisements

Is there a modular home builder in the Raleigh area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,342 times
Modular homes are built in a factory so the framing never gets wet, material waste is minimized, theft of materials is not an issue as it waiting on a sub-contractor to show up when promised. The floor system is built (better that stick framing) and the walls and ceilings are completed. Then, this completed "box" has to be strong enough to be lifted with a crane twice: once onto the flatbed truck for transport and again from the truck to a completed masonry foundation crawlspace or concrete slab at the job site. Most four box homes (Cape Cod style for example) can be set in two days including the roof system. Quality control is exceptional. The only limiting factor is that the width of the box is limited to 14 feet since it must be transported down state highways. However, it is amazing how the modular designers can plan and use their skills to create just about anything a customer wants.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:37 AM

5 posts, read 12,241 times
i too am looking at the Ritz-craft builders has anyone ever used them? they can say all they want about their quality, but i would like to hear from owners.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:51 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Sierra2Caden, hate to burst your bubble but, what you were told "in a real estate class" is pure bologna.

I built and lived in a modular for 34 years. Unless I told visitors it was a modular they would have never known. Most couldn't beleive it even after I told them because of pre-conceived notions.

By the way I just sold it for over $550,000 more than I paid for it. I got just about the highest price ever in my neighborhood. And this is a very good neighborhood.

Modular construction has many plusses over stick built:
None of the material ever is exposed to outside elements. All material is delivered in closed containers and unloaded inside the warehouse.

All cuts are made by use of **** so all cuts are exactly the same and at the proper angle. (Have you ever seen a builder lay a 2x4 accross his leg and cut it with a skill saw?). Most people aren't aware that trim was created to hide mistakes.

My house was made in PA. because it was sold in PA, NY, Ohio, CT and MD, All individual state building codes are incorporated into each house because it is cheaper to to all of the same.
For instance, NY has a more stringent building code for roof sheething and shingles than MD does. My house has a better roof than any stick built in the area.

Because it is built in a factory the quality control is much more stringent.

The biggest cost savings is in labor (it is cheaper pay a factory worker than it is to pay a carpenter, electrician, plumber ect on site), and time. A Modular can be ready in 6 weeks after it has been delivered to the site. Most builders won't quote that number. They want to give themselves some breathing room. I moved into mine at the 8 week mark.

I have been around construction my entire life having built houses, garages additions, decks, etc. and I will vouch for modular every time. My new house is also modular.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sierra2Caden, hate to burst your bubble but, what you were told "in a real estate class" is pure bologna.

I built and lived in a modular for 34 years. Unless I told visitors it was a modular they would have never known. Most couldn't beleive it even after I told them because of pre-conceived notions.

By the way I just sold it for over $550,000 more than I paid for it. I got just about the highest price ever in my neighborhood. And this is a very good neighborhood.

Modular construction has many plusses over stick built:
None of the material ever is exposed to outside elements. All material is delivered in closed containers and unloaded inside the warehouse.

All cuts are made by use of **** so all cuts are exactly the same and at the proper angle. (Have you ever seen a builder lay a 2x4 accross his leg and cut it with a skill saw?). Most people aren't aware that trim was created to hide mistakes.

My house was made in PA. because it was sold in PA, NY, Ohio, CT and MD, All individual state building codes are incorporated into each house because it is cheaper to to all of the same.
For instance, NY has a more stringent building code for roof sheething and shingles than MD does. My house has a better roof than any stick built in the area.

Because it is built in a factory the quality control is much more stringent.

The biggest cost savings is in labor (it is cheaper pay a factory worker than it is to pay a carpenter, electrician, plumber ect on site), and time. A Modular can be ready in 6 weeks after it has been delivered to the site. Most builders won't quote that number. They want to give themselves some breathing room. I moved into mine at the 8 week mark.

I have been around construction my entire life having built houses, garages additions, decks, etc. and I will vouch for modular every time. My new house is also modular.

First of all, you are 100% correct I think what needs to happen is that we have got to help people understand the difference between "manufactured" houses and true system built modulars - they are a universe apart. System built modulars are indeed treated like regular stick built homes for purposes of mortgages, insurance and resale value. I so wish the industry would hire a marketing firm to help them break the antiquated notion people have that true modulars are like manufactured homes. If people do their homework on this issue they will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
A good read:
Is there a difference between factory-built and manufactured housing?

These houses are sold through builders/dealers and a Real Estate license is not required.

Once they are built and resold, then a Real Estate license is required just like any other house.

Would you direct your customer to a place where you were'nt going to make any money? I would'nt

Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
There are a few near me and they look like any other house. Most are made by Superior Built Custom Homes.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
aphorista,
Did you find any in the Raleigh area?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,612 times
Hi Beckycat,

I received a pm from someone who gave me a website to check out. They have some nice looking homes and do have builders in the Raleigh area. I will PM the link to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina