Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 PM

11 posts, read 33,170 times

Advertisements

Help! So I got a speeding ticket the other day and am sort of panicking with what I need to get together prior to court date. My car still has California plates, is registered to my parents who still live in California, is fully insured (but in California), but I have my NC drivers' license.

My big question is: Does my car have to have NC tags even though the owners live in California?

I'll be trying to get the ticket thrown out or at least dropped down to a lesser violation, will the out-of-state tags make things more complicated? Should I lawyer up like a bunch of people say I should (which is strange to me bc no one lawyers up in CA for a traffic violation)?

Thanks for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM

118 posts, read 279,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniesayshi View Post
Help! So I got a speeding ticket the other day and am sort of panicking with what I need to get together prior to court date. My car still has California plates, is registered to my parents who still live in California, is fully insured (but in California), but I have my NC drivers' license.

My big question is: Does my car have to have NC tags even though the owners live in California?

I'll be trying to get the ticket thrown out or at least dropped down to a lesser violation, will the out-of-state tags make things more complicated? Should I lawyer up like a bunch of people say I should (which is strange to me bc no one lawyers up in CA for a traffic violation)?

Thanks for any and all help!
Odds are that you will probably be flooded with several advertising letters from numerous traffic lawyers in the very near future; advising you to not do this, or do that...but above all, CALL THEM TO MAKE IT ALL GO AWAY!

First of all, calm down and take a deep breath. You are doing yourself no favors by panic and needless fear. Things are not near as bad as you may think. Honsetly. You were cited for speeding; not drunk driving or vehicular homicide.......

Next, consider consulting a traffic attorney if you are dead-set on going to court and fighting this. Utilize the yellow pages, or do a google search, or read through those silly advertising letters you are getting. Remember that you might have to pay some hefty fees if you choose the wrong lawyer, or if you lose in court. There IS another option, too.....

If you HONESTLY did break the law.....and only you truly know if you did or not.... You could always just show some responsibility and pay your ticket off without going to court.

Remember, never make an important decision when you're panicked or very upset. Think about it, and good luck to you.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:24 PM

61 posts, read 359,128 times
Look into going to traffic school in the area where you got the ticket. In most situations the costs are about the same as paying the ticket (or about $50-$100 less than a lawayer) but the ticket is either dropped or reduced and nothing happens to your license or insurance.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,735 times
How fast were you going? If it's not too bad, you can probably take care of it yourself without the need for an attorney. Call the district attorney's office in the county where you got the ticket and ask if it would be possible for you to discuss the ticket with one of the assistant DAs prior to your court date. When you talk to the ADA, if you think you were ticketed unfairly then politely and concisely explain why and ask that he consider dropping the charge (not likely to happen). Otherwise, (or if he declines), let him know that you're interrested in resolving the matter outside of court if he'd be willing to accept a plea to a lesser charge. Ideally, you want this to be a non-moving violation or "inappropriate equipment" (if you "need to have your speedometer recalibrated"). If he's not willing to accept that, then speeding less than 10 MPH above the limit will prevent an increase to your auto INS (if it's a NC policy and your only speeding ticket within a 3yr timeframe - if its a CA policy, your mileage may vary). Hope that helps; best of luck!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 33,170 times
Thanks for all the advice you guys! It's all been very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina