Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times

Advertisements

There's a big difference between ND "middle of nowhere" and CA "middle of nowhere". In ND, MT, and other chunks of the great plains, if you're out in ND/MT Nowhere by yourself, chances are you're the only person for miles in any direction; you might drive half a day on back roads and never see another car, or evidence of human habitation. Not so in CA Nowhere -- there's probably someone just around the next bend, and someone living just up beyond that, and the road is never truly empty no matter how far you get into the backbeyond (well, maybe clear up NE of Susanville, but even down here in the 'empty" SoCal desert there's almost always other people relatively close). Someone sensitive to that "pressure" one gets from masses of humanity, who feels crowded by it, will notice the difference, even when both places LOOK just as empty at first glance. City folks usually don't feel the diff, or get spooked by the emptiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
Default looking for a place in north dakota

be very thorough in your research of an area. see how long the average "length of stay" is. remember, "small town stuff", is just that. i found out the hard way. when they say beware, they mean it. once you step on one person's foot, all the others jerk back. we're literally trapped in our little h*&l hole. no law around. they make their own rules. ever see "wrong turn?" it's 100000 times worse, oh. north dakota ranked #1 on the highest corruption of government officals..... the people are .....scarey i am even afraid what "THEY" might do to me if I name the town.
Nevada was everything you'd dream of, hop, skip, and jump from Tahoe....beautiful, friendly people, lot's of things to do. Hey, the cops even allow TINTED WINDOWS on cars (wonder why police are so FRIGHTENED of tinted windows up here??? ugly people, perhaps?). You haven't purchased yet, have you?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekinparadise View Post
Nevada was everything you'd dream of, hop, skip, and jump from Tahoe....beautiful, friendly people, lot's of things to do.
Too bad it's hotter than hell four months of the year and about as dry. Of course Utah is about the same. That's one reason I'm looking forward to the day I'm outta here... (Utah, that is). I'm so sick of hot, dusty deserts that I could vomit. It's been over 90 degrees and often close to 100 daily here for god knows how long--months. Ahhhhhhh! If it were winter year around here, I wouldn't be so down on the place (other than way too many people; that's another problem).

Of course, it's different for everyone. I'm not all that much of a "people person." I'm friendly enough and not rude or anything, but I keep to myself and mind my own business. So, my life doesn't really center around how people are in the area I live. I really don't know many of them! I'm fine with them as long as they give me my space. To each his/her own is my motto. On the other hand, climate and geography are a huge part of my life. I think North Dakota will agree with me as far as climate/geography--cold winters, short summers that can be a little hot at times but not for months and months on end. Sounds good!

As for people... as long as I'm not moving into the middle of a coven of angry witches or something, well, I'll be fine. I tend to just naturally get along with most everyone. And I don't have tinted windows, so I guess they won't come looking for me with torches and pitchforks for that.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekinparadise View Post
north dakota ranked #1 on the highest corruption of government officals..... <snip> Hey, the cops even allow TINTED WINDOWS on cars (wonder why police are so FRIGHTENED of tinted windows up here???
Restrictions on tinted windows happen because poor tinting jobs restrict your vision so you are more likely to have an accident. This is why factory tinting is often allowed when aftermarket tinting is not.

As to corruption, if you read the whole article that stat came from, it appears that ND is actually best at catching and prosecuting corruption. Illinois ranked near the "least corruption" by that chart, which is hilarious if you know the first thing about Chicago politics. Illinois has "no corruption" because it is rarely prosecuted, not because it never happens.

If you have 10 corrupt cops out of 100, and you catch/prosecute all of them, that looks a whole lot worst statistically than if you have 1000 corrupt cops out of 3000, and catch/prosecute only one of them. But that would probably be a fair comparison, if ALL the numbers were known, between, say, ND and IL.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM

276 posts, read 792,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Too bad it's hotter than hell four months of the year and about as dry. Of course Utah is about the same. That's one reason I'm looking forward to the day I'm outta here... (Utah, that is). I'm so sick of hot, dusty deserts that I could vomit. It's been over 90 degrees and often close to 100 daily here for god knows how long--months. Ahhhhhhh! If it were winter year around here, I wouldn't be so down on the place (other than way too many people; that's another problem).

Of course, it's different for everyone. I'm not all that much of a "people person." I'm friendly enough and not rude or anything, but I keep to myself and mind my own business. So, my life doesn't really center around how people are in the area I live. I really don't know many of them! I'm fine with them as long as they give me my space. To each his/her own is my motto. On the other hand, climate and geography are a huge part of my life. I think North Dakota will agree with me as far as climate/geography--cold winters, short summers that can be a little hot at times but not for months and months on end. Sounds good!

As for people... as long as I'm not moving into the middle of a coven of angry witches or something, well, I'll be fine. I tend to just naturally get along with most everyone. And I don't have tinted windows, so I guess they won't come looking for me with torches and pitchforks for that.
OH that I was in Utah, ND or any place away from this hot humid bug infested FL. I am attempting to sell so that I can leave. I'll take the dust any day compared to this humid steambath with the flat topography. I absolutely hate it!!! I have been here for years caring for an elderly parent that passed away. I just can't understand why people want to live in this horrible place!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
OH that I was in Utah, ND or any place away from this hot humid bug infested FL. I am attempting to sell so that I can leave. I'll take the dust any day compared to this humid steambath with the flat topography. I absolutely hate it!!! I have been here for years caring for an elderly parent that passed away. I just can't understand why people want to live in this horrible place!
Well, I hate Utah summers, but I literally would die in Florida. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in the heat AND humidity. I hate hot weather, but add in high humidity... well No thanks! It's either move north or move to a high elevation like Leadville, CO or something for me. I think I will like the North Dakota prairie, though. We'll see!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM

276 posts, read 792,789 times
Quote:
Well, I hate Utah summers, but I literally would die in Florida. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in the heat AND humidity. I hate hot weather, but add in high humidity... well No thanks! It's either move north or move to a high elevation like Leadville, CO or something for me. I think I will like the North Dakota prairie, though. We'll see!
Good luck and God's speed! I lived in CO Springs for a short time. I liked it, but it's just too crowded for me. I could take Leadville too! You're wise to stay clear of FL. It's so miserable now that I feel like I'm sucking in hot water into my lungs!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,058 times
[quote=Lariat;15098464]

<<<<<<<I hadn't thought hard about trees in N.D. I know they are scarce. I do need firewood, obviously. Hmm. >>>>>>>

Have you considered a corn-burner stove instead of a woodstove???

Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 PM

231 posts, read 736,429 times
Quote:
I hate hot weather, but add in high humidity... well No thanks!
Are you aware of what summers are like in the midcontinent states? Most of the summer is 80+F and 80+% humidity during the day, still over 70% at night. If you don't like heat and humidity, I suggest you re-evaluate your chose of destination.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
Are you aware of what summers are like in the midcontinent states? Most of the summer is 80+F and 80+% humidity during the day, still over 70% at night. If you don't like heat and humidity, I suggest you re-evaluate your chose of destination.
It's, on average, above 90 and pushing 100 (sometimes even higher) around 62 days out of the year where I live. Looking at the climate averages, I see that it goes above 90 only 10 days per year on average in the Park River area. Still more than I'd like to see... but an improvement.

'Course, in the Houghton area of UP Michgan (another region I've considered) it only reaches 90 one day per year on average. And it's never reached 100 in recorded history. That rocks! Unfortunately, I don't see such good real estate deals there as I do in northeast North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota