Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,245 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and could use any advice! In just a few months, my family will be moving from Wisconsin over to Bismarck for my husband's job. We have 2 little boys who are excited and nervous to be moving. We visited the area earlier this summer and liked what we saw, but of course there is only so much you can see and do in a few days.

We are still undecided on renting vs. buying, as we aren't sure if this is a permanent or more short-term (less than 5 years) job transfer. We currently live in a large 2-year-old home with a huge yard and would like to keep at least some of the space when chosing a new place so the kids have some room to run! Can anyone give us any tips on where are the best place(s) to live in the area or playgroup type groups to join (kids are ages 2 and 4)? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 PM

246 posts, read 1,006,654 times
I would say best bet is to rent initially and then see how you like the area. I could tell you of areas I like, but you may not , and vice versa.

If you do decide to buy, give a look to the outskirts of town to the east between bismarck and apple valley. Some nice housing with lots of land too, yet still a nice community.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,136 times
The Bismarck Public Library has a huge number of storytimes each week for toddlers and preschoolers. It's a great activity for kids and a good place to meet other parents.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 14,245 times
Thank you for the responses. We are leaning toward renting for the first few months, as we found out the company will take care of the costs of 90 days of rent. Thank you for the suggestion about storytime. I will check that out.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,630 times
Hi there.. We moved here from Wisconsin just over a year ago. I really thought I would hate it out here, but instead I really like it. We live in Washburn, which is about 32 miles north of Bismarck. People are so friendly around here. I hope you have lots of good luck in your move.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,774 times
What parts of Wisconsin did y'all live in? I am moving to ND from NW Wisconsin (near a town called "Washburn", oddly enough)

Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,630 times
sorry it took so long to answer.. We lived in between Madison and La Crosse Wi...Mauston/Necedah area... We love it out here..

Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM

142 posts, read 417,306 times
I am from NW Wisconsin and just got back from a week visit to NW North Dakota. I know little about the Bismark area but what I saw where I was I was much impressed with. The people are VERY friendly. There is a sense of community there. I was most impressed with the teens and young adults. I had several of them say "Hello" to me. I'm not used to young people going out of their way to say "Hi" to a middle aged woman. Never once did I see a young man with his baseball cap cocked sideways or his pant anywhere but on his waist! Kids don't get this way by accident.....hats off to the parents of these kids!
Grocery prices are higher. I saw a gallon of Land O Lakes milk in a small town grocery store for $6.29 a gallon. That was sticker shock to a cheese head who was raised on a WI dairy farm!!!
It is windy much of the time and can be dusty. Winters are rough even for Wisconsinites (my husband has been working the oil fields for the past 14 months). The oil boom has made for more traffic that they are not yet ready to handle but that is not as big of an issue in the Bismark area.
I saw larger families who appeared to have "stay at home moms". How blessed for many families to have the higher wages to allow for moms to be home.
The drug store in the small town I stayed in still had a soda fountain in the back of the store. Have not seen that since I was a young girl!
The state has a seven BILLION dollar surplus. Even the small town I was in has all newer schools, new snow removal equipment, a revamped downtown, some nice parks and a swimming pool.
Starting next summer, I hope to spend much of the year in ND. I wish you the best with your move. I feel confident that you will like Bismark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota