Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 04:15 PM

64 posts, read 186,512 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating from VA with my four kids, ages 9-16. We are looking for a new town to start over in after a few years of bad luck. (bankruptcy, divorce, foreclosures)

1) We would like to find an area were the kids can walk and get and ice cream, a latte, or sit outside and enjoy lunch at a cafe. My kids are not into major sports, more on the lines of ice skating, laser tag, and skateboarding.

My daughter is into art, photography, manga, anime and anything Japanese, France or England related.

What about Science centers, aquariums, theme parks, water parks (here it is $38 a piece for 4 hours...YIKES)

2) I am just starting my research on different areas, but would like some in put on hospitals, crime...what areas to really avoid, shopping (food & clothes), weather (daughter can't take huge amounts of humidity) and schools. I currently academically homeschooling them. Yet, they are interested in returning to school rather it be a public, private, alternative such as a Sudbury. (I have a LD child who needs OT and Speech, which is also why we need a great hospital near by)

3) What is insurance, electricity, and taxes like?

4) How are the recycling laws? Here, we take our trash to the dump. I have a friend who lives in CT and she has to wash anything (even dog food cans) that goes into the trash and remove the labels. Just wondering if NH is that strict or not.

5) We are religious but don't go to church. (Here in Virginia you are the devil himself if you do not go to church) Want an area where it is not talked about every minute of the day.

6) I will be renting ($1000-1400) and work from home so not tied to a curtain area. My dream house would be a 4 bedroom/2 bath, with garage and yard, but could deal with 3 bedroom with full basement. Not sure if this would be out of my price range.

7) Are there areas to avoid due to smells, race tracks (noise), etc?

8) Also an area where I will NOT see anymore bumper-stickers around town that say, "Terrorism has been going on since 1861." (Civil war 1861-1865)
(True story: when I moved here I went to the land deed office. The guy heard my Boston accent and said, "You a Yankee? You better get your deed and get the hell out of here." He was NOT joking!!!!!!)

**NOT a North/South thing, just want a place where everyone is okay with each other.
I have heard the saying "CARY", NC stands for (Containment, Area-for-Relocating Yankees) lol, lol

I was also looking at Houston because I can afford rent there, but those on the Houston threads say it is 90% humidity. Just to much for my daughter to take. (Also why I crossed FL off the list) Then looked into New England area, but those on the threads say the heating bills will kill me. Others say to go to Seattle, but would like to stay on the East Coast. (Lived in Seattle 16 years ago. I just like East Coast better.)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danni~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Definitely stay away from the coast, as far as humidity. In relation ot VA, I reckon the triangle would be on par, with the triad being better, and asheville being ideal. All three of those area, in general, should have waht you're looking for.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
If she cannot take the humidity then Asheville would be your best bet. Stay away from the peidmont and coast.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni923 View Post
(daughter can't take huge amounts of humidity)
You don't want Raleigh, or most of NC except the mountains, in the summer, then!

Quote:
4) How are the recycling laws? Here, we take our trash to the dump. I have a friend who lives in CT and she has to wash anything (even dog food cans) that goes into the trash and remove the labels. Just wondering if NH is that strict or not.
People recycle voluntarily, but they are moving towards laws as landfills fill up.

Quote:
5) We are religious but don't go to church. (Here in Virginia you are the devil himself if you do not go to church) Want an area where it is not talked about every minute of the day.
Different parts of NC are more religious than others (just as in VA), but in the cities, while many/most do belong to a church and might ask you about yours, if you don't go, they'll drop it. Being "hassled" is rare.

Quote:
6) I will be renting ($1000-1400) and work from home so not tied to a curtain area. My dream house would be a 4 bedroom/2 bath, with garage and yard, but could deal with 3 bedroom with full basement. Not sure if this would be out of my price range.
That sounds very low to expect for a 4-BR house.

Quote:
I have heard the saying "CARY", NC stands for (Containment, Area-for-Relocating Yankees)
"Relocated", actually If you are concerned about North-South relations, Cary has probably the highest concentration of Northern transplants as anywhere--but remember, it's in a high humidity area and I doubt you'd find the house you seek in your price range.

Quote:
I was also looking at Houston because I can afford rent there, but those on the Houston threads say it is 90% humidity. Just to much for my daughter to take. (Also why I crossed FL off the list) Then looked into New England area, but those on the threads say the heating bills will kill me. Others say to go to Seattle, but would like to stay on the East Coast. (Lived in Seattle 16 years ago. I just like East Coast better.)
Sounds like you're doing your research, but really, you need to come down in the height of July or August to see if the heat and humidity we have would be tolerable for your daughter. It may not be Houston or FL, but it's not far from that. You're not going to avoid high humidity anywhere in the Southeast.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
You might want to consider Upstate South Carolina (Greenville/Spartanburg) area. More reasonable than Asheville, less humid than most of NC, as it's in the foothills of the mountains. About an hour south of Asheville, and an hour or so, depending on location, southwest of Charlotte. You could definitely find a rental home in that price range. Downtown Greenville is very walkable and would have everything you are looking for (ice cream, latte, etc.). The church thing is big down here though, although as was said, you probably wouldn't be hassled about it. Public schools aren't the greatest, although I'm sure you can find decent private ones. We moved down here from Asheville a couple years ago and enjoy it.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 AM

64 posts, read 186,512 times
Default areas

Thanks everyone! I am narrowing the areas down to Chapel Hill, Ashville and Charlotte. Although I am hearing the Charlotte may be a little more dirty. (Need to do more research)

Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 4BR home for $1000-1400 in Chapel Hill. Great area, terrific schools but you pay for it.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni923 View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of relocating from VA with my four kids, ages 9-16. We are looking for a new town to start over in after a few years of bad luck. (bankruptcy, divorce, foreclosures)

8) Also an area where I will NOT see anymore bumper-stickers around town that say, "Terrorism has been going on since 1861." (Civil war 1861-1865)
(True story: when I moved here I went to the land deed office. The guy heard my Boston accent and said, "You a Yankee? You better get your deed and get the hell out of here." He was NOT joking!!!!!!)

Thanks,
Danni~
Actually Danni, terrorism started way back in 1492.

Overall, being from the central northern states (honest, it wasn't our idea), we have found some of the nicest and most friendly folks here in the Raleigh area.

Those I have heard complaining generally go around saying those ugly words--BACK IN (previous home state) we did it this way. and can't seem to understand why others tend to avoid them...

Not to say that one can find intolerance and dislike here, it just doesn't seem to be as wide-spread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina