Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 15,675 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed since Jan 09.
I was under a 13 week EUC that ran out on June 1st. I was told that my base periods from 4Q2008 through 1Q2009 were not substantial enough to qualify me for EB. There are zeroes when i look at my information online on my benefit history online and at my local office there is an issue 17 listed. My question is, will i be eligible for EUC again if/when congress gives more EUC? I sternly believe that they will, it is just a matter of time.

Right now i am broke as a mirror in an opera house but i am trying to stay positive. Any information that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsensation View Post
I have been unemployed since Jan 09.
I was under a 13 week EUC that ran out on June 1st. I was told that my base periods from 4Q2008 through 1Q2009 were not substantial enough to qualify me for EB. There are zeroes when i look at my information online on my benefit history online and at my local office there is an issue 17 listed. My question is, will i be eligible for EUC again if/when congress gives more EUC? I sternly believe that they will, it is just a matter of time.

Right now i am broke as a mirror in an opera house but i am trying to stay positive. Any information that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Code 17 means "monetarily ineligible". However, usually when someone monetarily qualifies for EUC, they would monetarily qualify for EB...it's the same monetary requirement.

Now, you may be in your 2nd benefit year, and received regular UI again, in your 2nd benefit year, which would preclude you from receiving EB, that's true. If that's the case, then whenever you finish EUC would be it for you as far as benefits.

Keep in mind that what Congress is working on does NOT include additional tiers of EUC. It's just extending the validity period of the existing tiers that are already out there. So when your current balance of EUC (Tiers 1, 2, 3, 4) is exhausted, that would be it.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Code 17 means "monetarily ineligible". However, usually when someone monetarily qualifies for EUC, they would monetarily qualify for EB...it's the same monetary requirement.

Now, you may be in your 2nd benefit year, and received regular UI again, in your 2nd benefit year, which would preclude you from receiving EB, that's true. If that's the case, then whenever you finish EUC would be it for you as far as benefits.

Keep in mind that what Congress is working on does NOT include additional tiers of EUC. It's just extending the validity period of the existing tiers that are already out there. So when your current balance of EUC (Tiers 1, 2, 3, 4) is exhausted, that would be it.
I am in my 2nd year and im assuming i am on regular UI but im confused as im sure i went through tiers 1 - 4 LAST YEAR, but as of now, i had 13 weeks end very recently and thats it. I don't understand how those unemployed longer than me are eligible but i am not at this point.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I am in my 2nd year and im assuming i am on regular UI but im confused as im sure i went through tiers 1 - 4 LAST YEAR, but as of now, i had 13 weeks end very recently and thats it. I don't understand how those unemployed longer than me are eligible but i am not at this point.
I know a lot of people don't understand, but simply, everyone doesn't qualify for the exact same duration of benefits. It's ALL based on work and earnings in the base period. Based on wages in the base period, some folks qualify for only the minimum 13 weeks of regular UI, and no more. Others qualify for the maximum 26 weeks of regular UI and every extension that's out there, then have enough wages in the base period and have worked part time employment during their claim to qualify to do it all over again when their benefit year ends. Others yet qualify for somewhere in between.

One scenario is that you may have received 13 weeks of regular UI in your 2nd benefit year and did not qualify for NEW extensions in that 2nd benefit year. In this case, you'd be waiting for a "pull forward" to transfer any unused EUC (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4) money from your previous benefit year to your current benefit year. That is not automatic, and is programming that is run periodically by EUC (had been on Tuesdays, but not recently, but I'm hopeful that with some additional programming now complete for something else, they'll get back on track to run the pull-forward programming on Tuesdays).

Another scenario is that you DID qualify for new extensions in your 2nd benefit year, but because you exhausted regular UI after May 22nd, you are awaiting the Senate vote to extend the EUC programming in order to begin the EUC in your 2nd benefit year.

Without looking at your claim, I'm not sure exactly. But it's something along either of those lines, likely.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 53,518 times
jdljr, thanks again for all your advice. I have a question...suprise!

My first benefit year ended June 12. I looked at my claim profile yesterday and it had new amounts based on the new year. Is this what I will get? Also, when do I need to start my new claim? June 14 is the new year and I was going to do it then.

TIA

Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of people don't understand, but simply, everyone doesn't qualify for the exact same duration of benefits. It's ALL based on work and earnings in the base period. Based on wages in the base period, some folks qualify for only the minimum 13 weeks of regular UI, and no more. Others qualify for the maximum 26 weeks of regular UI and every extension that's out there, then have enough wages in the base period and have worked part time employment during their claim to qualify to do it all over again when their benefit year ends. Others yet qualify for somewhere in between.

One scenario is that you may have received 13 weeks of regular UI in your 2nd benefit year and did not qualify for NEW extensions in that 2nd benefit year. In this case, you'd be waiting for a "pull forward" to transfer any unused EUC (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4) money from your previous benefit year to your current benefit year. That is not automatic, and is programming that is run periodically by EUC (had been on Tuesdays, but not recently, but I'm hopeful that with some additional programming now complete for something else, they'll get back on track to run the pull-forward programming on Tuesdays).

Another scenario is that you DID qualify for new extensions in your 2nd benefit year, but because you exhausted regular UI after May 22nd, you are awaiting the Senate vote to extend the EUC programming in order to begin the EUC in your 2nd benefit year.

Without looking at your claim, I'm not sure exactly. But it's something along either of those lines, likely.
Is there a way i can show you my claim info? I am in my 2nd benefit year, laid off from my job in jan 09. I am just hoping i am in the scenario that congress should overturn but i am very uncertain and it looks grim right now. I know i used all of tiers 1- 4 last year so i was told there was no money to pull forward and that pull forwards cant even be done for EB. I dont think i qualified for any extensions as my base periods did not amount to sufficient wages to make me monetarily eligible.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex278 View Post
jdljr, thanks again for all your advice. I have a question...suprise!

My first benefit year ended June 12. I looked at my claim profile yesterday and it had new amounts based on the new year. Is this what I will get? Also, when do I need to start my new claim? June 14 is the new year and I was going to do it then.

TIA

Hmmmm. If your benefit year ended just yesterday, I'm not sure why it would be showing new amounts if you've not yet filed a new benefit year. If/when you do file for a new benefit year, if you have enough wages in the base period AND you have worked in your previous benefit year and earned at least $4550, you will qualify for a new benefit year, starting over again with regular UI. If you don't meet the requirements for a new benefit year, then a "dummy" benefit year will be established when you file for your 2nd benefit year, and the unused extension money from your first benefit year would be transferred to your new benefit year for you to draw.

You can file a new benefit year beginning today, if you wish, either online, via the toll free number, or tomorrow by visiting your local office.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Is there a way i can show you my claim info? I am in my 2nd benefit year, laid off from my job in jan 09. I am just hoping i am in the scenario that congress should overturn but i am very uncertain and it looks grim right now. I know i used all of tiers 1- 4 last year so i was told there was no money to pull forward and that pull forwards cant even be done for EB. I dont think i qualified for any extensions as my base periods did not amount to sufficient wages to make me monetarily eligible.
Yea, if you're in your 2nd benefit year and received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, then no, you wouldn't qualify for EB in that 2nd benefit year to be transferred from the 1st benefit year. And if you've used up all of your Tier 1-4 in your first benefit year and didn't qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then it would seem your benefits are exhausted. If you've used up all of your Tier 1-4 already in your first benefit year and didn't qualify for EB or NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then the pending Senate vote would have zero effect on your claim, as there would be no more benefits for you to draw.

If you'll contact someone at your local office, they should be able to tell you what's happening with your claim, and exactly where you are at. I answer questions on these boards from home and don't have the means to view claims from here.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Yea, if you're in your 2nd benefit year and received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, then no, you wouldn't qualify for EB in that 2nd benefit year to be transferred from the 1st benefit year. And if you've used up all of your Tier 1-4 in your first benefit year and didn't qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then it would seem your benefits are exhausted. If you've used up all of your Tier 1-4 already in your first benefit year and didn't qualify for EB or NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then the pending Senate vote would have zero effect on your claim, as there would be no more benefits for you to draw.

If you'll contact someone at your local office, they should be able to tell you what's happening with your claim, and exactly where you are at. I answer questions on these boards from home and don't have the means to view claims from here.
Yeah, i told you what they told me. I used tier 1 - 4 during my first year. My 2nd year started in march and was for 13 weeks. Now im not eligible for anything because the base period is 4th quarter 2008 and 1st quarter 2009. I lost my job end of jan 2009. So basically im screwed no matter what right?

Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, i told you what they told me. I used tier 1 - 4 during my first year. My 2nd year started in march and was for 13 weeks. Now im not eligible for anything because the base period is 4th quarter 2008 and 1st quarter 2009. I lost my job end of jan 2009. So basically im screwed no matter what right?
Well, unfortunately, if you've used up all of your EUC from the first year, and you didn't qualify for NEW extensions in the second year, then I would surmise that yes, your benefits are exhausted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina