Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:35 PM

720 posts, read 1,710,344 times

Advertisements

Let me explain---HOA's are a very recent phenomena in CT---found in "over 55" and condo developments. What I am accustomed to, in the three towns I have lived in, (35,000, 20,000 and now 5,000 pop) are local town laws (no unregistered cars, 3 ft tall grass, livestock) but we do keep boats/campers on our property. My current neighborhood, homes worth $400,000---$500,000, is considered attractive and desirable. I upset one guy writing about this before, but I wonder if there are many neighborhoods where this is accepted in NC? Drive anywhere in CT, and this is the norm. I like having my RV where I can access it, and call me cheap, but don't want to pay to store it!! I also like the feeling of "individualism" in a neighborhood---and this doesn't mean run-down---it's been my experience that people will ma intain their properties to the neighborhood standard. Please don't flame me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,500 times
I have mixed feelings about them. Ours only seem to enforce whats good for them. I wish they would enforce the no commercial trucks in our neighborhood. One of my neighbors is a truck driver and he loves to park his big rig in the road for 4-5 days. I am not knocking for his job but the streets are narrow enough...He could park it at the pool during the off season....

Old 02-18-2007, 07:27 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,089,878 times
Yes, there are people here who don't like HOAs. I'm one of them. I refused to even consider a home that was in a community governed by an HOA. I'm a big girl, and don't understand the attraction of being told what to do on one's own property. I've never lived any place before where HOAs were so popular yet, amazingly people were capable of maintaining their properties. If I wanted a 40 page guide book on how to live, I would have remained a renter.

SL

Old 02-18-2007, 08:24 PM

43,326 posts, read 77,188,470 times
YOU GO, SARALEE!
"...a 40 page guide book on how to live..."
You forgot to mention, you only get to RENT that book for a monthly fee.

I call it, "Paying your neighbors to tell you how to live."

Old 02-19-2007, 06:36 AM

17,546 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Yes, there are people here who don't like HOAs. I'm one of them. I refused to even consider a home that was in a community governed by an HOA. I'm a big girl, and don't understand the attraction of being told what to do on one's own property. I've never lived any place before where HOAs were so popular yet, amazingly people were capable of maintaining their properties. If I wanted a 40 page guide book on how to live, I would have remained a renter.

SL
100% agree!!! When I bought my house in Asheville in 2005, one of the stipulations when I was looking was NO HOA! So I ended up in an older established neighborhood, well-kept but I only have to abide by city ordinances. We do have a voluntary community association with $25.00 per year dues, but that's for other stuff. I will NEVER live where I am totally restricted. But I guess some folks like that - to each his own!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,151,804 times
Has anyone ever thought about trying to abolish their community's HOA? I wonder if that's possible and what it would take. Since it's owned by the residents it seems that it should be up to a vote. Most of the regulations for the good of the homeowners are already covered by city ordinance. And, you're more likely to get enforcement from city officials than from the HOA. (At least that's the case in mine.) If anyone's ever done that I'd like to hear from you.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 AM

166 posts, read 790,422 times
I have lived in developments with and without HOA'S. I'll take one with an HOA anytime. As CharlotteAgent said there is nothing worse than living in a community where your neighbor parks his BIG rig in front of your house. And I also have nothing against hard working truck drivers since my father was one. But I once lived in a neighborhood where my neighbor ran a limo service. He had at least 6 cars parked on his lawn at all times. It just doesn't help you when prospective buyers of your home come and see this. Also Saralee, I also think most people will maintain their property, but there is also that chance of you living next to the neighborhood kook who wants to wrap his house in aluminum foil to protect them from alien rays. I'm only joking about that but you know what I mean there is one in every neighborhood. Been there, done that, don't want it again.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:05 AM

179 posts, read 706,765 times
I'm looking to retire to DE,NC, or Va. After reading some of the HOA "covenants" I refure to live in one. Items that really got to me though some would not even apply:
1)no more than 2 cars parked in the driveway,
2)let us know before you do ANY landscaping,
3)no clothes lines allowed,
4)when you sell let us know to whom (legal=??)
5)no out buildings whatsoever
6)............and the list went on.........

Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,411,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
If I wanted a 40 page guide book on how to live, I would have remained a renter.
Yeah, and ironically, most HOA's will tell you what you can and cannot do way more than any landlord I've ever had!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Has anyone ever thought about trying to abolish their community's HOA? I wonder if that's possible and what it would take. Since it's owned by the residents it seems that it should be up to a vote. Most of the regulations for the good of the homeowners are already covered by city ordinance. And, you're more likely to get enforcement from city officials than from the HOA. (At least that's the case in mine.) If anyone's ever done that I'd like to hear from you.
To ammend any HOA rules or regulations would take a 2/3 in favor by the community. Its hard enough to get people to volunteer try trying to get the entire neighborhood to vote on something!!

Ours had to do this due to some land that was supposed to be devoted to the town before the developers bailed out. I think it took close to 2 years to get any head way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina