Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,301,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Let me give you one difference on the interstate system. When you drive into Charlotte or Raleigh and see signs for the inner loop or outer loop and have a few seconds to figure out what this means it can get hectic. Outer loop means driving around the city counter clockwise. The inner loop is clockwise. I have never seen this in anyplace except NC. I am used the signs indicating directions.

I just think you really need to understand a belt loop
It hard to have a north or south , east or west when you are going around in a circle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 AM

353 posts, read 456,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARDENGAL60 View Post
Hi,
I too moved from NJ to NC back in eary 1996. I grew up in Brick and first moved to Cary, NC. Currently, I'm over in Elon. The things that I noticed that were different than Jersey:
1. People come right up to you and save "HEY" and wave jut to be nice. In the beginning I thought I was going to get mugged. It was the most un-nerving thing for the first few months until I got used to it.
2. It takes awhile to understand the accent. Depending where you are in the state and each accent is different and they use different phrases for things. (e.g. someone asks for a pen to write with it sounds like pin)
3. You can pump your own gas.
4. When they drive it is slooooooooooow. I almost rear-ended a few people in the beginning. I thought their car had stalled out. Nope, it's a crawl of a turn.
5. They don't use turn signals. I was told by a few locals this is just a suggestion (LOL).
6. They don't make a complete stop. They roll thru stop signs.
7. The pace is much slower than NJ.
8. A good portion of the locals hate the North. They feel the Yankees as they call us northerners have ruined the true south by moving and staying down here. I still have a NJ accent but not as much as I did when I first moved here. They would look at me and say "your not from around here are you?" I had one ask me if I was a foreigner.
9. The diet down here is very fatty. Gravies and fried food.
10. The further out into the country you go to live the more the movie Deliverence comes to mind.
11. The summers are HOT and HUMID compared to NJ. The last few years it has seemed to be worse. Today it is 102.
12. They tax everything. This includes clothes. It's cheaper to order from a catalog than to buy it in the store.
13. The car and property taxes are alot lower than NJ. So is the insurance.
14. Good place to live and work with the right job. As far as retirement, another less humid and taxing place should be considered.
I agree with most of what is said here except I would like to comment on #8. I personally have not ever received hate for being from another state (moved here from MD). People will probably have different experiences in different areas though. Here in Greenville there are many people moving here from many different areas, not just the northeast, especially since there is a major university here.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM

66 posts, read 284,260 times
I found it funny that NJ drivers would complain about NC drivers. I have been on the NJ Turnpike and never seen anything close to the antics experienced in NJ.

In Pinehurst / Southern Pines we have been slowing down building growth with a vengance. However, anyone who want to improve their property is welcomed. As far as the Yankee thing, most of the Yankees that came down since 1880 are now the natives and are OK with northerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina