Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,071 times

Advertisements

I live in what I like to call 'suck-ass jersey' I want out of here so bad, you don't even know. Where to start? Here in suck-ass, I can hardly afford the rent and food? what is that? some sort of luxury? I can only hope to win the lottery. Anyhow, do you get a job first? or a place to live first? Kind of a double edge sword. My dad was from Greensboro, but since I have been there (years), I hear it has turned into suburbia and not the green countryside I remember. I don't know too much about what areas are really nice and when I say really nice, I don't mean expensive. It is near impossible to find a job willing to pay for relocating. I would be happy living in a small town with not a lot of hub bub and attitude. A place were it doesn't take you 40 minutes to go up the road. I want to go to a place where I might actually be able to buy a house, not a mansion, just something I can call my own. Where I might actually have some space to plant a flower. It's really depressing me feeling like I am literally stuck here. Also I would love to look out my window and see land and grass and not someone else's kitchen window............ I love good old country living with parks, sitting on the porch at sunset, I know that sounds corny but it's true. We can't sit out on our porch without all the neighbors right there. Where do I live you may wonder? An apartment, because you can't afford anything else here. Please help me...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
In the current economy, it is an employers's market. You will only find a job that offers relocation if you have a specific skill set that an employer is after and/or you market yourself very well. That said, please find a job before coming. An employer is not going to pay for relocation for jobs in the general work force with a high number of local candidates. If you can't afford to move, then you need to find a way to save your pennies to make the move. Your chances of having relocation paid are slim unless you market yourself extremely well.

There are many, many, MANY places throughout the nation that have what you're looking for. Inexpensive living, green country side, moderate houses that are affordable. - Not just NC. Have you started researching the best places for low cost of living vs good job market?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
What chance said. You don't mention planning to get a job lined up, but that's a must before moving to a state with one of the highest unemployment rates in the naiton right now. What field of work are you in? Just because you want to get "out of NJ" doesn't mean NC is the best place. It is true that many places that were green countryside a few years ago have been taken over by growth and strip malls, etc. We are among the top states for population growth, and that's what happens when thousands (like you, potentially) move in--the natural areas are destroyed to build more room for them.

That said, there are still areas outside Greensboro that are relatively undeveloped. There is a separate subforum here for the Triad area where you could get specifics--but we're serious about finding a job wherever you're moving before you move.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM

I did mention the job thing.............(job first or housing) Thanks for your input

Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Anyone else?? If you know of any areas I might look into that would be great, thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
jacksonville NC has the lowest unemployment in the state, i believe.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeleary View Post
I live in what I like to call 'suck-ass jersey' I want out of here so bad, you don't even know. Where to start? Here in suck-ass, I can hardly afford the rent and food? what is that? some sort of luxury? I can only hope to win the lottery. Anyhow, do you get a job first? or a place to live first? Kind of a double edge sword. My dad was from Greensboro, but since I have been there (years), I hear it has turned into suburbia and not the green countryside I remember. I don't know too much about what areas are really nice and when I say really nice, I don't mean expensive. It is near impossible to find a job willing to pay for relocating. I would be happy living in a small town with not a lot of hub bub and attitude. A place were it doesn't take you 40 minutes to go up the road. I want to go to a place where I might actually be able to buy a house, not a mansion, just something I can call my own. Where I might actually have some space to plant a flower. It's really depressing me feeling like I am literally stuck here. Also I would love to look out my window and see land and grass and not someone else's kitchen window............ I love good old country living with parks, sitting on the porch at sunset, I know that sounds corny but it's true. We can't sit out on our porch without all the neighbors right there. Where do I live you may wonder? An apartment, because you can't afford anything else here. Please help me...........
A job HAS to come first.

What is your field, people can't just recommend jobs at random

Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
jacksonville NC has the lowest unemployment in the state, i believe.
Only because of all the government/military contracts. Since the OP hasn't told us what his profession is, I'm not sure he'd find a job there. But it was a good thought

Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeleary View Post
I worked in NJ for two years ending early this year...and I have to ask: You are just finding this out?
There are numerous jobs in states surrounding NJ,why not start there?

Honestly,if you are unsuccessful in NJ,doesn't that say more about YOU than it does about NJ?
Without significant changes in you and your attitudes,how can you honestly expect to be successful elsewhere?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM

73 posts, read 115,049 times
Check out Salisbury. This very nice town is within 20 minutes to half an hour drive to both the Charlotte metro and the Triad. Specificly, on I-85 it takes 20 minutes to get to Concord (Charlotte metro) going South and less than that to reach High Point (the Triad) going North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina